8 New Year's Resolutions for the Gaming Industry in 2016

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 New Year's Resolutions for the Gaming Industry in 2016

Now that it's 2016, let's talk about what we'd like to see the gaming industry do with their New Year's resolutions.

Read Full Article

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I posted this in another thread, though it seems to go better here:

9) Refine The Engines We Have, Instead Of Creating New Ones For Pointless Reasons:

It seems to be a fairly Japanese heavy thing, though 'the west' can get pretty bad at this as well.

We have so many, solid, graphics engines that can do damn near everything we need them to do but companies like S-E would rather build one from the ground up for half their damn games.

It seems like a HUGE waste of time, money, and manpower to constantly build a game engine for one or two games.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Actually, I'm wondering if Final Fantasy 14 should count for number 4 on that list.

Aside from that, and for agreeing with Tanis on their point, mine would be: to allow mods to exist in all games with no strings attached, regardless of platform, and to let the player have easy access to them. Bethesda's fan base makes the case for this for me - as they've already done numerous things with Fallout 4 to make it even more fun and/or realistic than the released product. From crafting, to weather, to character skins, modders have turned the world of Fallout into a mesmerizing experience to watch, let alone play. I say this as I'm primarily a console player, but damn if I had access to half of those mods, then Fallout 4 would easily be a purchase for me.

One last thing as I was typing that - if gaming companies are going to go apeshit, monkey nuts insane on remasters, then at LEAST remaster games that are no less than 2 generations of platforms behind the current ones. I don't believe I can put into words how physics breakingly fast I would purchase a remastered Secret of Mana and/or Secret of Evermore. And while I'm at it, if Square would see it fit to release an Engilsh version of Secret of Mana 2, that'd be great.

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
Tanis said:
9) Refine The Engines We Have, Instead Of Creating New Ones For Pointless Reasons:
10) Stop using bullshots and fake trailers to sell your products. {Looking squarely at you Ubisoft}

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
About the PC releases....

Your gripe seems a little petty. You want to have your cake and eat it too.

Either they release shoddy versions (Arkham Knight), or take time do it properly (GTA V). You want it to be done right, immediately. Unless it is a PC game first, that isn't going to happen and it's unrealistic to expect better. Personally, I want to get a finished product regardless of the wait.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
A least the remasters seem to finally be slowing down. Although, that might be because the publisher are running out of properties they feel like remastering. (Still waiting for a Dark Cloud/Rogue Galaxy collection, Level 5.)

--

Pre-ordering hasn't been necessary to get a retail copy of a game within a day or so of launch for years. Unfortunately, the mess that is the current preorder craze will continue until people wise up, if they ever do. (I'm working on a swine powered drone for when that day comes.)

--

One of the reasons I generally don't like the current DLC market is we have no idea what content was cut during the development of the main game, or how far along that content was. If the retail game feels finished and DLC is released later on for it or the team did want to keep the content in the base game but didn't have time and cutting it didn't noticeably hurt the game's value, that is ok. But, it seems like many publishers are forcing tighter deadlines and coercing the dev teams to cut out snippets of some modern games and repackage the content as preorder bonuses or DLC later on.

The best bet is to play most or all of a game before buying the DLC. This season pass BS needs to die faster than preordering, and that already should have been taken out behind the shed and put to rest almost a decade ago. I'd love to support a good game and its dev, but I hate propagating shady business practices.

The other aspect of DLC that irks me is the player base splitting map packs most online games love to punch out. As long as the micro-transaction crap stays cosmetic (I might even be too late to say that.) in Halo 5, it's great that MS/343 made the packs free in that game.

--

Honestly, if the PC port takes another year to be made, I'm okay with that. I understand that trying to get a game to reliably run on the multitude of different PC configurations (Win 7, 8, 8.1, 10 - Direct X 11, 11.2, 12 - AMD GFX, Nvidia GFX, AMD chipsets, Intel chipsets- different RAM amounts, etc.) out there is harder that the two console configurations that exist. It just better damn well be stable and a decent port.

--

#8 is why preorders are being pushed more and more, and review embargoes go until release date. The faster they can get the game in the hands of paying beta testers (and money out of those hands before word of mouth spreads, the better). Mostly it's just to weed out bugs the tiny testing team wasn't given the time to find, but there are really bad cases in recent memory. Unity was the one where Ubi just didn't care. Sell it fast and wait for the public to forget about it when the next AC comes out.

Although, I thought most of these modern multiplayer "public betas" are for testing net code, game balance, and stress on servers. That seems like more than a glorified demo to me, even though many players are using it as one. Though, if the Master Chief Collection did have a public beta before launch, it sure didn't help the final product.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
canadamus_prime said:
Somehow I can't see any of these actually happening.
You are not alone. But a guy can dream, can't he?

