8 Games that We'd Like to See Remastered

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013

There have been plenty of remastered games released of late, but these eight deserve a new lease on life as well.

Read Full Article

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I wanna see Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3 remastered... well, I guess remade. New HD sprites in either of those styles would be amazing, and the level design in both still holds up really well.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. But I don't want them to just toss them into NSMB's style. Those games are so bland-looking.

P.P.P.S. And Super Mario Maker doesn't count. I'm pretty sure it can't even do half of SMW's stages.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
None of them need remastering expect for X-Wing / TIE Fighter which needs to be remade. Most games need porting tbh.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Star Wars Battlefront and Battlefront 2 would have been nice in my books. Would sure be a better game then Star Wars Battlefield.

Also, Supreme Commander/Forged Alliance would be nice. Loved those games, best RTS game ever made and sad we never saw a sequel.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
If it's any consolation (and it is for me), they are releasing a remastered edition of Darksiders 2 PS4 this month or next, I forget now. Some people prefer the first for its' protagonist and story, which I agree is marginally better, though the sequel has the gameplay, size and booming voice actors. But it has all its' DLC and the usual shabbang that comes with these remasters. The art style was brilliant anyway, i would love to see it in HDef, high FPS glory. Need some more time. Free time.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Zontar said:
Star Wars Battlefront and Battlefront 2 would have been nice in my books. Would sure be a better game then Star Wars Battlefield.

Also, Supreme Commander/Forged Alliance would be nice. Loved those games, best RTS game ever made and sad we never saw a sequel.
We had Supreme Commander 2 which kinda reduced the scale and cut down the number of units, still continued the story at least.

As for the list, too many new games on it. Give me Morrowind with updated graphics and a better combat system and watch that game sell out in every store.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Xan Krieger said:
Zontar said:
We had Supreme Commander 2 which kinda reduced the scale and cut down the number of units, still continued the story at least.
Supreme Commander 2 was, from a gameplay perspective, a completely different franchise from the games it was a squeal to, and the story itself was both nonsensical and not at all related to the one of previous games (hell, no mention was made of QAI, the villain which was explicitly stated to be either the main antagonist or one of the antagonists for Supreme Commander 2 at the end of Forged Alliance). If you changed the names of units and factions as well as remove the faction logos no one would think it was a Supreme Commander game, which is probably why it failed and why the IP is now dead, since the old audience didn't want it and the new audience thought it was going to be what they already had no interest in.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
What's with all the recent games?
They don't need to be remastered!

What we need to get remastered is something like Neverwinter Nights, the original Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Tachyon: The Fringe, The Command And Conquer series, the original Fallout games, Painkiller and Knight Of The Old Republic for instance.

Great games like that. Not the recent stuff we can actually still play if we had hung on to a 360 or PS3.

Heck, Gunmetal could actually be a good remaster. It had some interesting ideas.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
The only game on this list I agree with is X-Wing / TIE Fighter.

JenSeven said:

What we need to get remastered is something like Neverwinter Nights, the original Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Tachyon: The Fringe, The Command And Conquer series, the original Fallout games, Painkiller and Knight Of The Old Republic for instance.

Great games like that. Not the recent stuff we can actually still play if we had hung on to a 360 or PS3.

Heck, Gunmetal could actually be a good remaster. It had some interesting ideas.
+1, +2, +3 -- heck, + everything.

There are so many great games that now won't even run on Windows any more or that are unplayable by modern standards. Just look at the old FPS games without mouse look -- anyone up for a Dark Forces / Jedi Knight 1 remake?

Command & Conquer with the original FMV and gameplay but in a modern engine -- or, even better IMO, Red Alert. C&C Renegade done today could be great, especially if they go back to the drawing board and implement all the features they ended up cutting because it wasn't possible at the time, such as real massive armies with a commander view.

Or "forgotten" games like the Discworld adventures, imagine giving those the Kings Quest treatment.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
erbkaiser said:
The only game on this list I agree with is X-Wing / TIE Fighter.

JenSeven said:

+1, +2, +3 -- heck, + everything.

