8 Games that Let You Play God

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Played the hell out of The Sims and Black & White when it first came out. Good memories there.
Wanted to play spore but couldn't because of DRM and principles.

Personally my favorites are Dungeon Keeper 2, Startopia, Dwarf fortess, Gnomoria and Rimworld.
All god games, at least according to Wikipedia. ,)

Looking forward to seeing how Unclaimed World will turn out.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
From Dust was only okay.
I remember spending hours building up islands and shit, doing everything the lest efficient way possible because the game was very stingy on what constituted enough of a wall to stop a tsunami.
Also I probably dropped an entire Great Lake's worth of water on volcanoes to get them to stop. Surprisingly effective.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Glad you included Actraiser. One of the things I never appreciated when it came out was not only did your progress in the Overworld improve your character in the side-scrolling stages, but how well you did in the side-scrolling stages in turn got you more resources in the overworld (more points = larger population bumps.) I was extremely disappointed that the sequel didn't have any of the overworld features.

I would love for Square-Enix to revisit the brand. Or if not someone to make a spiritual successor.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ah, Black and White, how I love thee. I remember playing the first one, and having my monkey pet going about the village, learning what I was teaching him. I was going good route, so I was teaching him how to provide food/water/etc, dance for the villages, the whole nine yards. Then, he did something one evening that totally shocked me.

It was dusk, and time for everyone to go home. I was scanning the village and surrounding areas, planning my next several steps towards victory through goodness, and I noticed my monkey get fixated on this one villager. I didn't pay it too much attention at first, until he picked her up. I instantly whipped over to him, ready to spank him for either eating/throwing the villager. But before I could do anything, he started to calmly walk towards the center of town. The villager was on the outskirts of the village, working in a field. My monkey walked her to her house, set her at the doorstep, so she could go home and go to bed. See, she was elderly, and was so elderly that her movement speed was seriously reduced. So, my pet, of his own accord decided to develop an Elderly Villager Public Transportation Service. And proceeded to regularly do it for any old villagers, who were having trouble getting home in a reasonable amount of time. I gave that monkey so many good boy belly rubs it wasn't even funny. That was when I truly fell in love with that game, for how it surprised me with things like that.

That and the music when your pets would fight was just awesome. That drum beat, awh man. xD

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
How about Garry's Mod?

Yes, it's unconventional but compared to all these games, with the right mods, you have so much more fine control. And on the individual level too.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Sim City is my pick but seeing The Sims up here reminds me of this:

http://kotaku.com/the-sims-players-confess-their-most-evil-deeds-1694855714

The Sims truly is the most drastic God simulator. A divine wrath awaits those who inadvertently annoy the player.

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
What, no Godus :)?

Unfortunately God games seem to be one of those genres that hasn't been able to make a comeback the way, say, adventure games kinda-sorta have.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Games that Let You Play God

Sometimes everyone wants a chance to play god, and these eight games let you do just that.

Read Full Article

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Is THIS what it has come to?

Bumping TWO YEAR OLD topics?

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
What the... did they actually necro one of these after two years and try to pass it off as new? What?

Okamisama

Sep 23, 2015
Anti-American Eagle said:
What the... did they actually necro one of these after two years and try to pass it off as new? What?
Yep, every 4 out of 5 of these idiotic posts are necros of the same topic years ago. It's what happens when you don't have any content providers aside from one money maker and the gamefaqs reposter. A shame they can't necro some of the actually good content they had, but Defy Media is a company too cheap to even hire a decent necromancer who can raise more than a finger or two.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Mahoshonen said:
Glad you included Actraiser. One of the things I never appreciated when it came out was not only did your progress in the Overworld improve your character in the side-scrolling stages, but how well you did in the side-scrolling stages in turn got you more resources in the overworld (more points = larger population bumps.) I was extremely disappointed that the sequel didn't have any of the overworld features.

I would love for Square-Enix to revisit the brand. Or if not someone to make a spiritual successor.
ActRaiser was a game I really liked and honestly wish there were more games that used the same idea. I think Soul Blazer used a similar idea, where you had to clear out the monsters first so you could pave way for civilization to reclaim the area(in Soul Blazer, killing monsters actually restored parts of the town).