8 Great Action Films from the 1980s

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Great Action Films from the 1980s

The 1980s were the decade that really invented the over-the-top action movie, and these eight films were some of the best the genre had to offer.

Read Full Article

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I agreed with the list althought I never watched Commando (have seen that aimbot clip) and never really watched First Blood all the way throught.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
ffronw said:
It took a guy known only for sitcoms and commercials (Bruce Willis), and turned him into the template for the next decade of everyman action stars.
Whoa, hold the phone! Bruce Willis was known for Moonlighting (which was more of a dramedy than a sitcom). He also starred opposite Kim Basinger in the moderately successful comedy Blind Date, directed by Blake Edwards, before Die Hard. Oh, and he had an... uh... impressive music career going too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SqFRYW0mrI

Truly, he was an '80s Renaissance Man, with Action Heroism merely one more feather in his rakishly angled cap.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
American Fox said:
List fail: drop Predator for Robocop.

Where is Big Trouble in Little China?
Did you see the bit where I said it was hard to pare down this list? Big Trouble in Little China and Escape from New York were part of what made it so damn difficult.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Two Christmas films in that list, not bad, very seasonal.

Mad Max 2 was made in 1981 you know. Don't tell me it isn't an action film, it is nothing but action. Plus you could have had two Vernon Wells films in your list with Commando.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
robocop is missing, mad max 2 and some more.
and i dont think we can really classify jones as an action movie. yes, it has some action but its till more an adventure movie.
otherwise good list. got each and everyone of them on dvd.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
So many great movies from that decade, I absolutely love the Lethal Weapon series. Yeah, Robocop and Mad Max, etc.

I wouldn't put Alien in there though, that's a strong atmospheric horror.

Edit: Oh, Aliens :p

Nvm

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Pretty good list, but Terminator being Arnie's best? I'd sooner give that title to T2 or True Lies