There are so many great games that now won't even run on Windows any more or that are unplayable by modern standards. Just look at the old FPS games without mouse look -- anyone up for a Dark Forces / Jedi Knight 1 remake?

Command & Conquer with the original FMV and gameplay but in a modern engine -- or, even better IMO, Red Alert. C&C Renegade done today could be great, especially if they go back to the drawing board and implement all the features they ended up cutting because it wasn't possible at the time, such as real massive armies with a commander view.

Or "forgotten" games like the Discworld adventures, imagine giving those the Kings Quest treatment.
Oh god I would love a verison of the original C&C where I could queue up more than one unit at a fucking time.

Let me add to the list that VTM should be updated, keep the same mechanics, but stabilize and improve the look and a remaster along the lines of the Baldur's Gate EE for Arcanum if only because I don't know how much work it would take to remake it to look long the lines of new CRPGs like Wasteland 2 or Pillars.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
ffronw said:

There have been plenty of remastered games released of late, but these eight deserve a new lease on life as well.

Read Full Article
Just a note, Nordic Games is considering a remaster of Darksiders after they release the Darksiders II remaster. Personally I want to see DS3 news myself, and I hope that they release the remasters on PC as well so they can clean up the issues that DS2 had and give us updated textures for both games. They run fairly well and look great on PC already but I won't complain about updated assets and bugfixes for both.
And since you reminded me that they exist, I'm going to replay them both now.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I cant say I agree with Skyrim as a choice to remaster. Rather than focus on the past It would be better if Bethesda just focused on the next game in the series and never again go into the mmo market. If people want to play a remastered Skyrim the modding community will likely make a Skyrim remake on the new game engine much like Morrowind had on the Skyrim engine.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Zontar said:
Xan Krieger said:
Zontar said:
Supreme Commander 2 was, from a gameplay perspective, a completely different franchise from the games it was a squeal to, and the story itself was both nonsensical and not at all related to the one of previous games (hell, no mention was made of QAI, the villain which was explicitly stated to be either the main antagonist or one of the antagonists for Supreme Commander 2 at the end of Forged Alliance). If you changed the names of units and factions as well as remove the faction logos no one would think it was a Supreme Commander game, which is probably why it failed and why the IP is now dead, since the old audience didn't want it and the new audience thought it was going to be what they already had no interest in.
I think that's why I bought Planetary Annihilation, it was the closest I could find to a new Supreme Commander. It's close, large scale, same resource idea, but not quite as good.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I have longed for an X-Wing remake ever since DOS died out and I couldn't play it anymore. Yes, I know there are emulators out there now, but I would love to be able to play that game on a console. I will continue to hope that this will happen one day. After all, I'm getting my Final Fantasy VII remake, so anything is possible...

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Xan Krieger said:
I think that's why I bought Planetary Annihilation, it was the closest I could find to a new Supreme Commander. It's close, large scale, same resource idea, but not quite as good.
That's much more charitable then I'd be willing to go, it isn't nearly as good, if one could say it is good at all. But that's to be expected from a game which was made on a fraction of the budget by people who don't have any money management skills or an understanding of basic economics.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
For Bulletstorm and Darksiders, I think they need to at least finish the game's stories before we start looking at remastering anything. Both games clearly ended on a "to be continued" note.

Lost In The Void said:
Oh god I would love a verison of the original C&C where I could queue up more than one unit at a fucking time.
I'd love to see remakes with improved graphics and UIs for tons of the old school RTS games that came out in the late 90's and early 2000s. Dark Reign, Command and Conquer, Krush Kill and Destroy, Universe at War: Earth Assault, the Myth games, Battle Realms, Ground Control. I always loved those games, but some of them are tough to play now because their UIs are so outdated.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Haha, most of them are not even a decade old, what is this Hollywood?

With the Star Wars licence in EA's hand I don't think we are going to see any Jedi Knight games soon. Or Republic Commando.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Why so many 7th gen games? They only need a port, not a remastering.

A game that really needs a remaster is Demolition Racer. The PC port it got ran a diffirent engine and was vastly inferior to the PS1 and perhaps the DC version.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
All those great games that won't even run properly on modern systems and these are the ones that should be remastered? Wow.