8 of the Most Influential RPGs Ever Made

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Fcbook Del Orto said:
The fallout page didn't load. Anyone with the same problem?
Not that it wasn't a great game, but what did Fallout influence?

OT: A middling list. While I agree that I should have at least HEARD of all the most influential RPGs of the time, there's an awful lot of overlap, especially for the time period of around 2000. The NES and beyond had some pretty innovative titles for their day, ones you wouldn't wholly say are obscure.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
No Fallout, Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, or System Shock? Not even Ultima or Wizardry, series from the 80's whose innovations have had a hand in shaping almost every video game RPG since? Hell, Ultima Underworld should get a name drop at the very least considering it's the first (or at the very least one of the first) real-time first-person RPG. And why do KotOR and Mass Effect get their own separate pages considering one is a direct precursor to the other?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
"One cannot deny the massive impact that World of Warcraft had on the video game industry"

Is this meant to be a positive? The impact it had made me look at many MMO's after as cheap clones, because that's what they roughly were, trying to appeal to a similar audience by copying bits and pieces. Even the other big titles some people referred to as 'WoW Killers' were pathetic.

If anything it had a damaging impact, and even my favourite MMO, Lineage 2, was altered to be a lot like WoW. So instead of being it's own thing, it also became a shitty version of WoW. Yeah, I loved that influence.

And don't forgot they also charged for mounts and other shit, you know, within a full priced game that you also paid for monthly. Also again, each expansion wasn't exactly cheap when they were first released either.

I'm sorry, but I can't see anything positive about it. I thought some of raid idea's were clever, but it definitely wasn't the first MMO to have those.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Gottesstrafe said:
No Fallout, Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, or System Shock? Not even Ultima or Wizardry, series from the 80's whose innovations have had a hand in shaping almost every video game RPG since? Hell, Ultima Underworld should get a name drop at the very least considering it's the first (or at the very least one of the first) real-time first-person RPG. And why do KotOR and Mass Effect get their own separate pages considering one is a direct precursor to the other?
Yeah, and Ultima 7 pioneered tons of the elements used by isometric games like Baldurs Gate and Fallout, and continued with the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series to this day. And used by Ultima Underground, yes. I've always considered Ultima 7 THE most influential RPG.

Maybe even more important than Dragon Warrior, which brought the JRPG to the largest console of it's day and popularized it for an American audience. Without Nintendo Power's giveaway and Dragon Warrior, JRPG's in general and specifically Final Fantasy may never have had more than a tiny niche appeal in the US.