8 Great Winter Video Game Levels

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Great Winter Video Game Levels

Eight snowy video game levels to take your mind off the winter storm outside.

Read Full Article

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
1. Don't care.

2. Don't care.

3. Don't care.

4. Getting nervous it wasn't included.

5. Getting more nervous.

6. Seriously? Where is it?

7. I'm about to be super pissed they forgot it.

8. *whew* that was close.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Silk_Sk said:
1. Don't care.

2. Don't care.

3. Don't care.

4. Getting nervous it wasn't included.

5. Getting more nervous.

6. Seriously? Where is it?

7. I'm about to be super pissed they forgot it.

8. *whew* that was close.
We like to keep you in suspense.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
This list has an insufficient amount of penguin racing.

Can that be the topic of the next list?

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
ryukage_sama said:
This list has an insufficient amount of penguin racing.

Can that be the topic of the next list?
You know, I almost put Super Mario 64 in here just for the big penguin racing.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Freezeezy Peak from Banjo-Kazooie and the ice side of Hailfire Peaks from Banjo-Tooie are also very solid choices for great wintery levels.

Complete with awesome music by composer Grant Kirkhope:

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Z of the Na said:
Freezeezy Peak from Banjo-Kazooie and the ice side of Hailfire Peaks from Banjo-Tooie are also very solid choices for great wintery levels.
Both excellent choices as well. Sometimes I should use more than 8 slides.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
<spoiler= Since you can't mention the drifts without mentioning the music><youtube=ZbbUv1hz6mE>
<youtube=aGnFiGcsi0k>
Or the gigantic shadow of Ridley silently disappearing into the mists, or the depths of the frozen lake and submerged caverns, or for that matter, a bleeding great big Sheegoth sleeping in the corner. For a supposedly non-horror game, the underwater sections of Prime were awfully good at making you feel vulnerable.

Even considering the tech of the Gamecube, Phendrana Drifts was the most gorgeous part of that gorgeous game.

On a more serious note, no Crash Bandicoot 2 Polar Bear riding or Mario Kart 64 Sherbet Land? Blasphemy!

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
<spoiler= Since you can't mention the drifts without mentioning the music><youtube=ZbbUv1hz6mE>
<youtube=aGnFiGcsi0k>
I used to turn on the game, go to the drifts, put the controller down and just listen serenely. It drove my brother nuts when he wanted to play.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Blessings upon you, sir, for returning the sweetness of proper grammar to gallery content. I weep with joy, for we are delivered from insanity and endless comma splices.

Also, the skiing levels in Yoshi's Island remain a fond memory.

(Also, I guess this was written before it turned out Juno surprisingly underperformed.)

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
As silly as it is, I do still remember that Modern Warfare 2 mission and remember enjoying it. I'm a bit... bad at identifying a lot of these though, even though I reeeeeally should know them.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
StreamerDarkly said:
I really liked Avalanche in Halo 3, but this was by no means a popular sentiment.
That was actually my favorite Halo 3 map. And Sidewinder was my favorite from the first game.

I also loved the arctic camo they put on the human vehicles in that map. I thought it lent an air of credibility to the whole thing. Or at the least it was a nice touch. :)

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Good, Phendrana made the cut. That area did what Metroid does best, atmosphere (and, this time, without being ominous). One of the most beautiful landscapes of the 6th gen and peaceful, touching music (or sweet techno, for the later section) make it one of the best levels ever, not even counting winter themes.

The others are great choices, too. Snowboarding in Sonic 3 to introduce Ice Cap was awesome. (Fun fact: The board was supposed to be a door from Flying Battery, until they split Sonic 3 into S3 and Sonic & Knuckles and moved FBZ to second level status in S&K.) Climbing mountains with a partner in both Uncharted 2 and MW2 was epic. Though, I'd rather not fight the yeti guys again.

But Snowhead for the Zelda entry? I know Majora's Mask 3D is just weeks away, but there's a better snow level in Twilight Princess, the Snowpeak Ruins. The area leading up to Snowhead sure is winter themed and has some great moments, but most of the temple itself is pretty lackluster when it comes to winter and ice themed puzzles. Snowpeak is a big rundown mansion on a mountainside full of wolfos, ice creatures and a friendly yeti couple. It really looks like a partially collapsed building, with snow and ice filling in the rooms with the greatest decay. (Everyone should still play MM3D, though. Snowhead can still be fun, especially the boss.)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Oh Wow! You included The Battle Of Hoth. Even though you don't really do anything with the ice/winter in that stage, it was really great for opening bit, same with the level after it. I remember it blew me away when I was a kid.

Shadows Of The Empire is an underrated classic. I plan to play it again one day soon because I couldn't beat it back then.