8 Little-Known Star Wars Facts

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Little-Known Star Wars Facts

Think you know your Star Wars? See if you know these eight facts!

Read Full Article

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
#8 makes me think of all the old school Lucas Arts games, especially Dark Forces 2. Light Side endings tend to be the canon ones.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Ukomba said:
#8 makes me think of all the old school Lucas Arts games, especially Dark Forces 2. Light Side endings tend to be the canon ones.
Heck yes. It may have been corny as hell and jarringly out of character, but damned if it still wasn't awesome.

"I have no time for petty uprisings. Extinguish them, painfully."

For the films though...no. One of the things that set Star Wars apart from its contemporaries was its undercurrent of hope, no matter how desperate things became for the heroes. It was a breath of fresh air in an era where bitter cynicism was all the rage in cinema.

Between "Now I am Vader" and the Yoda monkey, it just goes to show that Lucas has always had weird-ass ideas. Thank God there were people that weren't afraid to call him out back then.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
The story on number 4 is even stranger. Its was a three way swap, 5% of Star Wars, 5% of Close Encounters and 5% of Big Wednesday. Big Wednesday was a surf bum flick by John Milius that made nothin. John Milius is best know for Red Dawn and being the basis of John Goodman's character, Walter Sobchak, in the big Lebowski. Puts fingers in the ears at the the mention of Homefront.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
8 Doesn't really make sense to me or was it cos of Luke outlash at Vader would had let him embrace the dark side?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
That's interesting, especially the last two... which are kinda weird. I'm not sure how a monkey in a Yoda costume would have worked, and Luke turning to the Dark Side just like that feels a bit... off. I dunno, maybe under a different set-up it could have worked, but here? Yeah, no.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
#8 doesn't make any sense to me. Luke just finished defying the Dark Side before that whole mask removal scene. Having him don the mask a go to the Dark Side after all that just doesn't work. I'm glad they didn't go with that ending.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
#8 doesn't make any sense to me. Luke just finished defying the Dark Side before that whole mask removal scene. Having him don the mask a go to the Dark Side after all that just doesn't work. I'm glad they didn't go with that ending.
I think it would be doable, but it would take a writer/director far better than Lucas to have pulled it off.

OT: Those are some cool facts. I guess Kubrick's interference was worth it, though, considering how awesome the Shining turned out. I also didn't know that Harrison Ford got the part feeding lines to people who were auditioning for it. Sucks to be them.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
It'd basically require an entire re-write of the Luke and Emperor sequences throughout the end of the movie, underlying how he was defying the Emperor more so than the Dark Side. Perhaps if they had gone with the Dark Sider ending then those sequences would have played out differently as well.

Otherwise, yeah, it's a completely jarring 180 from the whole "You have failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me!" deal.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
flying_whimsy said:
I think it would be doable, but it would take a writer/director far better than Lucas to have pulled it off.

OT: Those are some cool facts. I guess Kubrick's interference was worth it, though, considering how awesome the Shining turned out. I also didn't know that Harrison Ford got the part feeding lines to people who were auditioning for it. Sucks to be them.
The whole time I was writing that one up, all I could think about was Christopher Walken as Han Solo. It was really weird, even in my head.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Let's run the list:

1. I actually knew this and it's partly why I like the Original Trilogy so much. Very little (at the time) of big name talent so the ones we had had to really put the effort in. No big names and bigger egos to cause problems.

2. Interesting, but not surprising. Kubrick's considered a genius, but I can't think of anyone who actually said they liked working with him.

3. Also not surprising. Disappointing however as I feel practical effects and costuming are still better choices when feasible.

4. Another one I knew. Close Encounters was Spielberg's "artistic" film if you will while Star Wars Was purely meant to make money.

5. And to this day, both ships and their classifications are so much more than one offs. Neat, huh?

6. There's a reason why movie studios are regarded as evil.

7. I doubt the monkey idea would have panned out. Really thankful for the Jim Henson puppet.

8. Another one I'm thankful didn't pan out. Luke spent the entire film defying the dark side outright, there's even his whole "I am a Jedi, like my father before me" line as an act of defiance. Suddenly turning on his friends with no reason probably would have made everyone just go "huh?" in the best case scenario.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Presumably they scenes leading up that would have been a bit different to support Luke being swayed to that, but who knows.

What interests me more, is how would Luke have taken over? Evil and totalitarian or not, The Empire was a legal government and had a hierarchy and bureaucracy that didn't involve Luke. Being Vader's unknown Rebel son doesn't sound like it'll get him that far. Is he literally going to pretend to be Vader by putting on the mask (which is also a custom made life support system that probably won't fit), right... Vader himself taking over might be a hard sell.

Doubt he could ever force choke enough people to take over the Empire.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
ffronw said:
The whole time I was writing that one up, all I could think about was Christopher Walken as Han Solo. It was really weird, even in my head.
Yeah, I'm having trouble figuring out how he would sound and move. I suspect Walken would have been a terrifying Han Solo: a man so intimidating and sinister that no one would dare question that he'd shoot first.