8 Games We Are Looking Forward To In 2017

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
8 Games We Are Looking Forward To In 2017

With 2017 fast approaching, it's time to look at what games to look forward to in the coming year.

Here's our list of games we're looking forward to.

Is there a game you're looking forward to that isn't listed? Be sure to let us know in the comments.

Read Full Article

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Of course, no Persona 5. One could argue that it already came out in Japan this year, but for the rest of us, we have to wait until later this spring to get it.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
My prediction is that Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead 2, Prey, and Mass Effect are going to be the big disappointments of next year.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
1: Yes
2: Yes
3: Yes
4: Kind of yes
5: No
6: No
7: Yes
8: No

Well, 5/8 isn't bad, if we measure things by my objectively perfect taste. ^_^

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Weaver said:
My prediction is that Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead 2, Prey, and Mass Effect are going to be the big disappointments of next year.
I agree on all except Prey.

Given that it's being developed by Arkane Studios of Dishnooured fame and as a publisher Bethesda's last two FPS titles were Doom and Wolfenstein: The New Order, I'm quietly confident about that one.

However, I expect it to get delayed either to the very tail end of next year or to 2018. It's not even a year since it was announced and it's being made with CryEngine as opposed to Id Tech 5 like Dishonored 2. Such a rapid turnaround from announcement seems unusually fast for Bethesda.

I'm also looking forwards to Dawn of War III, Titans Titans and more Titans...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Weaver said:
I agree on all except Prey.

Given that it's being developed by Arkane Studios of Dishnooured fame and as a publisher Bethesda's last two FPS titles were Doom and Wolfenstein: The New Order, I'm quietly confident about that one.

However, I expect it to get delayed either to the very tail end of next year or to 2018. It's not even a year since it was announced and it's being made with CryEngine as opposed to Id Tech 5 like Dishonored 2. Such a rapid turnaround from announcement seems unusually fast for Bethesda.

I'm also looking forwards to Dawn of War III, Titans Titans and more Titans...
My only concern with Prey is it seems like it's had a pretty turbulent development, which just seems to lead to problems. I'd love to be wrong though! I feel like I'm one of the few who really liked the first Prey. This one seems very, very different but eh whatever.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
At the moment, the only game I'm actively looking forward to is Yooka Laylee. The new Zelda, and that Horizon thingy are in the "Cautiously optimistic, but tread carefully" bucket, while Mass Effect is in the "You need to re-earn my trust for this one, bucko" pile.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Weaver said:
My only concern with Prey is it seems like it's had a pretty turbulent development, which just seems to lead to problems. I'd love to be wrong though! I feel like I'm one of the few who really liked the first Prey. This one seems very, very different but eh whatever.
I loved the first few hours of Prey with the gravity and size bending weirdness, not to mention the blood and guts interior of The Sphere. But the last parts of it were a bit of a slog, especially the bits with the little jet pod space ship, I remember those going on and on.

I think this game is a start from zero, unless Arkane pull an epic twist and the player character is the first pilot of The Sphere. It's a shame the original Prey 2 got canned, but if it didn't work it didn't work, Bethesda had no qualms about dumping the original Doom 4 as well, which turned out for the best.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I refuse to acknowledge this new "Prey". All it does it taking a name from a game who's sequel was canned due to Bethesda being dicks.

Horizon Zero Dawn on the other hand, I'm really loking forward to it.

fix-the-spade said:
I think this game is a start from zero, unless Arkane pull an epic twist and the player character is the first pilot of The Sphere. It's a shame the original Prey 2 got canned, but if it didn't work it didn't work, Bethesda had no qualms about dumping the original Doom 4 as well, which turned out for the best.
Bethesda stopped funding prey 2 because Human Head Studios didn't wnat to be bought out. As answer Beth financially ruined them. The kicker? The game was close to gold status.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Well, I'm interested in most of those games shown except for Mass Effect Andromeda since I'm not really a fan of the Mass Effect series.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
While I am interested in ME Andromeda, I'm not holding my breath on it being particularly good. Based off the footage we have seen, it just appears to be No Man's Sky, but with a better budget.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Weaver said:
I think your most likely spot on for red dead 2 and Horizon Zero Dawn, red dead because were the fuck do you go on from the original and Horizon Zero Dawn because it looks like just another sony tech demo game. now prey could go any which way and lets face it Mass effect will be more of the same and quite few people will have no problem with that myself included.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
i have lower than zero interest in prey but thats more to do with the original being the only game to ever make me violently ill.

