8 Games that Didn't Live Up to Their Hype

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Games that Didn't Live Up to Their Hype

Almost every game gets hyped to some degree, but these eight games got a ton of hype, and fell far short of living up to it.

Read Full Article

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
If I remember correctly Epic Games didn't only want all copies of Too Human pulled from the shelves (the fact there was still copies on shelves puzzled me), they also wanted them destroyed along with a collection of other games. Well at least Silicon Knights all taught us something that day, you slight Epic Games and they will destroy you, make you pay for it and publicize it.

Silentpony said:
Aww Destiny and Duke Nukem Forever didn't make the cut?
I'm surprised that Yooka Laylee isn't there either, though I don't know why Haze and Homefront are there as I thought they weren't nearly as hyped. All I remember of Haze was a bunch of dumb banner ads on web pages and a friend who kept claiming it was so cool. As for Homefront, all I know is it got a sequel that flopped as well. Oh wait MAG was also a really hyped up game that flopped!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Nile McMorrow said:
...though I don't know why Haze and Homefront are there as I thought they weren't nearly as hyped.
Haze did get a fair bit of hype and a really slick trailer (which, of course, didn't feature any actual gameplay). The company was pretty big on declaring it a "Halo-killer", but I doubt anyone really believed it.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
You know, this list has me thinking - Has Ubisoft considered porting Red Steel (or the apparently much better Red Steel 2) over to VR? I imagine there would be better control over movement with something like Playstation VR or the Vive with their more accurate motion sensors.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Queen Michael said:
No article about overhyped games is complete without Daikatana. :)
Indeed, I was almost worried when I hit nr 7 on the list and still no Daikatana. Then came 8 and lo and behold, there it was, and all was well.
Pyrian said:
What, no Star Citizen? >:D
Maybe they're saving that for the list of "games that don't live up to their hype even before full release".
It could probably take up all 8 spots by itself.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Silentpony said:
duke nukem seriously needed to be on it and even though i eventually fell in love with the game so does mass effect andromeda

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Nile McMorrow said:
I'm surprised that Yooka Laylee isn't there either
Yooka Laylee was what it always claimed to be, a 90s style platformer just like Banjo Kazooie, which is exactly what it was.

A few people with overly rose tinted views of how those game actually were isn't the fault of the developers.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Nile McMorrow said:
I'm surprised that Yooka Laylee isn't there either
Yooka Laylee was what it always claimed to be, a 90s style platformer just like Banjo Kazooie, which is exactly what it was.

A few people with overly rose tinted views of how those game actually were isn't the fault of the developers.
That doesn't change the fact that people hyped it up as the unofficial return of Banjo Kazooie and were fully expecting a game just like it and got something that loosely followed the formula and style, which is kinda what the article was about.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Chimpzy said:
Queen Michael said:
No article about overhyped games is complete without Daikatana. :)
Indeed, I was almost worried when I hit nr 7 on the list and still no Daikatana. Then came 8 and lo and behold, there it was, and all was well.
Pyrian said:
Maybe they're saving that for the list of "games that don't live up to their hype even before full release".
It could probably take up all 8 spots by itself.
It sure could. There was an article in Level magazine about it a while back. 24 pages all about how something could go so horribly wrong.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Pyrian said:
Maybe he doesn't want to receive death threats from the Star Citizen uber-fan brigade who can't abide any criticism of their precious money sink? After all, if they spent thousands on ships that don't exist yet, it has to be amazing!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Wasn't Red Steel 2 like a million times more awesome though? Or so I've heard, never had a Wii.
Pyrian said:
Can't not live up to the hype if the hype train hasn't reached the station yet.

Blackknight7W said:
Wasn't there just a "8 games that just couldn't live up to the hype" list back in April?
Welcome to the new Escapist Magazine, where new content is a scary thing.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Controls in Mighty No.9 were pretty spot on, actually, one need only play it or read some of the several early reviews of the game which released before everyone needlessly jumped on the hate bandwagon.😏

Compared to older Megaman games, the level design was somewhere on the middle of the spectrum, not as bad as Megaman's worst, but not quite as good as Megaman's best. Mighty No.9 was less a case of a game not living up to a hype, and more a case of a game being needlessly picked apart and over-scrutinized to fit popular opinion.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
pookie101 said:
Silentpony said:
duke nukem seriously needed to be on it and even though i eventually fell in love with the game so does mass effect andromeda
I'm pretty sure nobody expected anything from either of those games, so they couldn't even fail at living up to hype because there wasn't any.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Hawk of Battle said:
pookie101 said:
Silentpony said:
I'm pretty sure nobody expected anything from either of those games, so they couldn't even fail at living up to hype because there wasn't any.
i will admit i was expecting alot from andromeda