8 Nintendo Consoles That Will Have You Dreaming of Mario

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Nintendo Consoles That Will Have You Dreaming of Mario

With all of this PS4 and Xbone talk we look at the other major console maker with a small list of Nintendo's consoles through the years. As we look back at the consoles of yesteryear let's take a moment to mourn the loss of our collective childhood.

Read Full Article

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I personally think that the Gamecube was one of Nintendo's best consoles second only to maybe the SNES.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
I personally think that the Gamecube was one of Nintendo's best consoles second only to maybe the SNES.
Agreed, Nintendo's even numbered consoles in general seem to be superior, probably because they're simply refinements of the previous console that focus more on games than introducing new ideas.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
OlasDAlmighty said:
canadamus_prime said:
Agreed, Nintendo's even numbered consoles in general seem to be superior, probably because they're simply refinements of the previous console that focus more on games than introducing new ideas.
I don't know, I feel like the Game Boy Advance is a better second compared to the Gamecube, aside from a few hardware drawbacks (no X and Y button, no backlit screen, and the screen resolution could have been bigger).

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Agree wholeheartedly. The Gamecube was a masterpiece of gaming hardware, that managed to pump out beautiful graphics that at least kept pace with anything its competitors did, but at a low price. But most importantly, it had an amazing lineup of many of the best games ever made.

Also, it doesn't get props enough I think, but the controller was a thing of beauty. The best gaming controller I've ever held to this day, and how I wish Nintendo would revive its style.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Jumwa said:
canadamus_prime said:
Agree wholeheartedly. The Gamecube was a masterpiece of gaming hardware, that managed to pump out beautiful graphics that at least kept pace with anything its competitors did, but at a low price. But most importantly, it had an amazing lineup of many of the best games ever made.

Also, it doesn't get props enough I think, but the controller was a thing of beauty. The best gaming controller I've ever held to this day, and how I wish Nintendo would revive its style.
I fucking loved that controller. I was always a Playstation kid, but when I went to a friend's place and picked up that controller I was amazed at how much more comfortable it was.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jumwa said:
canadamus_prime said:

The controller was also really durable. I once slammed one against the floor in rage and it still worked afterwards. Not like the PS2 controller which I broke several of those.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I kinda lol'd when the entry for the SNES showed a Super Famicom and not that dreadfully ugly thing you guys in the US got.
I do prefer the look of the NES over the original Famicom, though both are pretty unappealing imo, so that's not saying much.

Nice to see all the Gamecube love. But let's not forget one of the best things about it: the Game Boy Player.

Probably my favorite peripheral of all time. I was actually really surprised how well Game Boy (Color/Advance) games turned out on a big screen. A bit low-res, but otherwise perfectly playable. Digital downloads have made it obsolete nowadays, but in the olden days Nintendo was pretty much the only one to offer cross comparability like that.

Jumwa said:
But most importantly, it had an amazing lineup of many of the best games ever made.
The best gaming controller I've ever held to this day, and how I wish Nintendo would revive its style.
This is going to sound like madness, but I prefer the Wii-versions of some Gamecube games over the originals. I'm thinking about the Metroid Primes and Resident Evil 4 in particular. Not that those didn't play great on the GameCube and the Wii motion controls take a little getting used to, but once you do, I find it just plays better.

Pure heresy, I know.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
As nice as it is to see Gamecube love, people really should have bought it back in the day. It was something of a failure, selling by far the least number of units the gen.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Sean951 said:
As nice as it is to see Gamecube love, people really should have bought it back in the day. It was something of a failure, selling by far the least number of units the gen.
The Dreamcast sold a lot less, at least the Gamecube didn't die :)

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Jumwa said:
The Gamecube controller was comfortable to hold, but I never understood why it gets as much love as it does. It was a tad on the small side for me, but that's just a hand size thing. But even ignoring that, the D-Pad was too small and in the worst possible place I could imagine putting a D-Pad without putting it on the back of the controller, The triggers feel kind of cheap and flimsy, the Z button is completely useless, the C-nub was the stupidest analog stick in history because there's absolutely no excuse for not having the top of it more appropriately sized and shaped for an actual human thumb, and the face buttons were much too hard and poorly placed. I get that Nintendo was trying to get developers to focus more on using the A button rather than making complex control schemes, but that's a stupid idea to begin with. Some games and genres need more complex control schemes than Mario. There's no getting around it, and using any two of those face buttons at a time isn't very comfortable.

Like I said, it was pretty comfortable to hold, but beyond that it was a mishmash of bad ideas and poor execution.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Evonisia said:
Sean951 said:
The Dreamcast sold a lot less, at least the Gamecube didn't die :)
Yeah, but the Gamecube only sold about twice as many units as the Dreamcast and was around for more than twice the amount of time. If we measure the Dreamcast as a sales flop we have to do the same for the Gamecube. And the Dreamcast didn't really fail because it was a bad system. It failed because of some marketing flubs by Sega in America, as well as the numerous expensive failures Sega suffered in the previous two generations (Sega CD, 32X, the Saturn). Based on its own game library and merits I would easily consider the Dreamcast the best of its generation allowing for the short time it was around. Certainly one of the best consoles of all time.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
The last Nintendo console I owned was a SNES and even then, I was more of a TG16/Genesis person. However, I sorta got out of consoles after than generation and didn't get back into until the PS2. Our relationship has never quite been rekindled like in my youth, though. I blame Steam.