out of that list only andromeda caught my eye

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Lots of really cool stuff here, but I can't say I'm excited for RDR2. I didn't play the first RDR and there is just something about the way Rockstar games play that rubs me the wrong way. So I my personal list would sub in Ace Combat 7, which looks amazing and would be a return to form after the wayyyy too arcade-y Assault Horizon.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Let me guess: No Ace Combat 7 on this list because we don't have an official release date or even timeframe yet?

Because quite plainly, that's the only game I've got any degree of hype for right now. Mainly because we're going back to the places of Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War and AC04: Shattered Skies. That's right, back to Strangereal, and it's Osea vs. Erusea. Yeah.

Pilots, we're coming home.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Quite a few of these games were on people's "Games we're looking forward to in 2016" lists. Wonder how many of the same will be on "Games we're looking forward to in 2018" lists. XD

Seriously, though, 2016 was a pretty good year (for video games, anyway. Crap year for pretty much anything else), and comparatively 2017 has few games I'm all that excited for. All I can think of off the top of my head is Persona 5, though if they arbitrarily tack on another delay for the localization I'm liable to explode.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
American Tanker said:
That's right, back to Strangereal, and it's Osea vs. Erusea. Yeah.
Is it just me, or is Strangereal an extremely violent planet to live on? Because not only does it seem that a new war breaks out with each installment, it's a war to the extent of involving mass aircraft combat. 0_0

balladbird said:
Seriously, though, 2016 was a pretty good year (for video games, anyway. Crap year for pretty much anything else),
Think it's been a pretty good year for movies.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Hawki said:
American Tanker said:
That's right, back to Strangereal, and it's Osea vs. Erusea. Yeah.
Is it just me, or is Strangereal an extremely violent planet to live on? Because not only does it seem that a new war breaks out with each installment, it's a war to the extent of involving mass aircraft combat. 0_0
Yeah, it's a pretty crazy place, but apparently the planet's poor in radioactives, which leads to there being very few nuclear weapons, which prevented the civilizations of Strangereal from achieving the idea of mutual assured destruction, which allows for these large-scale conflicts to rage on without the fear of everything going up in a nuclear fireball.

As such, you see massive war on a scale that would be impossible on our world, because our nations had the resources to achieve MAD. That's why you see so many other kinds of superweapons in the franchise, like meteor-intercepting railguns like Stonehenge and Chandelier.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I'm looking forward to Zelda Breath of the Wild, Horizon, Andromeda, and Red Dead 2.

Resident Evil 7 I'm leery about. I'm hoping it's got more subtle horror than "RAAAGH!!! I'M A MONSTER! FEAR ME!!!" every 5 minutes, more akin to Silent Hill 2 in terms of horror rather than like any of Resident Evil's games, and sticks with the Resident Evil 4 style controls and combat, not too liberal with the weapons and ammo but enough to still able to kill everything if every last bullet is conserved. There's nothing I hate more than having to run from enemies all the time to be able to have enough ammo to fight the ones I can't avoid.

MeisterKleister

Mar 9, 2012
Nice.
Among the ones from your list, Resident Evil 7, Prey, South Park, and Mass Effect are also on mine.
Here are the ones I'm looking forward to which you didn't include:

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
I guess technically speaking, this one doesn't have a release date yet.

Nier: Automata
hack-?n?-slash game developed by PlatinumGames (they also made Bayonetta, Vanquish, and MGR: Revengeance)

Scalebound
also developed by PlatinumGames; their track record on these kind of games is pretty decent, in my opinion.

Yooka-Laylee
spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie

Tekken 7
Tekken is among the first games I've ever played, so this one's mostly for nostalgia.

Last week I actually compiled a list of PC games I was looking forward to (which is why I had these images handy). Yep, all the games I mentioned are scheduled to be released on PC as well as other platforms.