8 Pokémon Games You Really Should Play

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Guilion said:
Yeah, I've played all of these and the funny thing is.... My two favorite Pokémon games are spin-offs: Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue team and XD: Gale of Darkness.
Seconded, both games are incredibly awesome in so many ways that they make the main Pokemon games look like crap in comparison. It's really sad that neither got the sales needed to carry over their story focus and mechanics over to the main games.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I will admit, Black 2 is the only Pokemon game I didn't finish as in defeat the Elite 4. I don't know why thougt since I wasn't compell enough to played all the way through (I stopped after capturing Volcarona in that cave) and there were other games that I wanted to played when that game came out so I played those instead.

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
I think it's all agreed this list is an incredible disappointment.
lets all make our own! show Mr Dievendorf what a real gallery is!

1. Pokemon stadium series - first time we got to see Pokemon in 3d and a surprisingly well Balanced arena that allows you to do battle with all the original fisrt and second gen Pokemon without the trouble of filling the pokedex and leveling them all up to 100.

2. Pokemon showdown - amazingly built competitive battle simulator that takes the ease of battling for stadium and applies it to the modern competitive model with online matchmaking and random battles.

3. Pokemon conquest - Tactical strategy Pokemon, for anyone who just wants to play fire emblem and Pokemon blended into small scale battle-battles

4. Twitch plays Pokemon - The Pokemon based politics and religion simulator. Join a cult based hive-mind theocracy. it's fun!

5. Pokemon tower defense - the Hammiest silliest storyline over the top of a very good tower defense game

6. Pokemon pinball - It barely makes sense to blend these two nobody asked for it, and I hope to god nobody takes it away.

7. Pokemon (alpha) sapphire, (omega) ruby and (???) emerald - Because it feels wrong to not put this game on the list and then go spend several hours playing it, singing along to the trumpets, holding my breath while sneaking, and generally going back to 2003.

8. Pokemon snap - Pokemon snap.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Methodia Chicken said:
3. Pokemon conquest - Tactical strategy Pokemon, for anyone who just wants to play fire emblem and Pokemon blended into small scale battle-battles
I keep forgetting that this is a thing. I need to buy it.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
How about a list of 8 things that happen on EVERY game on the list?

1) You?re a kid.
2) You meet a professor.
3) You get to choose between a Fire, Grass, or Water starting Pokemon.
4) You get a rival that chooses the dominate Pokemon.
5) You get a Pokedex.
6) You travel around the region collecting 8 badges.
7) You defeat some kind of evil band of criminals.
8) You defeat the elite 4 and the champion to win the game.

Yay for Pokemon games, or rather, the same exact game over and over again. Seriously, it?s the same damn game every time, just with different wallpaper. Hell, in some cases it IS the exact same game. Pokemon Silver vs. Pokemon Soul Silver? Lol!

Edit: Ok, so Silver and Gold have a legitimate claim for being remade considering none of the original copies of the game actually work anymore. That is, unless someone actually decided to do surgery on the cartridge and replace the battery. I know my copy of silver doesn?t work anymore because the stupid battery died...

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Another one of his god damn worthless 8 ____ articles....

Red/Blue are worth playing to see where it started, but otherwise you'd be kinda ridiculous not to play Fire/Leaf instead.

Yellow is an interesting curiosity, but not really a "must-play" if you've already played Red/Blue, and it'd be a step backwards from Fire/Leaf.

Gold/Silver are fantastic, wit there's really no reason not to just play Heart/Soul instead.

Crystal I can't comment on, since I've never played it, but I have to imagine it's analogous to Yellow in being a redundant downgrade to Heart/Soul.

Ruby and Sapphire are great, and given that Alpha/Omega are a remake in a totally different style, I can see them being still totally worth playing.
But as I understand it, Emerald is just a better Ruby/Sapphire, so THAT is the one to play.

Diamond/Pearl, sure.
(unsure of Platinum's relevance)

Black/White, sure.

B2/W2, sure.

