8 of the Best JRPGs Ever Released

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Final Fantasy X? Really? Was that the first one you played? I could understand picking the overrated VII, but X? That is one big steaming pile of crap.

And no Suikoden is ridiculous.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Snotnarok said:
Xenogears shouldn't be on this list. So many list it as a great game but here's the issue with that, it's not finished! It is literally an unfinished game with half the game being forced in as giant walls of text instead of gameplay on disc 2. I mean literal walls of text and not just loads of talking. A character sat in a chair telling you what's going on instead of actual gameplay in walls of text, with random bits being playable then suddenly- last boss!

That would get a game crucified today but because they kicked out an unfinished game,yet it still makes the top 10 lists?

It's nonsense. Game with high potential goes to Xenogears, top ten? No.
It helps a lot that by the time you get to that point you're like 50-60 hours into the game!

I agree with the other guy though that pointed out how Square heavy this list is.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
A.K.B. said:
I've just recently tried The Secret Of Mana and couldn't play more than 2 or 3 hours ( which is, for an RPG, is like a sample )....
I couldn't get over how scarce and bland the exposition was, and whenever a conversation pops up, the overly simplistic dialogue just.... Ugh!
I guess this game wasn't meant to be played alone....
That's... basically how JRPG's were at the time. If you play FFIV you'll see it's not much different. It's a distinct level of evolution in the genre from Square, Secret of Mana-> FFVI -> Chrono Triggers and beyond.

Simple dialogue aside though the everything else about the game is solid. I'm not saying that out of nostalgia, had a play through the other year and liked it much more than Chrono Trigger.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
RandV80 said:
Snotnarok said:
Xenogears shouldn't be on this list. So many list it as a great game but here's the issue with that, it's not finished! It is literally an unfinished game with half the game being forced in as giant walls of text instead of gameplay on disc 2. I mean literal walls of text and not just loads of talking. A character sat in a chair telling you what's going on instead of actual gameplay in walls of text, with random bits being playable then suddenly- last boss!

That would get a game crucified today but because they kicked out an unfinished game,yet it still makes the top 10 lists?

It's nonsense. Game with high potential goes to Xenogears, top ten? No.
It helps a lot that by the time you get to that point you're like 50-60 hours into the game!

I agree with the other guy though that pointed out how Square heavy this list is.
That really doesn't change anything, there's plenty of games that are actually finished and not made by Squaresoft that didn't make this list.

This is more of a "the most popular RPG list" as most sites seem to do. In place of Xenogears, I'd nominate a game you don't hear about because it's not on the SNES, nor is it made by Squaresoft.

Phantasy Star IV, an RPG that goes above and beyond what was the norm of what was expected in the era. Traveling to different planets, fights in the vehicles you acquired, battles with full size enemy and character sprites that were all animated and the biggest thing was a story told through comic-book like cutscenes. Allowing the story to be told beyond just interaction and animation of sprites.
The major thing this game does as well is it ends the series. It's the last game and it says it boldly in the end. No stupid gimmick where the final boss or some guy survives at the end of the credits. You and your team have ended the cycle that spanned 4 games.

It's a short game but the fact they managed to cram the game into a cart is impressive, okay maybe Star Ocean has it beat since it required a special chip to literally fit the game in there. But 24megabit is pretty impressive none the less.

I'm not nominating something because I just like it and that's it, here's some valid reasons and considering the game is packed with other devs it'd be nice to see some added variety.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Michster said:
Well my avatar practically gives it away.............. BUT!

NO DQ8?!!!
Dragon Quest VIII doesn't get a lot of love around these parts. It's a shame but at least there's enough of us complaining.

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
Hm, I recently tried to replay both Chrono Trigger and Xenogears and couldn't get past the first 2-3 hours. I think that the problem is I've finished them already so I know what will happen so there is no challenge anymore. It's hard to separate ourselves from nostalgia sometimes, so I'll just leave them where they belong and say that while I personally think those two are incredible rpg's, I can see why people also think they are not.

I will say I am surprised about FFX. While it was ok ( mostly because...you know, Auron) I would've put FF IX ahead, but to each their own. I won't go into FFVI ( because I think that is one of the best games of all time) but I am surprised FF IV does not get mentioned more, I loved that game ( Fu So Ya rocks). When they came out with that anthology my girl thought " welp I guess I won't be seeing you for a year".

I am surprised Star Ocean does not get more recognition, or Dragonwarrior/DragonQuest. Likewise to the Lunar series. Or Lufia. I am glad someone mentioned Phantasy Star IV, that was an excellent game.