8 Memorable Moments from the History of World of Warcraft

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Memorable Moments from the History of World of Warcraft

There have been some great moments over the history of World of Warcraft, but these eight stand out.

Read Full Article

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Huh, I expected less raid bosses and more grander moments from WoW's history like the Corrupted Blood Incident, the end of Barrens Chat (and thus 'honouring' Barrens Chat itself), that kinda stuff. Because those are the ones that keep with me more than just raids being opened.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I have to note that the coolest things in WOW happened in Vanilla and Burning Crusade (though Ulduar from WotLK happens to be my all-time favorite raid). The world events from that era haven't been duplicated or emulated since and is why I think a lot of folks aren't happy with current day WoW's work.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Most memorable WoW moment of non-WoW players: LEROOOY JEEENKINS!!!

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Smilomaniac said:
Like Cowabungaa mentioned, the "corrupted blood incident" was definitely one of the more interesting moments in WoW.

The reason the opening of Ahn'Qiraj was special, was the fact that Blizzard had no idea so many people would be logged on at the same time. They admitted in their 10 year anniversary video that they were not prepared. The fact that they've been caught with their pants down every launch is also interesting to note.

There was also the time where Blizzard was banning people for "wall jumping" and even talking about it on the forum. Basically you could enter undeveloped zones (Hyjal) and explore the world in a new way.
This was a vastly underrated moment in not only WoW, but gaming history as Blizzard more or less said that "it's not how you enjoy our game, it's how we want you to enjoy it". You'd think gaming journalism would've been interested in that little bit.

The 10 year anniversary Molten Core event was probably one of the best things ever. People were miserable, angry and stressed about the event and it was unbelievably funny to see "new" players trying to wrap their head around actually wiping on non-heroic (I mean mythic) content.
I don't know if Blizzard intentionally kept the fights as they were or if they thought the raid was still somehow balanced, but the end result was beautiful.

There has been many baffling things about WoW since launch, from design to customer care. People from Blizzard are hailed as rockstars (some literally), but there has come a lot of bad things out of this turbulent journey as well and I wish more people would write about those as well...
Good post, I agree. Corrupted blood is more deserving to be on the list than the arrival of the Scourge, as the latter event was basically a controlled repeat of the spontaneous corrupted blood incident.

Overall, that Molten Core event seemed like a lot of fun. But looking at the player's chat also reminded me of what is so totally wrong (in my eyes) with current day WoW. Seeing things like: "You have to be iLevel XXX to queue for raid YYY", that just makes me cringe.

I know the dungeon finder made life a lot easier in the game, but it also signifies the philosophy that Blizzard ultimately got caught in with WoW which Smilomaniac mentions: "It's not how you enjoy the game, it's how we want you to enjoy it." Things like corrupted blood and Ahn'Qiraj were not repeated because Blizzard didn't want to take any risks with their golden product, even though they had the money to do tons of interesting things.

Ultimately I feel like they're just shoving players into tiny neat little playgrounds where very little to nothing unexpected ever happens.
What made WoW great for me in the early days were the unexpected things however, the hardships you went through with other players that got guilds and lasting in-game friendships and rivalries started.

Wall-climbing was also one of those things for me and not just that but blinking or sheeping through walls, finding insane places and tricks, hidden zones. Oh goodness those days.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
The most memorable moment to me was definitely the opening of the gates because that was the downfall of the game, when it became less about having adventurous fun and more about grinding, grinding, grinding. It also marked the moment Blizzard showed they didn't care about their awesome world, letting new players skip all that great content they once provided. Also proved how unepic epics truly are. Oh you spent months collecting all that awesome gear, well lets open up this new area which will drop commons of equal par. How fun is that?

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Glitching into unfinished areas really made WoW for me. One of my favourite moments was the exploration of the dungeon under Karazhan.

That was a time of myths and legends for me.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
*snip* like the Corrupted Blood Incident
I actually had thought about including the Corrupted Blood Incident, but for this list, I was thinking more of things that most every player experienced. That was one that most only heard about, and didn't get to experience. I also left off the instances of people chain-kiting Lord Kazzak into Stormwind, no matter how much I loved watching it.

This gallery was born more of me remembering the big moments that I experienced, and the ones I heard other players reminisce about as well.

Maybe I'll do a more overarching version of this one with examples like Corrupted blood, Lord Kazzak, the guy who made it rain gnomes, etc.