8 Holes That Will Shock You

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Holes That Will Shock You

Beware, these holes will shock you. No, literally. You stand a serious chance of electrocution and serious bodily harm if you aren't careful with these little windows to suffering.

Read Full Article

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh wow. I can honestly say that this was certainly not what i thought it would be, before i clicked on the link.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
The UK feels under-represented by this article...

Then again, we're over-represented in the real world, and we punch far above our weight politically so... Carry on.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The_Darkness said:
The UK feels under-represented by this article...

Then again, we're over-represented in the real world, and we punch far above our weight politically so... Carry on.
No article on socket plugs is complete without the mighty BS 1363 three pin plug. Preventer of fires, pre-emptive earther of circuits, destroyer of feet!

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I fear I have an alternating outlook on this list.
1. Lame bait-and-switch
2. Clever bait-and swich
3. Back to 1.

Capture: poison apple

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Number 8 is also many other EU countries, like NL and BE.
You forget to mention you can see the two grounding wires at the tops, and the two extrusions at the sides to prevent it from going in sideways!

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
We are screwed as a race. How are we gonna colonize the cosmos when we can't even agree on a common outlet? RIP Humanity 1985-2014 you will be missed. Kinda.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Omg, the Danish socket/plug is so cute! I want to to be used in North America. :(

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
The Australian socket is (obviously) the one that I am most familiar with. However that is just the standard household 240 volt 10 amp (2,400 watt) variant. There are other variants of the flat three-pin design going up to 20 amps at 250 volts (5,000 watts) on single phase and 5 round pin plugs going up to 50 amps on multiphase power at 500 volts (25,000 watts) and every plug is designed so that you cannot plug a higher amperage device into a low amperage outlet however you can plug a lower draw device into a higher wattage outlet without any issues as long as the voltages between device and outlet match (Sending 500 volts through a 240 volt circuit is typically not such a good idea!).

While most people would never see a proper multiphase industrial outlet in their lifetime they can still deliver a VERY substantial shock if handled incorrectly and people still need to be aware of the danger

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I must've accidentally clicked on an old Wikipedia link (which i visit occasionally because I'm weird) in my history 'cause this can't be the Escapist posting outlet pron.

Fun fact, that third grounding/earthing/(annoying thing that gets ripped off by people not up to speed on electrical saftey) pin is longer than the others on every plug shown so the first and last contact is always that safety measure. (If you make or repair a cord with one of those store bought plugs that you wire up yourself, always maker sure to keep that wire longer than the others so you've got ground in case the cord is pulled out of the pug. I make my hots just a tiny bit shorter than neutrals, too.)

I'm still kinda jealous UK outlets usually have switches built in and the plugs have fuses while the my area in the US just got stricter with how you wire the outlets. The switches would help save power with all this always on or on standby technocrap industries keep feeding us, without forcing you to buy some dumb switched outlet thing or a power strip for $10. And, the fuses would definitely cut back on fires from overloaded cords. "No that paper thin lamp extension cord isn't going to run a hot plate and an A/C unit. For long."
fix-the-spade said:
No article on socket plugs is complete without the mighty BS 1363 three pin plug. Preventer of fires, pre-emptive earther of circuits, destroyer of feet!
I just tried stepping on one of those, FOR SCIENCE! (I got it from some equipment at work that included both NEMA 5-15 and BS 1363 cords.) It sure hurts, but a NEMA 1-15 wall wart's pins are slightly thinner making it hurt a little more. Watch out for those monsters, too. (I know some companies are so cheap that they make one voltage sensing wall wart with the North American pins and send it out with snap on adapters to overseas markets.)

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
"8 holes that will shock you"

Must... not... make... a... "your momma"... joke...

Though seriously, what the hell is up with the Danish plugs? Seems... impractical and pointless.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
This would have been a GREAT article to have two months ago when I had people lying endlessly to me about what plugs Russia had.

Ah well, I'll use it if I ever go anywhere else.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Even though they're standard "filthy American dog" NEMA plugs, I'm a huge fan of the twist-lock [http://communities.leviton.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-3648-1952/twist+lock.png] variety. Something about their design just rubs me the right way. And yes, despite the joke above I am aware they use these in Canada and Mexico as well.

As for other fun shapes, France [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/French-power-socket.jpg/200px-French-power-socket.jpg] uses a fun variation of the three round plug, where the ground pin is actually sticking out of the outlet.

I want to assume that the Faroe Islands use the same happy plug that Denmark uses, but I firmly believe all of their electricity comes from some kind of hammer.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Cheeses Archipelago Christendom, I had no inkling that there were so many plugs! Those American ones look absolutely terrified.