8 Great PC Shooters from the 90s

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Great PC Shooters from the 90s

The 1990s was a decade full of great PC shooters, and these eight were the cream of that awesome crop.

Read Full Article

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Meh...I mean its okay.

Still think any FPS list of 90s games that doesn't have Perfect Dark, Star Wars Dark Forces II, GoldenEye or Shadows of the Empire isn't a list that needs to be seen.

But whatever. It is what it is and those were no good console games, not PC master race games. But whatever.

Hexen was fun though...

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Look at my name then remember UT99 is still one of the best multiplayer FPSs, maybe the only one better is UT-2004. It's the series that started awesome and stayed it (UT3 is debatable).

kimiyoribaka

Jul 11, 2012
"At time it was released, id Software was a relatively unknown company"

Unknown to who? They made Commander Keen before that didn't they? And I would be very surprised if Catacomb 3-d wasn't circulating the shareware boards not too long after that.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
All these titles pretty much defined what I expect from any shooter at any given time.

EDIT: I'm seeing the glaring and fatal omission of Doom. No "best FPS ever" list is complete or even relevant without Doom.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
As mentioned, seriously, how could y'all leave "Doom" off this list? And "Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight"? Hell, I hated the addition of Force stuff to Dark Forces and I still consider it one of the best FPSes of all time.

Also, no 'System Shock' or 'System Shock 2'?

Buuuuutttt, mad props for remembering "Blood". That game was phenomenal, I still think it was easily the best of all the Build engine games.
themutantlizard said:
Blood should be remastered and put on steam am I right I'd play that.
I wish this site had a 'like' button. Hell's yes I'd play it! Tragically I read somewhere that people had been inquiring with Monolith already and they've said 'nope', which is weird considering the success of 'Shadow Warrior'.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
All of the games mentioned here were great. Unfortunately, I had to narrow the list to eight, and that made for some hard cuts. I left Doom off, and it hurt me. I really wanted Rise of the Triad on there too. But I had to have Blood, and I wanted Hexen for sure, because it tried so many new things. Plus Tribes. I have to have Tribes.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Lots of little people First Person Shooters and no big machine First Person Shooters? MechWarrior 2! :D

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
ffronw said:
All of the games mentioned here were great. Unfortunately, I had to narrow the list to eight, and that made for some hard cuts. I left Doom off, and it hurt me. I really wanted Rise of the Triad on there too. But I had to have Blood, and I wanted Hexen for sure, because it tried so many new things. Plus Tribes. I have to have Tribes.
You remembered 'Blood', all is forgiven.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
ffronw said:
Mad props for putting in Tribes, that game was awesome, and kept me home "sick" from school more than actually being sick. Also props for remembering Blood, Hexen, Quake, and Unreal Tournament. Everyone forgets those for other games.

Also ID was fairly well known already for Commander Keen, Catacombs 3D, and HoverTank 3D, both of the latter of which contributed to Wolfenstein 3D and provided it's engine. Wolfenstein 3D was just the first to actually put textures on the walls, rather than having them be a solid color.

Disappointed in there being no DooM, because Brutal Doom v20 recently came out.

Alcom1 said:
Lots of little people First Person Shooters and no big machine First Person Shooters? MechWarrior 2! :D
MechWarrior from the first game that even graces systems like the SNES, to MechWarrior 2 and it's expansions, also MechMarrior 3 and MechWarrior 3 Pirate's Moon, even up to Mechwarrior 4 and all of it's expansions, are considered "mech simulators". Just like Sierra's Earthsiege and Starsiege series, along with many many others.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Blood was so much fun. Playing multiplayer in my college's computer lab, running backwards around the bottom of the Gargoyle's arena, dropping lit dynamite at my feet and listening to my fellow players exclaim "-What-?!" moments before the explosions rang out... Good times!

One of the things I greatly admired about Blood- an aspect on which even many modern shooters fail- was that none of the weapons ever became useless. The flare gun was great when you could afford to duck back behind cover and wait for your enemies to burst into flames, the shotgun was good up close, the voodoo doll could give single targets absolute hell- even the pitchfork was ideal when an enemy was staggering, almost-dead, and you wanted to put them down without wasting ammunition or alerting nearby enemies. Arguably, the weapons may have been over-powered, but they were all over-powered, and with style.

And being given full health, full armor, guns akimbo, and then being turned loose in a train's bar car swarming with cultists... That was more cinematic that a month of cut-scenes, and far more satisfying, to boot.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
No list of top-whatever '90s shooters (aside from most purchased, I'm sure) is complete without Marathon. Link to freeware version of the whole damn trilogy, reworked to run on modern systems for pretty much any operating system: http://marathon.sourceforge.net/

Great story, groundbreaking mechanics for the time, definitely made Bungie's reputation leading up to their work on Halo. Long story short, it holds up. And I mean that a damn twenty-year-old FPS trilogy holds up, including every single installment without a 'the bad one,' which is saying something.