8 of the Most Evil Villains in Video Games

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
8 of the Most Evil Villains in Video Games

Who are your 'most evil' video game villains?

Read Full Article

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I really enjoy Handsome Jack as a villain.

I think it was pretty neat you got to see his progression, if you will, in the Pre-Sequel, and Tales of the Borderlands did cool stuff with him too.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
No Frank Fontaine or Diablo? Or the town of Silent Hill? The Joker? Megatron?

Fuck me the player character in Shadow of the Colossus basically ended the world and ushered in Dark Souls to try to fuck a dead chick! Bowser is a puppy compared to that.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
the most evil would be the PC in every grand strategy and 4x game. you play a war mongering conqueror who slaughters sometimes upwards of billions

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That picture for Harbinger is actually Sovereign from the first game.

Glad to see Handsome Jack on the list, if only because I remember saying that he was one of the most annoying and evil villains I had fought in a while, and a few people kept insisting that he wasn't a villain. Sorry, but when you say you're going to kill an employee's entire family simply because he asked a question, you are a villain.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Brower is evil?

He's a king of another nation and uses kidnapping as a means to prevent a full scale war.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Silentpony said:

Fuck me the player character in Shadow of the Colossus basically ended the world and ushered in Dark Souls to try to fuck a dead chick! Bowser is a puppy compared to that.
I don't think the town counts since it relies on whomever walks in, or "calls".

I mean, Laura saw nothing when she was there.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
No Luca Blight? He's the gold standard of JRPG villains.
As far as Final Fantasy, Kefka and Sephiroth and good picks, but I would say Exdeath is just as evil.

Doctor Wily from Megaman and his attempts at world domination not only lasted beyond his death but eventually led to the end of the whole human race.

The Big N has some real monsters, you could probably make a list just of those even minus Bowser and Ganon. Mario has Dimentio from Super Paper Mario, Zelda has Majora's Mask and it's playful hatred of everything that lives, Sturm and Caulder from Advance Wars tried to destroy a world and murder the survivors of a doomed world FOR SCIENCE respectively, Giygas from Earthbound is literally made of hate, Ridley from Metroid may look like a dumb animal but he's actually a ruthless and cunning pirate who EATS PEOPLE. Probably even more, that's just off the top of me head.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Silentpony said:

But I thought the town always had something malevolent about it? I mean I know Pyramid head and the other big bads are actually angels of the Lord, but its an evil God they serve.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
1) No. Misguided, but not evil.

2) No. He's too cartoonish to be evil. Besides, all he wants is some of Peach's cake.

3) Yes

4) I guess, but the Reapers can't really be framed in those terms.

5) Can't comment

6) Can't comment

7) Can't comment, and that's two Final Fantasy villains

8) Nup. Amoral, but no evil. And there was a cake

Anyway, I'll nominate 8:

1) Stolos (Advance Wars)

2) Zanza (Xenoblade)

3) Nergal (Fire Emblem)

4) Ganondorf (Legend of Zelda - yes, I agree with this one)

5) Albert Wesker (Resident Evil)

6) Mephisto (Diablo)

7) Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft, Brood War only)

8) Archimonde (Warcraft)

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Hawki said:
Isn't Kerrigan a more tragic Hamlet figure? Driven insane by betrayal and sacrificed to the Zerg, she hunts down those who wronged her at the cost of not just her humanity, but her sanity and the soul of her loved one?

Also the end of S2 3, does Jim kill himself or did Kerrigan create a clean version of herself specifically for Jim to run off with?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Why is the Illusive Man on the list? He's pro-human, anti-alien like any good human.

My nominee would be Hell from the Doom series because it is literally everything evil. It is not possible to be even more evil.

The Devil from Saints Row 4: Gat out of Hell for the same reason.

Those are the only two I can think to add.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Silentpony said:
Isn't Kerrigan a more tragic Hamlet figure? Driven insane by betrayal and sacrificed to the Zerg, she hunts down those who wronged her at the cost of not just her humanity, but her sanity and the soul of her loved one?

