8 Games with Amazing Voice Acting

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Games with Amazing Voice Acting

These eight games contain some of the best voice acting you'll ever hear.

Read Full Article

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
I'm sorry, but Mass Effect over stuff like TF2 or Uncharted? No thanks. There are only a couple of characters whose performances I really enjoyed in that one.

The rest (from what I've played which is everything but the Borderlands games) are good choices overall though.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Legacy of Kain, I love that game series. The voice acting and writing are a perfect match.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
CORRECTION: Moebius is not the only character to appear in every game in the series (he's not in Blood Omen 2), Kain is.
Also worth noting that Tony Jay also voiced Mortanius the Necromancer in the original game. But overall, Legacy of Kain being on the banner for that gallery pleases me to no end - and what a coincidence, I'm right in the middle of a LoK marathon.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Gotta give a shout out to Persona 3 & 4 for the rare mix of being a JRPG and having genuinely good voice acting.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
This is kind of a hard thing to judge but the selections feels more like '6 big budget games that properly cast professional actors for voice acting'. Only Portal and Legacy of Kain (I'm familiar with the game but not the voices) feel like they're noteworthy to me.

If I could add one of my own picks it would be The Longest Journey/Dreamfall/Dreamfall: Chapters series.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
RandV80 said:
This is kind of a hard thing to judge but the selections feels more like '6 big budget games that properly cast professional actors for voice acting'. Only Portal and Legacy of Kain (I'm familiar with the game but not the voices) feel like they're noteworthy to me.

If I could add one of my own picks it would be The Longest Journey/Dreamfall/Dreamfall: Chapters series.
Well... yeah. That's what professional voice actors are for, to give good performances. Even Portal 2 boarded the voice actor ship and added a bunch of well-known names (not that I'm complaining). Also Legacy of Kain has Tony Jay and Michael Bell sooo they properly cast professional voice actors in those, too.

OT: My pick would be Okami-- *shot*

Hey heyyyyy Dameon Clarke's notable performance made the list! That makes me happy~

I'd also like to make a special shout out to Cary Elwes and Tony Jay from "The Bard's Tale"

Wilco86

Oct 5, 2011
I was in another room when my roommate was playing Planescape: Torment and the moment he faced The Transcendent One I was like "Is that Tony Jay I hear?" and also had to play the game. And it does have one of the best castings ever (including even Sheena Easton ♥).

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
To me, Legacy of Kain is the stand-out on this list. The rest of the list is relatively recent games, when the industry was making an effort to fix the stigma of bad voice acting in cut scenes. The Kain series, on the other hand, has great voice acting by even today's standards, but back when video games were infamous for terrible voice acting; even the original on the PS-X, when voice acting was fairly new to gaming (though the less said about the graphics in its cut scenes, the better).

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Not even a mention of the Tales series of RPG games? With a couple obviously half assed exceptions, pretty much the entire series is brilliant in just about every way including the voice acting. This is why I have such a big issue with the fact that the Tales of Hearts english localization didn't get dubbed, besides the obvious.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
At this point the continued omission of Afro Samurai can only be called racist!

Kidding of course. But seriously, am I the only living person who enjoys Samuel L Jackson's Ninja Ninja?

Or maybe ya'll just didnt play it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4g1vXTTt7M

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Good to see LoK/ Soul Reaver getting some recognition rather than being a forgotten series it should be the measure that modern game makers aspire to.

While very minimal Homeworld is up there on my own list.

zotquix

Feb 17, 2015
New to these forums but had to reg just to ask if anyone else has played Arx Fatalis? The VAing in that is amazing IMO.