8 Games that Would be Awesome in a Different Genre

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Games that Would be Awesome in a Different Genre

These eight games have been successful in their genre, but what if they tried a different one?

Read Full Article

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Wasn't there supposed to be an isometric RPG for Borderlands at one point? Whatever happened with that, anyway?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
y'know, this list has one, giant, glaring problem: that it's choices are way too obvious. Bringing up the Zelda shift in particular, it's incredibly uninspired. It's why when Zelda made a spinoff it made Hyrule Warriors instead. I remember when that was first revealed (and even to this day) people whined that they wished it was Fire Emblem instead. Which is precisely why they didn't do it and instead chose to do a fusion between Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei to create Genei Ibunroku. Those choices were creatively lazy and didn't constitute a big enough shift to really be anything meaningful. A game series shifting genres should be a BIG change, juxtaposing the inherent differences in genre while still marrying them and using their differences to create something special. What a creator NEEDS to do is make something people don't know that they wanted in the first place.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
A Resident Evil RTS / squad-based tactical game. The player controls a team of BSAA agents to contain a bioweapon attack.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Mass Effect series
New Genre: Space Sim

The space sim genre has dwindled a bit of late, but if there's a series that could bring it back to prominence, it's Mass Effect. Think of it as Freelancer meets Mass Effect. You aren't Shepard, but you're living in his world, and maybe encountering him at some point. You'd acquire a ship, outfit it, crew it, and then carry out missions across the galaxy. You could work as a trader, a mercenary, or any number of professions while visiting the planets and systems of the [em]Mass Effect universe. It's almost a no-brainer.
The waves of pleasure hitting my brain from this idea feel better than any drug could ever hope to feel.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I've always fantasized about a game that incorporates as many genres as possible.
4X (overhead), Spaceship sim (economy, exploration,etc), RTS (in space, on planet), FPS.
You could probably cram in some more genres as well.
It would be a right pain to make everything fit together though and might not end up economically viable in the end.
Still, what a game it would be. What an experience it could offer.

Here's to the future, hoping.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh my God! You left out Bioshock as a City Builder?! What's wrong with you?!
And FNaF as a Restaurant Manager?!

Freaking Dragon Age as a FPS RPG hack/slasher?

Pokemon as a survival/horror game.

Come on ffronw, get your head in the game!

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
There are two games wrong on this list:

Legend of Zelda as a JRPG and X-COM as a FPS. The first is just awful because modern JRPGs get worse the more complicated the tech is, unless they made it a Nintendo JRPG in the vein of the Mario RPGs. Other wise it would be a tragedy for the Legend of Zelda franchise. The latter they already tried, made it third person with a tactical pause, and the response was basically lukewarm at best. You cannot take the strategy and management style of X-COM[footnote]I should know having played the original[/footnote] and make it into a FPS, it'd strip away what makes X-COM, well, X-COM. About the best they could ever do with X-COM moving it into a shooter genre is to make a bland, kinda-sorta tie in to the franchise, that no one will really like much.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Silentpony said:
Pokemon as a survival/horror game.
Good grief! I can imagine wandering the pitch-black wilderness with one spare pokeball, a machette and a flashlight. Twigs crack, crickets chirp and surely was that a rustle of leaves behind you?? Oh shit, a Bulbasaur growling "buuullllbaaaaa" as it wraps its' tentacles around your legs and begins devouring your face with its' back bulb/plant whatever that is(we can change the anatomy for horror's sake).
I... like it!

Ot: Okieee, Im a zelda fanboy and a JRPG contempter(contemptee?)..please understand what great pain you have caused me. Or I have caused myself. Zelda in skimpy clothing spouting nonsense to avoid talking about fancying the hot guy? Oh dear. Well team ninja got given the reigns for one title and she got out of that relatively unscathed, so perhaps an JRPG should be ok, right?

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
>Legend of Zelda as a JRPG
How would mixing something vile with something atrocious result in a good game?
>Assassin's Creed as a first-person stealth game
Excuse me, do you have a moment to talk about about our lord and savior Dishonored?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Xcom as an fps, no no no nono no no. They tried that, it wasn't good, they should make it a sims type life sim game, that would be awesome and really hard to do.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
The waves of pleasure hitting my brain from this idea feel better than any drug could ever hope to feel.
One of things you can (supposedly) do in Mass Effect 4 is send crewmen off to do random crap. Kinda of a lite version of what was suggested.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Aiddon said:
y'know, this list has one, giant, glaring problem: that it's choices are way too obvious. Bringing up the Zelda shift in particular, it's incredibly uninspired. It's why when Zelda made a spinoff it made Hyrule Warriors instead. I remember when that was first revealed (and even to this day) people whined that they wished it was Fire Emblem instead. Which is precisely why they didn't do it and instead chose to do a fusion between Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei to create Genei Ibunroku. Those choices were creatively lazy and didn't constitute a big enough shift to really be anything meaningful. A game series shifting genres should be a BIG change, juxtaposing the inherent differences in genre while still marrying them and using their differences to create something special. What a creator NEEDS to do is make something people don't know that they wanted in the first place.
I always hoped that they'd let the Zelda formula find its way into other themes. Like a sci-fi LoZ game. I mean Link is supposed to be the hero of legend, whose legacy spans history, right? So why not show what happens when Space Lord Ganon shows up with his armada of battle cruisers and army of space marines and challenges the Hero to battle over the tri-force. Use the (Tri)Force, Link! Blow up the Death Bubble! It's NO MOON!

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I think Legend of Zelda could work as a 4X Strategy game, pitting the various kingdoms against each other (or allying together), some of the win conditions could be summoning a unique Hero of Time unit and using it to defeat the Ganon boss wandering/lurking around, or building/holding a certain number of Fairy Fountains or "recovering" the Seven Sages, or entering the Lost Realm and finding the Triforce (space race!)

Hell, LoZ could even make an interesting Pokemon-like monster battler. (why not? it worked for Dragon Quest)

Jan 12, 2012
I don't need Assassin's Creed to be first person, I'd be happy with them actually making a game about assassinating people instead of some weird Assassin's Guild management sim. It's weird, but the first one still stands out as the game with the best actual assassinations, where you'd get a target, a bit of data, and could plan your strategy to take them out and escape. Everything since then has been a lot more tightly controlled.

Screw "Asscreed meets Thief," give me a bit of Hitman!

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
I don't think the Xcom one is a good idea in any way shape or form. I am not as violently opposed to the idea than when the Bureau was announced, since we allready have a proper xcom. But i just don't think it would work out.
As you allready said, they allready tried and failed to do this with the Bureau.
Additionally there's just not really anything in the Xcom Universe that would be particullary interesting in an FPS. The Alien Weaponry is just human weaponry with green stuff coming out. Upgrading to it makes fun in a strategy game, but it's not particullary exciting endgame weaponry in an FPS.
Additionally there's no real big overarching story here. The new Xcom introduced some characters and storytelling and so on, but it's nothing special or mindblowing. It's just kindof there.
I don't see why you think an FPS would be good in the xcom universe.