8 Most Badass Videogame Ladies

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Most Badass Videogame Ladies

Videogames have more than their fair share of strong male characters, but today we give you just a few of the strong female characters out there. So sit back, and if you ask for a sandwich prepare to be punched.

Read Full Article

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Lightning, from Final Fantasy XIII, lost both of her parents by the time she was fifteen. Since then she's made herself into one of the most formidable people on the planet.
And now, for FF XIII-3, she's just another ditzy scantily clad dressup doll. Te-he~~~! Yay Japan.

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
For Mass Effect you went with whinny, weak Liara and not frigging FemShep? Helloooo?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Out of all the FF games you choose, Lighting?
Cloud in Drag?
Really?

Terra, easily a better badass.
Tifa, easily a better badass. (and I don't even like FF7).
Paine, easily a better badass. (and, yes, I know, she's basically Squall in drag).
Garnet, easily a better badass.
Maria, easily a better badass.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Tanis said:
Out of all the FF games you choose, Lighting?
Cloud in Drag?
Really?

Terra, easily a better badass.
Tifa, easily a better badass. (and I don't even like FF7).
Paine, easily a better badass. (and, yes, I know, she's basically Squall in drag).
Garnet, easily a better badass.
Maria, easily a better badass.
Opinions are opinions....

... But, yeah, I'd pick almost ANY other girl as a stronger, badass female character in Final Fantasy over Lightning. Except for Vanille. Even Eiko from FF9 suffered everything Lightning did, and worse, and still managed to remain spunky and dangerously powerful at the tender age of, what, 9 or 10?

Also... Pre-Other M, Samus is my number one. Post-Other M... oh gawd, WHY?!!!

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Furism said:
For Mass Effect you went with whinny, weak Liara and not frigging FemShep? Helloooo?
FemShep isn't a real character.
It's a nebulous set of variables.

Gamer87

Nov 22, 2013
CarlsonAndPeeters said:
I find the lack of Jade from Beyond Good & Evil disturbing...
Agreed. Jade is badass.

I can understand why they would not have Shepard on the list considering the character is not always a woman, but Liara? Badass? When they could have mentioned Jack or Ash or Eve or Aria or Nyreen or Samara... The list goes on.

I love Liara, btw, and she is capable and a skilled combatant, but to pick her in front of the ones I mentioned, no.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I though some other ladies were better.
A few from the Jak and Daxter series.

But about Lightning, she is the one entry who I doubt very much.
I mean at least replace her with Bayonetta.
[sub][sub]In my serious biased opinion ... Lightning doesn't really deserve her name. :/ [/sub][/sub]

As we all know though, this is someone else's opinion, not the community's.
*Shrug*

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
I can't wait for the day when these lists will just be '8 Most Badass Videogame Characters'.

Rather than these gendered topics instead. I would like that to happen soon please.

Also, video games where there are badass women, I'd like that not to be a story within itself.

Thank you

Bye.

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
Ieyke said:
Furism said:
FemShep isn't a real character.
It's a nebulous set of variables.
There's a whole bunch of Geth, Cerberus and Reaper who disagree.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Lightning? No way.

You couldn't pick someone who actually has a personality, like maybe one of these:
April Ryan (the Longest Journey & Dreamfall)
Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)
Ellie (the Last of Us)
FemShep
Faith (Mirror's Edge)
Aveline De Grandpré (Assassin's Creed Liberation)
Clementine (The Walking Dead 2)

Or one from countless other games.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Wow nice to see Bonnie from RDR on the list. She doesn't crop up a lot in discussion. Kudos.
(Weird there's not Jade or Lara Croft but fair enough, can't have everything)

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
What? But you are her arch-angel! You make a mockery of your title!

I suppose he meant badass as in the "kicks, flips and no nonsense" kind of way, she was not very compelling, but she was cool at times!
Sure I am her Archangel, but it is more like that I don't want her to be my human.

That name serves as a great disservice to my power!
She is called lightning, but there is nothing "lightning" about her.
Where is her aura, and where is her lightning sword!?

I don't see it.
So I cast her out of my eyesight!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Seriously, I never played ff13 but lightening is a woman? Shit, I honest to god thought that was a dude!

Kerrigan is the only badass on the list! We clearly have very different definitions of "badass", it's not how sad the backstory is, it's how powerful they are.

Jack from mass effect is more badass than Liara, made to be a perfect fighting machine with incredible powers. Lara Croft, a true gaming icon that has recently undergone a very dark rebirth. Ada Wong is another great badass character, sure she is a love interest but she also uses her love interest, manipulates and constantly gets one over on him.

I am sure there are more badass women but they are the ones I got off the top of my head.

stickmangrit

May 30, 2008
no Jade, no Boss, no Merryl, no Eva, no Olga, no Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite, no Terra, no Celes, no Lara, no Jack, and yet Lightning makes the list. huh...