8 of the Coolest Gadgets from Videogames

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 of the Coolest Gadgets from Videogames

Videogames have a lot of awesome gadgets in them, but these eight are some of the coolest of all time.

Read Full Article

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Every time somebody mentions Singularity it makes a puppy smile.

Really, you're so much better than the first gallery guy.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
No portal gun or gravity gun? Given this forum's love of Valve I'm genuinely surprised they weren't included.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I find the lack of Dead Space's RIG, disturbing. That was without a doubt the best use of a HUD that I have ever seen. Everything is displayed on, or around the character, and it is certainly just a really cool concept and execution.

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
I'm disappointed, these are mostly fancy or showy items, not stuff I would consider cool.

Things can be lower tech but still cool.
I would personally take Rico's grappling hook over most of the gadgets displayed here.
Why? Just cause...

Bindal

May 14, 2012
RealRT said:
Every time somebody mentions Singularity it makes a puppy smile.
True. Even if it was more or less a knock-off of Half-Life 2 at times, it still had solid gameplay and a story that - if looked deeper into - was rather complex with tons of recurring time-loops...

RealRT said:
Really, you're so much better than the first gallery guy.
He does tend to either end up with typos or bad research quite often, however.
Here, the Splinter Cell Goggles are a good example: The entry claims that the original and sequel had only two lenses to represent the two modes - they always had three even in the original, as seen here [http://www.covergalaxy.com/xbox/Splinter%20Cell%20PAL%20COVER.jpg].
The only time the goggle DIDN'T have three lenses was in Coop and that still depended on the game.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
The Codec and The Animus beat out things like the Portal Gun and Lutece Device?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
No skyhook from Bioshock Infinite? That thing was badass!
Good to see the ol' PipBoy and OmniTool in here.
Not sure about Singularity, as its a weapon. And if weapons are allowed, where's my Space Marine ThunderHammer or Portal portal gun?

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Why no portal gun?

To be honest though, I'd love a Hookshot so bad. Simple (relatively) yet amazing.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Auron225 said:
Why no portal gun?

To be honest though, I'd love a Hookshot so bad. Simple (relatively) yet amazing.
Only reason I left the Portal Gun and the Gravity Gun off was that they appeared recently on our "Best Weapons" list, and I didn't think they should be able to double-dip.

Hookshot was one of my final cuts, though.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Bindal said:
He does tend to either end up with typos or bad research quite often, however.
Here, the Splinter Cell Goggles are a good example: The entry claims that the original and sequel had only two lenses to represent the two modes - they always had three even in the original, as seen here [http://www.covergalaxy.com/xbox/Splinter%20Cell%20PAL%20COVER.jpg].
The only time the goggle DIDN'T have three lenses was in Coop and that still depended on the game.
DAMMIT. I meant 2 modes and three modes. I have to proofread better. Too much going on around here right now. Great catch, though!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I personally would have put a Pokeball into the list because carrying LITERAL DRAGONS in your pocket never gets old.

But I'm biased. <.<

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I think it's a crime that we'll never have the Pip-Boy on a Wii U gamepad. It would had made Fallout more immersive.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Awesome gallery list!
Out of the games that I've played in somewhat recent times, I'd add couple of my own:
- Deadspace(s) - Kinetic module (great fun impaling necro's against the wall!)
- Watchdogs - Adrian's phone, seems to be able to do a hell of a lot....
- Crysis - The Nanosuit of course, greatest piece of game-changing armor (in either the sci-warfare game, or FPS game, uh, game)

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
The Portal Gun seems to be a glaring omission...

If it were my list, there are a couple I would've added too. The Hoverboots from Ratchet and Clank, they kind of speak for themselves, and the S.A.C. from Beyond Good and Evil, which can digitise physical items and store them as data to be recalled whenever and wherever you like. Pretty nifty.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I was expecting the Hidden Blade here, but that's really a weapon so it doesn't qualify. It must have been hard to narrow down which gadget from the Arkham series to put on here. As for Metal Gear Solid, I don't use the (!) sound effect for text messages or other alerts, because it would scare the crap out of me. I do use the Codec sound as my ringtone.