8 Games Worthy of a Perfect Review Score

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Games Worthy of a Perfect Review Score

Perfect games are rare, but our community thinks these eight deserve a perfect score.

Read Full Article

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Super Metroid? I assume that's a joke, that game only pissed me off and made me ragequit many times. Replace it with Portal. As for the rest I haven't played most of them, Deus Ex Human Revolution though absolutely deserves to be on there, fantastic game and I'm glad it was included.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
Super Metroid? I assume that's a joke, that game only pissed me off and made me ragequit many times. Replace it with Portal. As for the rest I haven't played most of them, Deus Ex Human Revolution though absolutely deserves to be on there, fantastic game and I'm glad it was included.
Only joke here must be you if you couldn't handle Super Metroid ;)

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Razhem said:
Xan Krieger said:
Only joke here must be you if you couldn't handle Super Metroid ;)
I was young, dumb, and full of rage(this is pre-medication Xan). Now I'm old, dumb, and on a low boil. I'm one of those people you film playing games for when I inevitably have an autistic meltdown.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Silentpony said:
I maintain there is no such thing as an absolutely 100% perfect, flawless game.
Of course, but if 10/10 meant completely perfect it'd be unattainable, and there's no point having a point on a score scale thats impossible to achieve.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Didn't expect you to put Super Metroid! Those classic metroidvania's were never the system sellers, but the big ones always had the best atmosphere, great music, fluent game play and awesome boss fights. Ok, it's a truce.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
If a review for a game includes an apologetic for miserable boss encounters, then you've created your own counter argument for a 10 rating.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
DracoSuave said:
If a review for a game includes an apologetic for miserable boss encounters, then you've created your own counter argument for a 10 rating.
That's why it was specified that the Director's Cut version gets a 10.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
My personal list of 'tenouttaten' games!

Mass Effect 2
Banjo-Tooie
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Zelda: Majora's Mask
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Resident Evil 4
The Curse of Monkey Island

There's probably a few others but I can't think of them right now.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
I never got the love for Okami. Slow, dull, poor handling & camera and waaay too long. Also personally prefered Majora's Mask to Ocarina of Time but I just like a darker tone.

pearcinator said:
Resident Evil 4
This should replace Okami in the list.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Inb4 posters saying no game can be perf...oh. Too late.
To be honest, that just sounds like a challenge now. Surely...what would be a perfect game? Do not, by any means, stop trying to make the perfect game, hell no. We all need that carrot on the end of a stick to push us further.

No Portal? The one game that made the ever displeased Yahtzee, pleased? That is an achievement worthy of Zeus's lightning bolt, surely?

I would like to add Mario Galaxy. Even the second. The games are pure joy from start to finish and polished to the nth degree!

happy_turtle said:
pearcinator said:
Resident Evil 4
This should replace Okami in the list.
*Cocks shotgun*
You best be steppin' away from that theres Okami, boy, if yous be knowin' what's goods for ya! ;)

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
1. Batman Arkham Asylum is a good game, but perfect score? It has nothing special to offer, it's just solid in almost every aspect.
2. DX:HR DC - Seriously? It's a buggy mess of a game, which neglects fixes already applied to original games, does almost nothing to fix problems with bosses, breaks visual style and make some textures fall off proportions; also immersion-breaking integration of Missing Link.
8. PoP: sands of Time had rather stupid storyline, often awkward controls, and just enough boring level components to definitely remove at least a point from overall score.

I have strong suspicions other games will have more or less same situations.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ah, I remember the days when, if a game got a perfect score, it was EVERYWHERE. Because perfect scores were rarer than anything else on the planet. I especially miss the days when X-Play giving a game a perfect score was unheard of, and when they did, man oh man did they do their research.

The Last of Us, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, Portal, Half-Life 2, Resident Evil 4, Ocarina of Time, and Ace Combat 5: Unsung War are all games that I think deserve perfect scores.

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
The only game I totally agreed with on that list was Okami. I'd change Ocarina of Time for Wind Waker, Super Metroid for Metroid Prime 2, throw in Final Fantasy 9, Chrono Trigger, Ratchdet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal, Super Mario World, and Portal.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
My 10/10s:

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Halo 3
Portal
Ninja Gaiden Black
Sonic The Hedgehog (1991)
Streets of Rage 2
Dead or Alive 3
Left 4 Dead 2
Monkey Island 2
Quake 1

9/10s:

Halo Reach
The Walking Dead Season 1
Half Life 2 episodes 1 and 2
Gears of War 2
Bioshock
Heroes of Might and Magic 2

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
This is basically a list of games that either defined, redefined, or perfected their particular genre. It's an excellent compilation.

The games on this list have been subjected to "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" time and time again, because they showed exactly how games of their respective genres should be played.

Certain games being mentioned in the comments here, I agree with some of them others not so much.

Seeing some calls for Portal to be on the list, I'm inclined to agree with that one. Showed how to fit humour, story, and character into a tight well-designed puzzle game. It's short and sweet, and the last half-hour of the game is one of the best gaming experiences I've had. After being stuck in the small puzzle chambers for much of the game, occasionally breaking out into a "behind the scenes" look at the Aperture facility, I felt so empowered as a player after completing the last chamber. There were no additions to gameplay, just a shift in level design and context. I felt like I had dodged the deathtrap and escaped into the bowels of the facility, beyond GLADoS' reach. After spending 2 hours totally at her mercy I felt like the balance of power had shifted between us. That room where the walls are lined with turrets was a great way of using the Portal Gun offensively, and I felt like it was another major step in shifting the balance of power. Well done Portal for crafting in 2 hours the setup to that glorious payoff, done entirely in level design and voice acting.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say Bioshock deserves a perfect 10. The gameplay isn't exactly revolutionary, nor is it perfection of the genre. But the story is excellent and engaging, and it's one of those games with a genuinely valid message about the way video games work. That message, backed up by serviceable and fun gameplay, makes for what I'd call a 9/10 game. The problem with Bioshock is it goes on a little too long. After I offed Andrew Ryan I felt like there was a massive drop off in my enjoyment of the game. The story seemed to have run out of some of its steam, and the lesser parts of the game started to show themselves a little more. I also felt like the game started throwing splicers at me in bigger and bigger droves, which reduced my ability to admire the surrounding environment.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Rastrelly said:
1. Batman Arkham Asylum is a good game, but perfect score? It has nothing special to offer, it's just solid in almost every aspect.
Agreed though I'd argue solid in every aspect except combat. Same goes for Arkham City in that regard. I don't care how many moves or combos you put in if the combat system is still so mind numbingly easy that it borders on button mashing. The game is actually a lot more interesting if you avoid brawling with people all together whenever possible.

2. DX:HR DC - Seriously? It's a buggy mess of a game, which neglects fixes already applied to original games, does almost nothing to fix problems with bosses, breaks visual style and make some textures fall off proportions; also immersion-breaking integration of Missing Link.
I don't recall it being overly buggy myself, but your mileage may vary on console since I never played the console version. But the original boss fights were atrocious and the latter parts of the game suffered from massive cuts to make it's release. The entire last segment of the game is pretty much nothing like the rest of it frankly and felt hugely out of place. Plus the ending sucked and was also completely out of place with the rest of the game.

On the plus side, at least the director's cut fixed the boss fights.

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
bdcjacko said:
hmmmm, no Red Dead Redemption or Skyrim eh?
Well, no Skyrim because the game is deeply flawed with a subpar UI, the usual level of Bethesda bugs, and very flat, dull combat. And no, modding to fix those problems does NOT count. They are not part of the game that you purchase, they are not part of the game that gets reviewed.