8 of the Best Shooters From The Past 10 Years

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 of the Best Shooters From The Past 10 Years

With the release of the much anticipated Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare we're going to look back at some of the best FPS games to be produced in the past ten years. Luckily over the years the genre has become quite the powerhouse, with Activision's Call of Duty leading the pack. So buckle up and prepare for some incoming fire.

Read Full Article

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
wackelpudding said:
Kyber said:
Is this a joke? This has to be a joke right?
My reaction as well.

... but I fear it ain't.
My bet is that the site is overloaded, and this article is attempting to make sure people never come back to this site ever again.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
TheSYLOH said:
wackelpudding said:
Kyber said:
Is this a joke? This has to be a joke right?
My reaction as well.

... but I fear it ain't.
My bet is that the site is overloaded, and this article is attempting to make sure people never come back to this site ever again.
It'd take more than this to do it, but it's still bad. Possibly one of the worst lists of FPS from the last ten years you could come up with. I'm not sure I could top it if I tried.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
While I enjoyed Halo 4 immensely, I'm surprised it's on the list. A lot of people despise that game it seems.

I need to go check the dates on a few of the shooters that I own, because there are some that I thought would have been on this list for sure but weren't. Perhaps they're too old.

I loved the zombie mode, in World at War all the way up to Black Ops II. The storyline in that series, and how they tell it, was amazing.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wait, how is Dead Island on a top # of anything list?! And Bulletstorm?! Is this a top 8 list or just a list of 8. 'cause I'd agree with that list. That certainly was 8 different FPS.

Capcha: Too late
I know it is...I know...

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
No Painkiller
No Serious Sam HD or Serious Sam 3
No Shadow Warrior
No Rise of the Triad.

But Dead Island made that list.

I'm speechless.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Battlefield, COD, Dead Island, and Bulletstorm made it to the list but not Wolfenstein the shooter that not only in my opinion successfully mixed old school with new school shooters but also a pretty decent story

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Considering what this list and the reactions to it is going to cause, I'm surprised Fallout 3 isn't on it.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I know, I know, opinions and all that, but...really?

I'm just genuinely confused by the list. I mean, I really liked Battlefield 3, but I would never put it on a 'Best Of' list. Certainly not on a list chronicling the best examples from the last decade. Among other things, it was marred by too many issues[footnote]Though no where near as egregiously as it's sequel.[/footnote], including a lack of stable server support for some time post launch. And then there's Dead Island, which, I believe, was almost universally panned. Its inclusion is just strange.

I can appreciate wanting to create a list that's different or unexpected, but if that was the intention why include so many standard examples? A Halo game, Bioshock, and others are pretty common inclusions. Why not go all out and list nothing but underrated or under-appreciated gems from across the last decade? There were certainly plenty of those.

Regardless, it was certainly an interesting list.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
RealRT said:
No Painkiller
No Serious Sam HD or Serious Sam 3
No Shadow Warrior
No Rise of the Triad.

But Dead Island made that list.

I'm speechless.
you and me both.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Some of those choices were surprising...but..."refreshing" I suppose. Beware the hoards however who'll feel all angry that their internet darling isn't on the list.

TheArcaneThinker said:
No fallout ? No painkiller ? or any other fast paced action game ?
Fallout is fast paced...?

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
This looks like a list of favorite genre games, whose writer prefers other genres. Of course there's nothing wrong with that, except for ruffling the feathers of genre fans.

I'm all for Bioshock being on a list of great games, but more for the overall game's incorporation of narrative and setting than its qualities as an FPS. I also think World at War is an awesome WWII shooter, but it was too derivative of the original Call of Duty and lacked compelling multiplayer outside of its zombie mode.

I'm a fan of the Unreal Tournament series, but I know I'm and outsider in that regard.

I'm curious to hear what 3PS games people would rate most highly since it incorporates a more varied gameplay.

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
Uhmm, everyone is entiteled to his own opinion, but some of these choices are... debatable. Hell, I wouldn't even call Dead Island a shooter. If I had to make a list of favourit Shooter, it would probably be:

Farcry 3
Transformers - Fall of Cybertron (do 3rd-Person-Shooters count?)
Wolfenstein (the new one)
Resistance 3
Halo Reach
Bioshock
FEAR (2005 right? So still only 9 years old)
Metroid Prime
Deus Ex Human Revolution (if want to count Metroid and Deus Ex as Shooters)

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
Rozalia1 said:
Some of those choices were surprising...but..."refreshing" I suppose. Beware the hoards however who'll feel all angry that their internet darling isn't on the list.

TheArcaneThinker said:
No fallout ? No painkiller ? or any other fast paced action game ?
Fallout is fast paced...?
Yeah.. Sorry about that , bad sentence formation.....