How are X/Y not on this list????

Alpha/Omega, sure.

-

The list SHOULD be:
1. Red/Blue OR Fire/Leaf
2. Heart/Soul
3. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
4. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
5. Black/White
6. Black2/White2
7. X/Y
8. Alpha/Omega

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Steve Waltz said:

Actually, In Pokemon Yellow you start with a Pikachu (electric) and your rival get's an Eevee (normal). So BOO, boo I say. This list is terrible and ruined my life! (ok, sorry I'm being facetious)

OT: What's next? A list of 8 must play Megaman games that consists of Megaman 1-8?

Shouldn't these lists bring attention to games that someone might not have heard of? I'd go on, but I don't want to risk spending more time thinking about this than the person who wrote the article.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I've played 'em all. I've been to 'em all. I've been to Kanto, Johto, Ancho, Habanero, Pablano, Antonio Banderas.

I've swung 'em all, sister. Swung with the best!

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Colour Scientist said:
Methodia Chicken said:
What a wonderful confirmation that. yes, the Pokemon games do exist and in linear order too.
would be a shame if someone made a gallery illustrating any of the creative spinoffs that fall outside the main series,
that could get confusing.
They didn't even mention the best one.

I still have this in a drawer somewhere. XD
Holy shit. Thanks for that Nostalgia trip, buddy. No wonder I couldn't remember the name of that thing. Apparently it was creatively titled 'Poke Ball'

But yeah, No mystery dungeon, conquest, or even Pokemon Pinball? How about Pokemon Sorry or Pokemon Monopoly, which I always thought would be better titled Pokemonopoly. And I honestly can't see the justification for recommending both Ruby and Omega Ruby, when the latter is better in pretty much every way imaginable.

In a side note, has anyone else played with a gulpin in Pokemon-amie? It's adorable how he eats any food in one bite.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
The list articles with each entry being on a separate page are hard enough to stomach when the lists are informative and varied. This was just listing off all the main series games with a wikipedia like blurb.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Redlin5 said:
I've played 'em all. I've been to 'em all. I've been to Kanto, Johto, Ancho, Habanero, Pablano, Antonio Banderas.

Wow, that made me laugh way too hard.

OT: I am disappointed with the lack of spinoff games. I still have Snap, Stadium, Stadium 2, and Colliseum sitting on my game shelf.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
"8 Pokemon Games You Really Should Play"

tl;dr Every Pokemon game in the main series.

10. Pokemon Ranger
9. Pokemon Rumble (Wiiware)
8. Pokemon Snap
7. Pokemon Stadium
6. Pokemon Pinball
5. Pokemon Trozei
4. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
3. Pokemon Traiding Card Game (GameBoy version)
2. Pokemon Colesseum / Pokemon XD
1. Pokemon Conquest

Dishonorable Mention: Hey, you! Pikachu!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Steve Waltz said:

1) You?re a kid.
2) You meet a professor.
5) You get a Pokedex.
6) You travel around the region collecting 8 badges.
7) You defeat some kind of evil band of criminals.
8) You defeat the elite 4 and the champion to win the game.

Yay for Pokemon games, or rather, the same exact game over and over again. Seriously, it?s the same damn game every time, just with different wallpaper. Hell, in some cases it IS the exact same game. Pokemon Silver vs. Pokemon Soul Silver? Lol!

Edit: Ok, so Silver and Gold have a legitimate claim for being remade considering none of the original copies of the game actually work anymore. That is, unless someone actually decided to do surgery on the cartridge and replace the battery. I know my copy of silver doesn?t work anymore because the stupid battery died...
I liked the variation of #4 in Black/White and X/Y, where you have 2 rivals and each one chooses the Pokemons you didn't choose. And one thing, if you call this list the exact game over and over again, you are pretty much ignoring the mini-games and events (which usually are different in each game), and the changes in mechanics.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Redlin5 said:

I see what you did there. Of course, I loved that vid. It's about pokemon, people should've watched it. But I don't wanna explain it.