8 of the Best Nintendo 64 Games

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
No Conker's Bad Fur Day, no Jet Force Gemini, no Body Harvest, no Hexen 64, no Gauntlet Legends, and no Star Wars Rogue Squadron?! The fuck Escapist man?! The fuck?!
So no one heard of Hybrid Heaven:

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Stemer said:
Wait, why are there 2 links in the OoT picture?
And why does a grown-up Link use the Fairy Ocarina? And why do the buttons have the Gamecube's color scheme?

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Majoras Mask > Ocarina of Time (although OoT is amazing and set the standard)

Banjo Tooie > Banjo Kazooie > Donkey Kong 64 (all are great though!)

Goldeneye 007 > Perfect Dark (both are great games and Perfect Dark was more advanced but Goldeney was more fun)

Still, there are SO many games absent from this list. N64 was (and still is) the best console there has been!

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
But it's not the single player aspect of [Goldeneye] that really gave this game the staying power it needed to be looked at as one of the greats, it was the multiplayer
WHOA. NO.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Anyone who thinks Goldeneye was all about multiplayer might have played it, but they never actually OWNED it. By having well thought out objectives, non linear level design that made the places feel like actual places, and a no-nonsense punishing difficulty that made you really feel like you were the super spy when you got through (unlike the patronising handholding approach in all bond games since), Goldeneye's singleplayer has stood the test of time and is still played around the world to this day, almost twenty years later! Mostly because it still hasn't been topped. (Though Perfect Dark has a much better multiplayer by comparison).

I'd also vote Banjo Kazooie waaay over DK64, and Conker's Bad fur Day over that.

Tough call between Starfox and Rogue Squadron, but for sheer inventiveness I suppose Starfox takes it.