8 of the Best Selling PC Games Ever

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
ExiledCreature said:
What's wrong with the Starcraft picture? That's not even from the game.
I was going to say the same thing. Turns out it's from a Warcraft 3 mod [http://www.moddb.com/mods/starcraft-15-fusion-conversion-maps/addons/starcraft-demo-campaign-pack-v101].

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Evil Moo said:
ExiledCreature said:
What's wrong with the Starcraft picture? That's not even from the game.
I was going to say the same thing. Turns out it's from a Warcraft 3 mod [http://www.moddb.com/mods/starcraft-15-fusion-conversion-maps/addons/starcraft-demo-campaign-pack-v101].
How the fuck does he (or whoever picks the images) manages to screw up every time?

By now I am starting to think that its on purpose.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Wait..wait..Diablo III outsold DII? ..really?
Oh well, I guess it's great in that we've come so far to make games mainstream and popular.
Shame about some of the current practices though.

It's nice to see how many sold of what game. Such info can be hard to find (or made hard by publishers).

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
Blizzard and Valve with strong numbers... Didn't know they sold that much... 0.0

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
And thanks to Sims 4 being a totally stripped down, DLC cash grab, I'm sure Sims 3 will remain on this list. I'm still surprised that Diablo 3 outsold Diablo 2. I figured the world would have been smart enough to see through Blizzard's BS about multiplayer being integral to the experience, the lack of a decent amount of servers for the launch of one of the most anticipated games of all time, and their poor handling of that auction house. Hey, at least they learned with EA's last two outings with "Sim" in the title.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Oh well, I guess it's great in that we've come so far to make games mainstream and popular.
Shame about some of the current practices though.

It's nice to see how many sold of what game. Such info can be hard to find (or made hard by publishers).
Helps that when Diablo II was popular, everybody and their dogs pirated the games, and now:
a) People are more prone to buy games, despite what the copyright loby might have you belive.
b) There's x5 people owning a gaming computer. The overall pool of people who might buy ANY game has increased. That's why all the sequels on the list sold more than it's predecesors.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Wow, I did not think Guild Wars was going to make a list of best selling PC games, but hell if I'm not proud :') Spent some quality time on that game.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Only one that surprised me was Sims 3. I knew it'd done well but I didn't know it'd done 10 million-well.

But anyway, as I knew going in, Blizzard and Valve would have most of the list.

Though, I will say I'm surprised Myst wasn't on the list. I was under the impression it'd sold exceptionally well.

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
Qvar said:
Helps that when Diablo II was popular, everybody and their dogs pirated the games, and now:
a) People are more prone to buy games, despite what the copyright loby might have you belive.
True, might even be because people pirated the game that so many bought it.
(and that it was a great game.)

Qvar said:
b) There's x5 people owning a gaming computer. The overall pool of people who might buy ANY game has increased. That's why all the sequels on the list sold more than it's predecesors.
Very true. Also explains why they get away with doing many of the shady things they do. ,)
Many talked about boycotting certain games, but then, well.. That CoD steam list pic says much for example. ^^

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Remember there was a "sub to Wow for 12 months, get Diablo III for free" promo, they probably count that as a "sale" and the additional benefits in WoW prompted a lot of people to take them up on the offer.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Maybe it's just me, and that's likely, but I just get a bad taste in my mouth at the number of sequels on the list. Minecraft #1 yes yes, but with the exception of Half Life itself, they're all sequels. Just seems...off?

Maybe it's nothing.

Maybe it's everything.

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
Cartographer said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Remember there was a "sub to Wow for 12 months, get Diablo III for free" promo, they probably count that as a "sale" and the additional benefits in WoW prompted a lot of people to take them up on the offer.
Ah, I didn't know that, thanks. That would explain some sales yes, if it counted (which it probably does).
Statistics only say so much after all, and depending on who says them. It's always nice to know more than less though.

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
Hm, the only games I've played on this list are from Blizzard....I guess I like their games. I'm surprised at how well Guild Wars sold, they did pretty well for themselves. Seeing Starcraft there makes me want to wax nostalgic ( well, as long as you include Brood WArs in there) and I'm not too surprised at DIII's success, so many people had been waiting for the sequel that despite its downsides ( damn you always online and AH) people still ponied up the cash, myself included.

Blizzard and Valve....no surprise there. Minecraft though....who would have thought how successful that would turn out. Still haven't played it, which is strange since I love Terraria.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
8 of the Best Selling PC Games Ever

The PC doesn't get the appreciation that it should. It's what consoles are trying to be, and failing miserably at the attempt. If you enjoy gaming you aren't really getting the full effect unless you're playing on the best console there is, your PC.

Read Full Article