8 Movies You Didn't Know Were Based on Books

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Movies You Didn't Know Were Based on Books

Not all movies are original, some are adaptations of another medium. Books are the source of much of Hollywood's material, and today we give you eight movies that you probably didn't know started their life as books. Get ready to add a few titles to your reading list.

Read Full Article

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Philip K. Dick wrote the original concept piece for so many of the sci-fi films we know today. Nothing but respect for him and his legacy.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Starship Troopers and Blade Runner really? I don't think that anyone who comes to this site wouldn't know that they were originally books.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
youji itami said:
Starship Troopers and Blade Runner really? I don't think that anyone who comes to this site wouldn't know that they were originally books.
These definitely, and I'd throw The Princess Bride out too for at least half the people who come here.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
youji itami said:
Hell, there's a good chance they'd know a few others are books as well. I knew just over half of them myself. But those extremely obvious ones does call the title into question.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
COMaestro said:
youji itami said:
These definitely, and I'd throw The Princess Bride out too for at least half the people who come here.
Indeed. Hell, I was expecting stuff like Forrest Gump (which was a pretty crappy book but a very excellent movie).

EDIT: Relevant Cracked article: http://www.cracked.com/article_15694_8-kick-ass-movies-you-didnt-know-were-based-books.html

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
COMaestro said:
youji itami said:
No kidding. I had to do a report and dissertation on The Princess Bride (and Wrath of Khan) for my humanities courses (music and cinema).

I'm throwing Dr. Strangelove in there as well. Though that just might be the company I keep; "Red Alert" has been referenced so many, many times in culture...possibly unintentionally.

...Come to think of it, the only one that I didn't know from that list (or had read) was Die Hard.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
One point I must disagree with is that Starship Troopers the movie is an insult to humanity. It anally rapes everything that Heinlein tried to express and does it for big wads of cocaine powdered cash. And it looks as if the still sort of in planning production of The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress the movie is probably going to be as big an anal rape job of Heinlein as it ever could be. There have been times when I wish a religious fundamentalist with a suitcase nuke would target Los Angeles. Usually it is after someone tries to make a movie out of a Robert A. Heinlein or Philip K. Dick novel.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I've read Nothing Lasts Forever... and even 58 minutes on which Die Hard 2 was based!

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
But....I already knew all of these were based on books and short stories. Hell, I've even read all of them except for Drive.

I mean, I would've thought most of the forum users around here would know at least half of these. I could be wrong, of course, but I feel most would know. Your average film-goer certainly wouldn't know, though.

Regardless, it's a good list. A nice selection of quality films.

ZZoMBiE13 said:
Philip K. Dick wrote the original concept piece for so many of the sci-fi films we know today. Nothing but respect for him and his legacy.
Oh yeah. Without a doubt. I've even met avid fans of his literary work who were shocked to learn how many films have been based on, reinterpreted from, adapted from, or influenced by his novels and short stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_adaptations_of_works_by_Philip_K._Dick

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
*head scratch*

Erm... who are these people who don't know that Blade Runner and Starship Troopers were based on previously published books? Maybe Die Hard is an absolute surprise ("Die Hard was based on a novel? I thought they were still making movies with original content in the 80's, weren't they? What, was Commando based on a novel too?" "Funny you should mention that... [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Hard]"), and maybe Drive is one that you look at and say "In retrospect, yeah this does seem like it could be based on a short story." but the rest?

I'd really like to know who the people are who are surprised by any of them.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
I knew most of these movies were based on books. The best movies often are. This is pretty much a gallery of 'the best movies ever'.

Only one I didn't know was Drive...now I want to watch that awesome movie again :p

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Good list and good explanations. There were a few I already knew (duh), but still a good read.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Am I the only one annoyed with lists like this that get you to read them by saying they're "things you don't know"?

Kind of an odd assumption. I knew every one of these. Two or three of them are pretty much common knowledge.