8 Great Mods that Became Retail Games

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013

Sometimes mods are so good, they end becoming retail titles on their own. These eight games are great examples of that.

Read Full Article

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
Icefrog didn't start Dota he took over years after it came out and I believe was famous for making the most balanced version (Could be wrong). Eul is the guy who gets the credit for the original warcraft mod.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Console gamers are not allowed these nice things. We They cannot be trusted. Was expecting Day z here, but there are probably so many more mods of greatness to behold.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Surprised that Gunman Chronicles didn't make it onto the list. It started as a Quack engine mod and then a Half Life mod after all.
To be fair though, the list does contain enough (gold-)source engine games already.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
That was interesting! I didn't realise that is where a lot of the titles that eventually spawned successful sequels came from... then again, I did wonder once what Team Fortress 1 was... now I know!

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
At some point, I had started to assume TF classic was a Half Life 1 mod. I completely forgot it was for Quake, and I used to play that game.

Asuterisuku

Jul 10, 2011
martyrdrebel27 said:
Why is Portal always left off these lists?
Because Portal was never a mod. It was based on a student project called "Narbacular Drop," a full game in its own right - if rough around the edges, as it was, in fact, a learner's game.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Asuterisuku said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Why is Portal always left off these lists?
Because Portal was never a mod. It was based on a student project called "Narbacular Drop," a full game in its own right - if rough around the edges, as it was, in fact, a learner's game.
i'm well aware of narbacular drop, but for some reason i always thought it was a mod before being picked up by Valve.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
ffronw said:

Sometimes mods are so good, they end becoming retail titles on their own. These eight games are great examples of that.

Read Full Article
While I was looking at the first screenshot, I was reminded of the videos I watched on the Killing FLoor weapon animator's YouTube channel. For a future installment, what about top modders in the community? I know this site's got at least one rather successful and talented individual in the form of [user]Lt. Rocky[/user].

Damn, actually, I think I'll go make that thread right now.