Also the end of S2 3, does Jim kill himself or did Kerrigan create a clean version of herself specifically for Jim to run off with?
Kerrigan as a whole is a tragic figure/anti-hero, hence why I signaled her out as "Brood War Kerrigan," where she's the "Queen ***** of the Universe" and enjoying it. Kerrigan gets a lot of leeway in her personality in that a lot of it is invoked by catalysts rather than developing (e.g. her QoB persona is forced by the Overmind, her persona is altered again after de-infestation, etc.)

As for LotV, it's meant to be down to personal interpretation - my view is that she's indeed there, but bereft of any abilities.

Xan Krieger said:
My nominee would be Hell from the Doom series because it is literally everything evil. It is not possible to be even more evil.
...Hell's a character? 0_0

Heck, you could have at least tried nominating Baphomet or Betruger.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Silentpony said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Silentpony said:

But I thought the town always had something malevolent about it? I mean I know Pyramid head and the other big bads are actually angels of the Lord, but its an evil God they serve.
Well, it's... complicated.

I know Pyramid Head is based off of an executioner from a painting that James saw in a museum, that's based off of a demon/god from the cult. The actions and such from PH was from James' psyche because James, ya know, did some stuff.

I think the town is just tainted because of the history of the town and because of the cult's actions. Dahlia pulled some strings because of her position and stuff she did to Alessa. It's kinda hard to tell now because of how the series was treated and the interpretations that were made. I know Twin Perfect did a thing on the whole history of why the town is as fucked up as it is.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Hawki said:
Silentpony said:

Kerrigan as a whole is a tragic figure/anti-hero, hence why I signaled her out as "Brood War Kerrigan," where she's the "Queen ***** of the Universe" and enjoying it. Kerrigan gets a lot of leeway in her personality in that a lot of it is invoked by catalysts rather than developing (e.g. her QoB persona is forced by the Overmind, her persona is altered again after de-infestation, etc.)

As for LotV, it's meant to be down to personal interpretation - my view is that she's indeed there, but bereft of any abilities.

Xan Krieger said:
...Hell's a character? 0_0

Heck, you could have at least tried nominating Baphomet or Betruger.
The intelligence guiding Hell in Doom, whatever makes deals with people before brutally stabbing them in the back.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Sephiroth is the most overrated video game villain I've ever seen. If you think about it, he's not even the real villain. Jenova is the real villain. Sephiroth is just it's puppet.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Hawki said:
I'll go with that. Kerrigan somehow, through psychic(meaning Magic) powers, super alien ancient tech, and Zerg...goo...made a clean, uninfested and pure copy of herself. That way the Queen can lead the Swarm and Kerrigan can be with the man she loved, both content the other is doing what they love.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Canadamus Prime said:
Sephiroth is the most overrated video game villain I've ever seen. If you think about it, he's not even the real villain. Jenova is the real villain. Sephiroth is just it's puppet.
His big claim to fame is he killed the very first Waifu in human history. Outside of that, he's a 1 winged dork with a stupid sword, bad hair cut, lame abilities and an overall air of erectile dysfunction and bouts of explosive diarrhea.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Silentpony said:
I'll go with that. Kerrigan somehow, through psychic(meaning Magic) powers, super alien ancient tech, and Zerg...goo...made a clean, uninfested and pure copy of herself. That way the Queen can lead the Swarm and Kerrigan can be with the man she loved, both content the other is doing what they love.
Um, no, there's only one Kerrigan. Zagara's leading the Swarm right now. Exactly what happens to Kerrigan after she slays Amon is down to interpretation, but there's definately not two Kerrigans running around. It's explicit within StarCraft: Evolution that no-one knows what happened to Kerrigan and Raynor, and only a few know of Amon's final moments.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Silentpony said:
Canadamus Prime said:
His big claim to fame is he killed the very first Waifu in human history. Outside of that, he's a 1 winged dork with a stupid sword, bad hair cut, lame abilities and an overall air of erectile dysfunction and bouts of explosive diarrhea.
I don't know about the explosive diarrhea, but yeah that about sums it up.