FoolKiller said:
About the PC releases....

Your gripe seems a little petty. You want to have your cake and eat it too.

Either they release shoddy versions (Arkham Knight), or take time do it properly (GTA V). You want it to be done right, immediately. Unless it is a PC game first, that isn't going to happen and it's unrealistic to expect better. Personally, I want to get a finished product regardless of the wait.
Two thoughts on that.

First, it's entirely possible to build a PC version alongside a console version especially with the architecture of the new consoles being so aligned with PCs. We've seen this done before (Max Payne 3), and say what you want about the quality of the game itself (I personally liked it), but the PC version was solid as hell. It was developed in tandem with the console version, and released the same day. It's not unrealistic to expect something like this, especially in light of how much money is out there in PC gaming right now.

Second, you'll note that I never said that PC versions have to be day and date releases with consoles. I said it's ridiculous for them to take so long to push out, especially if they're still a huge mess like GTA 5 / GTA Online. If a PC version lags a month or two behind, I'd be annoyed, but not up in arms over it.

What makes me angry is when PC versions are literally years later (or skipped entirely), or when they finally come out and it's obvious they did nothing to actually tailor the game to PC. In many cases, they don't even bother taking out the console prompts. They don't add simple features like field of view sliders. In short, they demonstrate that the PC version is a tossed-off afterthought that they're just doing so they can grab some of that sweet, sweet Steam money.

That's what I want to see change.

The Rogue Wolf said:
People keep saying "make a true MMORPG" but then they never say just what that is.
I don't even care what makes a "true" MMO. I just want to see someone move the genre forward and innovate. Hell, let two or three somebodies make what they think a "true" MMO is, and we can all play them and see what's best. I'm just sick of playing over a decade's worth of World of Warcraft clones.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Actually, I'm wondering if Final Fantasy 14 should count for number 4 on that list.

Aside from that, and for agreeing with Tanis on their point, mine would be: to allow mods to exist in all games with no strings attached, regardless of platform, and to let the player have easy access to them. Bethesda's fan base makes the case for this for me - as they've already done numerous things with Fallout 4 to make it even more fun and/or realistic than the released product. From crafting, to weather, to character skins, modders have turned the world of Fallout into a mesmerizing experience to watch, let alone play. I say this as I'm primarily a console player, but damn if I had access to half of those mods, then Fallout 4 would easily be a purchase for me.
Love the idea of universal modding. Wish it was real.

CrazyCapnMorgan said:
One last thing as I was typing that - if gaming companies are going to go apeshit, monkey nuts insane on remasters, then at LEAST remaster games that are no less than 2 generations of platforms behind the current ones. I don't believe I can put into words how physics breakingly fast I would purchase a remastered Secret of Mana and/or Secret of Evermore. And while I'm at it, if Square would see it fit to release an Engilsh version of Secret of Mana 2, that'd be great.
Look, I can see why Sony put out The Uncharted Collection. Not only are there a ton of people who own a PS4 that never owned a PS3 (At one time, I remember seeing a survey of PS4 owners, and 33% had not owned a PS3) that can now experience the series, but it gets those same people caught up on the story of the series. It was the same rationale behind the remastered version of The Last of Us.

That said, your point stands. We don't need a Gears of War remaster. We don't need a God of War remaster. At least not yet. What we need a remaster of Syphon Filter. Did I mention that I'd play the hell out of a remastered Syphon Filter? Because I totally would.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
ffronw said:
I don't even care what makes a "true" MMO. I just want to see someone move the genre forward and innovate. Hell, let two or three somebodies make what they think a "true" MMO is, and we can all play them and see what's best. I'm just sick of playing over a decade's worth of World of Warcraft clones.
The Secret World and Elder Scrolls Online are pretty different to the usual MMO formula, and I reckon the latter is different enough to the singleplayer games to not qualify as a singleplayer game made multiplayer, though I can't think of anything else that suits that moniker so this might've been what you were referring to in the first place.

Also Puzzle Pirates. Didn't you consider Puzzle Pirates?

Fucking artistic masterpiece that is.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
ffronw said:
They don't add simple features like field of view sliders.
On a side note... this should exist on console versions by now. So should fully customisable controls without needing to buy a 200 dollar controller....

I do agree that if they release a product on any platform, it should not just be treated as an afterthought.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Setch Dreskar said:
Tanis said:
10) Stop using bullshots and fake trailers to sell your products. {Looking squarely at you Ubisoft}
11) Make proper single player campaigns instead of focusing on multiplayer

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
The Rogue Wolf said:
People keep saying "make a true MMORPG" but then they never say just what that is.
It's another case of them not knowing what they want; only what they don't want.