8 Mods that Were Better Than the Game

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014

Here are eight mods for games that were done so well, they, quite simply, made the game better.

Do you know of others? Feel free to let everyone know in the comment section!

Read Full Article

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod, playing all the 2 games + 2 expansions as one game is pretty awesome.

People don't like BG1 and ToSC very much, but don't sweat, you can cheese it with broken BG2 kits.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Better than the game? If these mods were so great, it's only because they're standing on the shoulders of giants.

I'm not saying the mods are bad. At all. But the title makes the devs sound lazy and uninspired. Skyrim's got thousands of mods for it, some of them super great, but let's all just remember that a lot of blood and sweat went into making all of those base systems and assets that the mods are using and the Creation Kit itself.

n0e said:
Star Wars: Galactic Warfare takes Call of Duty 4, arguably the best of the series and the Star Wars universe and combines them.
Soooo... It's Battlefront.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
This article outright twists facts several times. It is pure shite. Also, Falskaar is better then Skyrim? Lol.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
I massively have to disagree with Black Mesa.
I played it - and it's not even remotely as good as the either of the two Half-Life games. There were just so many backwards design choices that I consider just outright playerhostile, boring or otherwise broken... good god, I still get a headache from it.
The first time I played it, I couldn't stand it and uninstalled it on the same day, installed the original Half-Life and played through that all the way through in one day just to wash out the bad taste Black Mesa left. And the second time, I attempted to use console commands galore to fix what I could - and still gave up halfway through, once again returning to the original Half-Life (followed by the expansions and the sequel plus episodes for good measure) instead.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Honestly, the only one that I can somewhat agree on is The Sith Lords Restoration project. It's pretty much required for KOTOR 2. But honestly, it's a mod that restores content, although super impressive, it doesn't really add tons of original content.

The other ones I either can't comment on or strongly disagree with, Summerset Isle or Falskaar being better than Skyrim? Just no. While impressive, they don't even start to scratch the surface.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
DarklordKyo said:
I find the lack of Enderal disturbing.
I find the lack of Nehrim disturbing. And Russell. And New Vegas Bounties.

And those're the ones that immediately spring to my mind.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
DarklordKyo said:
I find the lack of Enderal disturbing.
Yes. The omission of Nehrim for Oblivion is probably worse. And Falskaar better than the original game? Hardly.

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
n0e said:

Here are eight mods for games that were done so well, they, quite simply, made the game better.

Do you know of others? Feel free to let everyone know in the comment section!

Read Full Article
Too many Skyrim mods. Where's Mech Warrior Living Legends, where's XCOM Long war?

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Falskaar was incredibly short and very barren. It had no density whatsoever with empty plains with trees spaced out way too evenly and only had the occasional wolf or two.

The story itself was fine, the voicework was passable except that EVERY actor was clearly using a completely different quality of microphone and it was so noticeable.

Good job to the person getting a job after it, but it didn't really change my game.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
RealRT said:
Dota better than Warcraft III? Get out.
Haha I was thinking the same, but I know we're definitely in a minority here. WCIII and Frozen Throne were simply too good for their time. I tried to play DoTA a lot because a few of my friends were into it, but I just couldn't enjoy it in the slightest. I'm definitely missing something, seeing as it's like, the most played multi player game in the world, or something like that.

OT: There are a crazy amount of GTA mods, probably too many to list. And Half-life, and Doom, and Fallout. Heck, even Need For Speed way way back in the day. Just about every mod can be argued whether it's better than the original game or not, no matter how amazing they are. I can say that I played Counter-Strike a hell lot more than Half-Life, and hell even Natural Selection, but I don't know if you'd say they were better. They were original enough concepts that each stood on their own, beyond comparison.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
I've played mods *AS* good as the original game, Fallout DUST, for New Vegas is one of them - I've played it for 280ish hours.
I wouldn't say any of these mods are really *BETTER* than the original games though..

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Victim of Progress said:
Where's Mech Warrior Living Legends?
Here! Here! I really need to redownload it now that it has resumed development.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I wouldn't say either of those Skyrim mods are better than the base game... Skyrim is so much bigger and the world is simply much better designed. They're good mods, but calling Falskaar better than Skyrim seems kind of ridiculous to me. I'd say Enderal is much better than Falskaar btw.

I'd say that Mount and Blade Warband has several total overhaul mods that are better than the base game:

-Prophesy of Pendor offers a new world, tons of new enemies and factions, a lot of lore, and a lot of new mechanics that make the game much more interesting.

-Floris, while not an entirely new game, is essentially the base game only expanded and much better in every way.

-There are several other overhaul mods that many players swear by.

Venatio

Sep 6, 2009
I have to agree with the sentiment that either Enderal should have been included (which is indeed a better mod than the base game) or Falskaar and Summerset should have been excluded (being only as good as the base game, contrary to the article title).