8 Great Games Every Star Wars Fan Should Have Played

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Great Games Every Star Wars Fan Should Have Played

For Star Wars Day, you should really make sure that you've already played all eight of these great Star Wars games.

Read Full Article

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
You were so close! SO FUCKING CLOSE TO A PERFECT LIST!

Drop Republic Commando or Tie Fighter and put in Shadows of the Empire. Seriously. I am disappoint.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Why does everybody leave out Dark Forces 2? In what universe is Outcast better than the original?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight is better than Jedi Knight 2. I tried to play Jedi Knight 2 and couldn't get 2 stages in because I was so disappointed in it.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Only played two of these (Battlefront 2 and KotOR, though I only got like maybe halfway though KotOR) and only heard of half of the rest.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Silentpony said:

Drop Republic Commando or Tie Fighter and put in Shadows of the Empire. Seriously. I am disappoint.

You want to ditch arguably the best star wars FPS of our time, or the un-arguably greatest Star Wars game of all time for... Shadows of the Empire?

Game was utter rubbish. Horrible camera and useless Han Solo-lite main character to boot. Literally the only good aspect of that game were the flying levels (all two of them) and then the first Rogue Squadron came along and made the whole game utterly obsolete in every way.

SOTE on a top 8 SW games list? It's barely any better than Rebel Assault, and we all know where that game belongs...

Also isn't it funny the way nobody called the original Battlefront games a 'mess' until the new Battlefront came out and the apologists scurried for something.. -anything- to put the originals down with?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Squilookle said:
Wait, then which one was Republic Commando? I thought it was that terribly buggy, horribly controlled one where you're a spec op clone pretending to have a personality, while your other spec op cloned fucked up their path finding and then just froze in place for the rest of the mission, requiring you to restart when you find the one door that only Clone_OOA/221 subtype: Snark can open.

And Tie Fighter? Really? Jeez, why don't you just tell me Rebel Assault totally holds up?! Tie Fighter...I mean come on! At least try to take this seriously!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Great list. The Dark Forces series desperately needs an HD re-release. Dark Forces 1 especially could use a full remake, it's engine is really out of date.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Silentpony said:
Squilookle said:
Wait, then which one was Republic Commando? I thought it was that terribly buggy, horribly controlled one where you're a spec op clone pretending to have a personality, while your other spec op cloned fucked up their path finding and then just froze in place for the rest of the mission, requiring you to restart when you find the one door that only Clone_OOA/221 subtype: Snark can open.

And Tie Fighter? Really? Jeez, why don't you just tell me Rebel Assault totally holds up?! Tie Fighter...I mean come on! At least try to take this seriously!
Cluching at straws there, my friend. But deep down you know there's not a single thing in SOTE that wasn't done a million times better everywhere else. Actually there is one thing Shadows excelled at. It managed to find the absolute most boring part of the trilogy soundtrack and loop it ad nauseam for its menus. That's quite an achievement.

Also have you even played TIE? Even today it plays so well it remains the high point of Star Wars dogfighting, and there have been a lot of games since then that feature X-Wings and TIEs going at it if ya know what I mean. Alliance is pretty damn good too, fyi.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Solid list.

Though I still have a soft spot for 'Pod Racing' and 'Empire At War'.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Good listing, well-written... *looks up the author* Oh, Ron Whitaker. Man, it feels good to have you back on these.
Silentpony said:

Either of those games is superior to Shadows of the Empire.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Squilookle said:
Silentpony said:

You want to ditch arguably the best star wars FPS of our time, or the un-arguably greatest Star Wars game of all time for... Shadows of the Empire?

Game was utter rubbish. Horrible camera and useless Han Solo-lite main character to boot. Literally the only good aspect of that game were the flying levels (all two of them) and then the first Rogue Squadron came along and made the whole game utterly obsolete in every way.
Actually I don't mind SotE showing up on a top 8 list. We can drop any of the Rogue Squadron games and put SotE on that list in its place. For starfighter combat games why even have railshooters like the RS games when there exists the clearly superior TIE Fighter or X-Wing games. Actually just populate the list with all the X-Wing games (X-Wing,Tie Figher, VS, and Alliance) instead, they are the best of the lot.

But we can get rid of others on this published top 8 for others as well. The sidescroller shooter, that can go. Dark Forces covers the need for Jedi Knight 2 being on the list. Adding lightsaber stuff killed Dark Forces, so anything after that first one including all the Jedi Knight titles are inferior.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Kyrian007 said:
Actually I don't mind SotE showing up on a top 8 list. We can drop any of the Rogue Squadron games and put SotE on that list in its place. For starfighter combat games why even have railshooters like the RS games when there exists the clearly superior TIE Fighter or X-Wing games. Actually just populate the list with all the X-Wing games (X-Wing,Tie Figher, VS, and Alliance) instead, they are the best of the lot.
This obviously shows you've never played a Rogue Squadron game. While a couple of missions may have been railshooter-like, most put you into a combat zone and you were free to fly around it however you wanted too (short of flying away).

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
J.McMillen said:
Kyrian007 said:
This obviously shows you've never played a Rogue Squadron game. While a couple of missions may have been railshooter-like, most put you into a combat zone and you were free to fly around it however you wanted too (short of flying away).
I played them, they were limiting, crippled, railshooters compared to X-Wing or TIE Fighter. To be fair that wasn't their fault. Being mostly atmospheric missions, programming limitations makes arena limits necessary. That being said, invisible walls in what is supposed to be a starfighter game... makes the RS games just less enjoyable than the alternatives. They might as well be the podracer game.

And they aren't even the best SW railshooter. That would be the original Star Wars... The Video Game. The old one. In the sit-down cabinet. With surround sound. And the ironically tie fighter steering yolk controls. With the vector graphics. In a time where videogames were frogger sprites and midi-tone bleeps and bloops, Star Wars came along and put you in an xwing, fighting recognizable enemies in tie fighters, and letting you make the yavin trench run. And playing actual sound cuts from the movie. At the time, no other experience put you IN a movie like that game. Maybe that's why I'm so down on the Rogue Squadron games. X-Wing and TIE Fighter are improvements on that foundation. Rogue Squadron is just that with prettier graphics and a 3rd person view, neither are things that add to the formula enough to overcome the nostalgia that enhances my enjoyment of the original.