8 of the Most Influential RPGs Ever Made

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
8 of the Most Influential RPGs Ever Made

Here's our list of the eight most influential RPGs ever made!

Read Full Article

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Lol. This is nowhere near the list of most influential rpgs. That one would look like:
Wizardry/Might&Magic
Goldbox
Eye of Beholder
Baldur's Gate/Planescape/Fallout
Gothic/Morrowind
Final Fantasy/Legend of Zelda
Deus Ex/System Shock 2
Diablo (if you consider it RPG; I don't)

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
This is why editors matter, kids.

First, it's spelled 'influential,' not 'influencial.' At least turn on your spell check.

Second, on a site that covers both tabletop and video gaming, 'RPG' on its own is ambiguous. You should have used 'CRPG' in the title at least, if not in the whole article, to establish context.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Rastrelly said:
Lol. This is nowhere near the list of most influential rpgs. That one would look like:
Wizardry/Might&Magic
Goldbox
Eye of Beholder
Fallout
Gothic/Morrowind
Deus Ex/System Shock 2
Wait, how would The Legend of Zelda be considered an RPG, yet Diablo not be?

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
bkd69 said:

First, it's spelled 'influential,' not 'influencial.' At least turn on your spell check.

Second, on a site that covers both tabletop and video gaming, 'RPG' on its own is ambiguous. You should have used 'CRPG' in the title at least, if not in the whole article, to establish context.
1) Before looking closely at my errors, open your wide all-knowing eyes, and see the 'video games' category of the material.
2) Before telling me to stick to website's all-wideness, tell it to the author who picked games in the article, for there is exactly 0 tabletops involved.
[Adds to ignore list]

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Hawki said:
Rastrelly said:
Wizardry/Might&Magic
Goldbox
Eye of Beholder
Fallout
Gothic/Morrowind
Deus Ex/System Shock 2
Wait, how would The Legend of Zelda be considered an RPG, yet Diablo not be?
Within the timeframe when first LoZ came out it could be considered one of the modern jrpg vision precursors. All Diablo invented is form of proper action-RPG with emphasis on 'action'.

Okamisama

Sep 23, 2015
Rastrelly said:
bkd69 said:

1) Before looking closely at my errors, open your wide all-knowing eyes, and see the 'video games' category of the material.
2) Before telling me to stick to website's all-wideness, tell it to the author who picked games in the article, for there is exactly 0 tabletops involved.
[Adds to ignore list]
Not to stick myself in anyone's business... But just because their post was next after yours, doesn't mean it was directed at yours. It's rather obvious he was referring to the author of the post, especially since influential is misspelled right there in the title.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Okamisama said:
Rastrelly said:
bkd69 said:

[Adds to ignore list]
Not to stick myself in anyone's business... But just because their post was next after yours, doesn't mean it was directed at yours. It's rather obvious he was referring to the author of the post, especially since influential is misspelled right there in the title.
Wait, where? In my post it is definitely 'influential', but in the article I never noticed a single instance of 'influential'. Or it was fixed?

And, then, jab is still misdirected - category is still videogames, and the list features a lot of games that are not "cRPG" (unlike my list, which consists of those almost entirely).

Weiler

Feb 6, 2014
Rastrelly said:
bkd69 said:

[Adds to ignore list]
Um... I'm pretty sure the guy was criticizing the thread founder, not you.
...you must be fun to hang around at parties...

Okamisama

Sep 23, 2015
Rastrelly said:
Okamisama said:
Rastrelly said:
bkd69 said:

[Adds to ignore list]
Wait, where? In my post it is definitely 'influential', but in the article I never noticed a single instance of 'influential'. Or it was fixed?

And, then, jab is still misdirected - category is still videogames, and the list features a lot of games that are not "cRPG" (unlike my list, which consists of those almost entirely).
Again, the author. Not you, the very first person on this who wrote the article, along with the title that says "Influencial RPGs Ever Made" right at the very top in big letters. None of what was written was clearly directed at you, considering they mentioned specifically the articles choices.

Weiler

Feb 6, 2014
Rastrelly said:
Okamisama said:
Rastrelly said:
bkd69 said:

[Adds to ignore list]

Did you get drunk this early in the morning? :D

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Yup, I'm an idiot. I still disagree with most of bkd69's points, but I dumbed all the way. So, yes, I beg forgiveness ^^

Stemer

Nov 22, 2011
Rastrelly said:
Wizardry/Might&Magic
Goldbox
Eye of Beholder
Fallout
Gothic/Morrowind
Deus Ex/System Shock 2
Good list, but Ultima Underworld should be on there instead of Deus Ex/System Shock 2, it's the original FPSRPG.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Stemer said:
Rastrelly said:
Wizardry/Might&Magic
Goldbox
Eye of Beholder
Fallout
Gothic/Morrowind
Deus Ex/System Shock 2
Good list, but Ultima Underworld should be on there instead of Deus Ex/System Shock 2, it's the original FPSRPG.
Good point, BTW. At the time I completely missed Ultima series and I tend to forget about it all the time T__T

Kyle Winston

Jul 22, 2013
Influence is relative. For me, Final Fantasy 6 was far more influential than 7 was, mainly because I played 6 sooner and more often than 7. They are quite similar with their dark tone, cast of characters, and both did have moments of levity.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I'm rather disappointed in this list. By rights if something is being listed as influential then it should talk about the influence that the games had on its sequels. Using movies for the sake of example, if we brought up Star Wars then the explanation should be about how it is credited as shaping the Hollywood we know today by pretty much creating the summer blockbuster, kickstarted the special effects industry, created a resurgence in Science Fiction, and pretty much codified the concept of a major film trilogy. We would not, however, bring up the menace of Darth Vader, the roguish charm of Han Solo, or the excitement of the space battles. So too should it be here. While World of Warcraft unquestionably deserves a slot on the list, the reason is not that it was so popular that they actually pulled it from the shelves. It is because it became the gold standard to which every MMO is compared, to the point that it's not uncommon to hear new MMOs hyped as "WoW-slayers" and the people hyping it generally being disappointed when it turns out that those games feel too much like WoW does and cannot dethrone it. Influence is the focus, not why we find them enjoyable.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
n0e said:
The Elder Scrolls games gave you a perspective that other RPGs didn't, the first person view.
Hey, that's not true! Several RPGs (like Eye of the Beholder and Might and Magic series) already experimented with first-person view long before TES:Arena was first released.