8 Kickass Girls in Anime

Hayden_Russell

Aug 11, 2015
8 Kickass Girls in Anime

Sometimes, guys can have all of the spotlight in anime, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of kickass girls either. Here are our top 8 kickass girls in anime. Leave your faovrite out? Let us know in the comments!

Read Full Article

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
This is the part where we complain about missed inclusions, so - personally, I would have ranked Saber from Fate/Stay or Revy from Black Lagoon above a few on the list.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
JCAll said:
I'll have to check out Soul Eater. It sounds cool.
Start off by watching the first opening, it's one of my favourite anime openings ever. Though if you've never seen an episode it's gonna look really weird.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Aerosteam said:
JCAll said:
I'll have to check out Soul Eater. It sounds cool.
Start off by watching the first opening, it's one of my favourite anime openings ever. Though if you've never seen an episode it's gonna look really weird.

That brings back memories. Soul Eater had some really great songs for openings and endings - energetic, catchy, usually both. I haven't watched Soul Eater in years, but I listened to Bakusou Yume Uta this morning.

No, wait, I'm listening to it now.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
The entries of this list are probably one of the few I can respect. Normally most "Kickass girls" list have one or two that are legitimately cool and powerful, but then get buried under characters who are only on it because they're not ENTIRELY useless drones who's sole contribution is their various tropish personalities and tits.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Slycne said:
This is the part where we complain about missed inclusions, so - personally, I would have ranked Saber from Fate/Stay or Revy from Black Lagoon above a few on the list.
Exactly what I was thinking... seriously don't understand why Bulma was included over Saber or Revy.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
Valkrex said:
Slycne said:
Exactly what I was thinking... seriously don't understand why Bulma was included over Saber or Revy.
Or even Launch or Chi-chi of the same series.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Um...

General Olivier Mira Armstrong (FMA: Brotherhood)
Inquisitorial General Esdeath Partas (Akame Ga Kill)
Diva (Blood+)
Haman Karn (Zeta Gundam and Double Zeta Gundam)
Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill la Kill) or Ryuko Matoi (KlK)
Astaroche Asran, Viscountess of Odessa and Duchess of Kiev (Trinity Blood)

Hell, in Maka's own series she was vastly outclassed by Medusa Gorgon.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
I'd put Lina Inverse on the list. The most powerful sorceress around with a rough awareness of just how powerful she is, able to craft, yes craft, a spell that can destroy the world.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
LordLundar said:
I'd put Lina Inverse on the list. The most powerful sorceress around with a rough awareness of just how powerful she is, able to craft, yes craft, a spell that can destroy the world.
I see your Lina Inverse and raise you her older sister Luna, who is so feared that when the Gods need help, they go to her first. She killed a plasma dragon... with a kitchen knife.

Same series: Beast Mistress Zelas Metallium. Xelloss's enigmatic mistress who manipulates the events of the world like puppets on strings. Nigh immortal, and every spell that draws on her name KILLS INSTANTLY AND HUNTS YOU RELENTLESSLY. Her true form is a walking nightmare, a wolf with silver wings that can destroy mountains with a howl and unleash apocalyptic devastation from its feathers.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Heh, when I read the title, I was expect modern/ current kickass girls like Mikasa from AoT. Glad to see it was mainly classic and pre modern girls!

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Scarim Coral said:
Heh, when I read the title, I was expect modern/ current kickass girls like Mikasa from AoT. Glad to see it was mainly classic and pre modern girls!
There are a ton of "modern" kick ass girls in Anime. The cast of Kill la Kill and Akame Ga Kill are good examples. Obviously, the cast of AoT and SAO are BAD examples.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Waitttasecond, on KICKASS list you include Sailormoon, but drop...
1) Lafiel from Senkai no Saga
2) Claire/Theresa from Claymore
3) Caska from Berserk
4) Seras from Hellsing
5) Elsa from Fairy Tail
6) Karen from Code Geass
7) Revy from Black Lagoon
8) Yocko from Gurren Lagann
9) Asuka from NGE
10) Nausicaa from the Valley of the Winds (Granny rocks, but Nausicaa kicked much harder asses in more ways then just punching)
11) ... I'm tired. Who makes these lists anyway?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Alright, so you gave a spot to Sailor Moon, which I'm convinced helped bring hentai to the west. But not Revy, the woman who gets aroused by dual pistol firefights as much as Deadpool in that one there trailer.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Sailor Moon and Bulma? :/ Seriously? There are so many better female characters from shows like; Fate/ (Rin), Sword Art (Sinon), Naruto (Tsunade), Inuyasha (Sango), Outlaw Star (Twilight Suzuka), Voltron (Princess Allura)

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Pretty solid list. By no means complete, as many people want to add to it, but a solid list that spans a good bit of time.
I've always been a fan of
A series of movies from the 80s, to early 90s that revolved mostly around the love triangle between the 3 girls, and parodied pretty much everything, and I'm fairly certain it could probably be never be repeated. They poked fun at everything from Fist of the North Star to Superman, to Iron Man to Colonel Sanders, Macross, Lupin III, Kaiju movies, etc.
More over crew from many anime came together on the project. It was sort of an allstar crew. I highly recommend it.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I have trouble believing any women from Soul Eater can be on that list. Granted I only made it like...4 episodes in, but every women was horrible in that show and treated horribly to boot. Most of them were literal weapons. Not cool weapons like Mercy in Young Justice (walking cyborgs yo!), but they literally get turned into guns and shit. Plus, again from what little I saw, they treated Maka like shit.

monkeymangler said:
Scarim Coral said:
There are a ton of "modern" kick ass girls in Anime. The cast of Kill la Kill and Akame Ga Kill are good examples. Obviously, the cast of AoT and SAO are BAD examples.
SAO I can agree since they treat their women like crap on a stick, but Mikasa is almost always portrayed as the most competent person of everyone that isn't Levi (or whatever the leader of the scouts name is). She's not overtly sexualized, she has agency, and she's a fuckin badass with that equipment. Even better, they actually made a women that has muscles without being creepy about it. I know its weird to say, but how often do you see a cut women in anime that isn't a mountain of a women? Its great and I love it.

What about her in particular do you think disqualifies her as being a great badass character?

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
shintakie10 said:
I have trouble believing any women from Soul Eater can be on that list. Granted I only made it like...4 episodes in, but every women was horrible in that show and treated horribly to boot. Most of them were literal weapons. Not cool weapons like Mercy in Young Justice (walking cyborgs yo!), but they literally get turned into guns and shit. Plus, again from what little I saw, they treated Maka like shit.

monkeymangler said:
Scarim Coral said:
SAO I can agree since they treat their women like crap on a stick, but Mikasa is almost always portrayed as the most competent person of everyone that isn't Levi (or whatever the leader of the scouts name is). She's not overtly sexualized, she has agency, and she's a fuckin badass with that equipment. Even better, they actually made a women that has muscles without being creepy about it. I know its weird to say, but how often do you see a cut women in anime that isn't a mountain of a women? Its great and I love it.

What about her in particular do you think disqualifies her as being a great badass character?
No doubt that she is easily the least offensive of female characters out there in SAO and AoT.

As far as Soul Eater goes... Medusa and Arachne Gorgon are much better examples of females. Medusa kicks so much ass, she needs shoes that are treated for "buttocks smell". Not that she wears shoes, since she has her whole snake motif going.