8 Old Board Games That are Still Good

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Old Board Games That are Still Good

Some of the best parts of life have to be playing a board game with your family or friends. So take a seat and let the nostalgia flow over you like the force.

Read Full Article

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
Connect 4: Solved. If you go first, you should auto-win
Hungry Hungry Hippos: Wasn't fun back then. Fun idea, no one ever quite knew how to make a good game of it other than throwing all the marbles in, smacking the hippos for 15-20 seconds, then counting to see who won. And then that one hippo always broke.
Mouse Trap: Now I know this is a lie. No one ever had a working copy of this as a kid. No one. Many didn't even get copies with all the pieces. Again, great concept, crap construction, and crap game around it.

The rest....I guess, sure. Want actual fun with board games? Check out boardgamegeek to see what's been going on for.....conservatively, I'll say about 19 years now.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
... How was Monopoly not there? Game of Life? Chess, Checkers?

Am I missing something? Was the Battleship movie successful...

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Shouldn't chess, perhaps the most famous and recognizable board game ever, be on here? Or how about monopoly, perhaps the most famous modern board game?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I'm sorry, but I told myself before I looked at the list I would shank an orphan if Candy Land wasn't on it.

...I have to fill out some false adoption papers now.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
yeah.. you can go ahead and put me on the side that this list short sighted. it had a few good ones, othello, mahjong, maybe even parcheesi. but the lack of chess is just a complete disgrace. and there many other much more classic and/or popular board games to have made...

actually, never mind. now that i look more closely, my objections would only be relevant to a "top #" list, but it turns out this is not a top # list, but a general list of 8 old board games the author finds nostalgic in no particular order.. very well, you may proceed.

i'll just move along now.. >.>

EdHaag

Jun 15, 2011
TKretts3 said:
Or how about monopoly, perhaps the most famous modern board game?
The topic is old board games that are STILL GOOD. Monopoly isn't, and has never been, good. I'm surprised there wasn't a classic wargame or two on there though. Axis & Allies, perhaps, or even Risk.

I'd probably choose Diplomacy myself, although that's probably a bit too far out there for the mass market.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Cracked did this so much better I am driven to post.
6 Board Games That Ruined It for Everyone [http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-board-games-that-ruined-it-everyone/]

I suspect Hungry Hungry Hippos would be there except that who considers that a board game!?

Tragically, the beautiful "Mousetrap Never Works" music video seems to have been removed from Youtube. A sad loss.

EdHaag

Jun 15, 2011
TKretts3 said:
EdHaag said:
TKretts3 said:
The topic is old board games that are STILL GOOD.
Exactly why Monopoly and Chess deserve spots.
Chess is a classic, always will be, and will never die. It totally deserves to be on the list.

Monopoly though? Here's how every game of Monopoly I've ever played has ended up: One player manages to snag a color group though a series of lucky die rolls. He or she has enough cash to put down a couple houses on said group, and the rest of the players begin landing on them just enough to keep their cash low enough so that they can't buy properties and/or improvements of their own. Slowly, the player with the group gets enough money to finally get up to hotel status, and once that happens, the rest of the players hit that group a couple more times, and the game's over.

The basic problem is that once you get to the point where you're keeping others from improving, the game's done. They might make it around the board 3 or 4 times in a row without hitting your supergroup, but they will eventually hit it and lose all the gains they've made. But the game doesn't actually END at that point. No, it keeps going until everyone else is bankrupt. You can always tell who's going to win a game of Monopoly within the first 45 minutes or so, but the game never stops until another hour and a half has gone by. It's an exercise in tedium.

Ed_Fox

Jan 27, 2010
They're all pretty 'safe' choices, Although i'm not too sure about 'hungry hungry hippos'. I would have included 'Diplomacy', a great game that you can lose entire weekends to.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Operation is a cruel cruel experience. Years of caffeine and a totally unrelated sleep disorder have made me entirely too shaky to play this game properly.

Hungry Hungry Hippos is a terrible game though. When I was little all it did was make a lot of noise an hurl marbles all over the place before breaking. The only board game that malfunctioned ore than this was Mouse Trap.

Want to say I've always wanted to learn mahjong. Seeing rows of those colorful painted tiles is alluring but oddly confusing. Games like Yakuza 3 have helped teach me more about other games, but regretfully the one I was looking forward to learning to play was the one they cut from the game (I love the shit out of Hanafuda though!).

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
Hungry Hungry Hippos?? It's a travesty that Scrabble isn't on this list.

Is Connect Four even a board game?

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
EdHaag said:
TKretts3 said:
EdHaag said:
TKretts3 said:
The topic is old board games that are STILL GOOD.
Exactly why Monopoly and Chess deserve spots.
Chess is a classic, always will be, and will never die. It totally deserves to be on the list.

Monopoly though? Here's how every game of Monopoly I've ever played has ended up: One player manages to snag a color group though a series of lucky die rolls. He or she has enough cash to put down a couple houses on said group, and the rest of the players begin landing on them just enough to keep their cash low enough so that they can't buy properties and/or improvements of their own. Slowly, the player with the group gets enough money to finally get up to hotel status, and once that happens, the rest of the players hit that group a couple more times, and the game's over.

The basic problem is that once you get to the point where you're keeping others from improving, the game's done. They might make it around the board 3 or 4 times in a row without hitting your supergroup, but they will eventually hit it and lose all the gains they've made. But the game doesn't actually END at that point. No, it keeps going until everyone else is bankrupt. You can always tell who's going to win a game of Monopoly within the first 45 minutes or so, but the game never stops until another hour and a half has gone by. It's an exercise in tedium.
You say that's a problem?

Have you ever played a game where everyone tried to get the same groups, and so by the time all of the properties had been bought, no-one had a full colour group?

Have you ever tried to stay up for near on 1000 hours just waiting for someone to pass out so that you can steal their cards and finally put an end to this?

Seriously, so many times this happens and yet NO-ONE wants to compromise with others. Because then they get a power group and so will obviously win. It goes on and on...

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
I forgot my favorite commentary on Monopoly:
http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=1944

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
What, no Payday, no Game of Life, Chess, Checkers or Monopoly, what about Cluedo? I've never even heard of Parcheesy or Othello (though it does look similar to a game i've played, but can't remember the name of). That list seems a little off to me.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
You tease me with Settlers on the Escapist's front page, and you don't deliver? Shame on you, Schuyler. Shame on you.