8 Konami Franchises that We Want to Keep Playing

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Konami Franchises that We Want to Keep Playing

Konami's future might be up in the air, but there are definitely some of their franchises we'd like to see survive.

Read Full Article

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I didn't realise that Pro Evolution Soccor was made by Konami. Man, every footie gaming fan like my bro must be devastated by that seeing how my bro and my cousin loved that footie game!

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Reading through that list is really depressing. Some of my favorite game series have been dead (Gradius, Contra), turned into unrecognizable messes (Castlevania Lords of Shadows), or both (Bomberman Act Zero). Metal Gear Solid V was the only Konami game I bought since MGS4, and I probably won't be buying another game from them ever if the rumors of them leaving the console industry are true and they continue down the path to irrelevance.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'm so firmly in the FucKonami camp that I'm never going to buy another game from them. I've never actually taken that stance before but after what they did to Kojima and the Silent Hills project, it absolutely broke my resolve of giving publishers the benefit of the doubt. Konami steered the ship into the iceberg, despite all signs telling them not to and I cannot forgive them. MGSV:TPP was the last thing I would ever buy from them, and I had a hard time even bringing myself to do so.
I'm done, done, done, done with their bullshit. Go make mobile games and pachinko machines, hit that fucking lever all you want. My days of ever caring what they do are over.
If they ever return to the market, I will treat them like an ex-girlfriend I ran into at the mall. Nod at their presence, but if they try to talk to me give them the universal fuck off look and walk the other direction.
I may get over my anger, I may even one day find forgiveness in my heart only for all the great things they once did, but I will never forget the last few years of their bullshit. I don't even feel this way for EA, and god knows they've done some stupid shitty things. No, Konami firmly has lost a customer, and if they are honest about getting the fuck out of games, good. I don't want them here anymore. They're persona non grata, see the sign on the wall? It says "KONAMI NOT FUCKING WELCOME" in every language possible, just so they understand.
/diatribe

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Metal Ger Solid is probably getting another game released soon, Konami recently filed a trademark for a new Pachi machine titled 'Big Boss,'

Sometimes it is better to let something wither and die than see it carry on as an empty husk. MGSV would make for a decent end to the series, especially with it's various retcons and the coach and horses it drives through some of the other themes of MGS.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Konami is still going to keep making Pro Evolution Soccer, so technically you can keep playing that series, just none of the others. Damnit...

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Yeah, only if Konami won't have anything to do with them. I was particularly disappointed with Lords of Shadow 2. While I considered 1 a strong AND necessary reboot (the series started out with a very western feel, but latest games were very animu, not to mention the gameplay style being completely different) and had high hopes for 2, it disappointed in nearly every regard, save for graphics, music and combat (which does make for an enjoyable game still, but... you know). Castlevania needs a good, strong reboot with the mix of the best things from the classic and LoS games (metroidvanias can go fuck themselves), but this ain't going to happen any time... yeah, this ain't going to happen.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
fix-the-spade said:
Sometimes it is better to let something wither and die than see it carry on as an empty husk. MGSV would make for a decent end to the series, especially with it's various retcons and the coach and horses it drives through some of the other themes of MGS.
Something to remember is that MGS2, MGS3 and MGS4 where all also created as intended endings for the series, yet another was always made due to popular demand. Though I would agree the story of the rise and fall of the Patriots (though I would totaly play the hell out of a triple A modern version of Metal Gear 1 and 2).

Personally I'd like to see Platinum Games make Metal Gear Rising 2, or other games following side characters who can handle their own story in the post-Patriots world. It's not as though the threat of Metal Gear isn't still out there in the setting.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Does Metal Gear belong on this list? Granted, I haven't played a Metal Gear game since Snake Eater, but with the departure of Kojima since the Phantom Pain, is it a series that Konami should be continuing? Not to mention that I've got the impression that Revengeance is regarded as a black sheep for the series, and based on everything I've seen, I can see why.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Hawki said:
Does Metal Gear belong on this list? Granted, I haven't played a Metal Gear game since Snake Eater, but with the departure of Kojima since the Phantom Pain, is it a series that Konami should be continuing? Not to mention that I've got the impression that Revengeance is regarded as a black sheep for the series, and based on everything I've seen, I can see why.
Well the story of the rise and fall of the Patriots is something that really couldn't be expanded upon any more at this point outside of remaking the games which already exist (and I'll be honest, I'd play a modern remake of the first two Metal Gears). Revengance isn't so much bad as much as it is ignored. It's a story about Raiden, one taking place post Patriots and is a hack-and-slash game instead of stealth. All these elements coupled with Kojima's not being involved makes a lot of people just overlook it, though I personally enjoyed it and would by a sequel if one is made.

The story of Big Boss and Solid Snake is open and shut, but the setting itself has plenty of potential for storytelling and gameplay. The power vacuum created by MGS 4 can be used for quite a few stories and be a series unto itself. And I know I'd go along for the ride, at least at first to see if it's any good.

Though there is something we need to remember:

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Konami is still going to keep making soccer games and probably Metal Gear games, so I wouldn't worry about those. There's no hope anymore for games like Boktai, Zone of the Enders, or Lost in Blue. Rocket Knight and Frogger got new games a few years ago, and they'll probably be the last ones.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I opened this and thought, 'Suikoden better be on this list!'

It both pleases and depresses me that it is. Pleases because it's nice to see other people recognizing the series for what it's worth, but depressing because I know another game--another numbered game--will never be made, and there are still so many unanswered questions.