8 Pokemon Go Players Who Deserve a Darwin Award

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014

It takes a special kind of someone to be a nominee for a Darwin Award. Here's 8 examples of how to get nominated!

Read Full Article

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Additional note to Story 2: the article I read indicated that the mother believed the game actually possessed her daughter...as in demonically possessed her...and that's why she went into traffic. :p

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Additional note to Story 2: the article I read indicated that the mother believed the game actually possessed her daughter...as in demonically possessed her...and that's why she went into traffic. :p
...as opposed to her just being plain stupid. Nope that couldn't possibly be it. /sarcasm

Novus Ultimus

Oct 14, 2010
To qualify for a Darwin Award, you would have to die. So this is just a list of silly people doing silly stuff.

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
One technicality: people are not eligible for Darwin Awards until they are adults as teenage minds often don't act rationally even for individuals who will eventually grow up to be intelligent, reasonable beings. So a couple of those stories would not count, even if they did result in death or sterilization.

Kyle Winston

Jul 22, 2013
A third of these were drivers...

Sigh... remember when the worst thing drivers could do was drink and drive...

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Novus Ultimus said:
To qualify for a Darwin Award, you would have to die. So this is just a list of silly people doing silly stuff.
They have a sizeable 'Honorable Mentions' - category, where most of these people would fit right in.

The hit-and-run victims still don't count, though, as they got hurt because of other people being assholes.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Novus Ultimus said:
Not quite.

In order to win a Darwin Award, you have to be removed from the gene pool. If your stunt took away your ability to reproduce, you can "win" one and still be alive.

Novus Ultimus

Oct 14, 2010
SlumlordThanatos said:
Novus Ultimus said:
Not quite.

In order to win a Darwin Award, you have to be removed from the gene pool. If your stunt took away your ability to reproduce, you can "win" one and still be alive.
I stand corrected. Still, it seems none of these people qualify. Some of them might be worthy of an honorable mention though.

Tonjac

Jan 27, 2010
What the actual F? Is this what this website have been reduced to?

"8 pokemon go players who deserve to die". Including a teenager being unaware of her surroundings, and a pregnant woman who was the victim of a hit and run.

Escapist, you used to have so much good content, but now you allow something like this? Thats down right poor taste.

I hope you are ashamed, and frankly, that you issue an apology for poor taste and editorial choices,

K12

Dec 28, 2012
None of these people would have been removed from the gene pool so none of them deserve Darwin awards.

The inclusion of no. 6 seems like a really cruel thing to include. She (and her premature caesarean born baby) were injured due to somebody else's stupidity not her own, so not only would it not technically qualify under the Darwin awards criteria, it doesn't even follow them in spirit.

Basically don't just stick "Darwin Award" on to random stories were something bad happens. Darwin Award stories are supposed to be funny and there's a sense that the victims "deserve" what happened to them, basically bad-taste done right.

There's not an ounce of dark humour or justifiable schadenfreude in a story about an innocent pregnant women getting run down through no fault of her own and then needing emergency surgery to stop her unborn baby from dying. If her death in that situation could have qualified for a Darwin award then so could the victims of the shootings in Nice, Paris, Orlando and Munich (fuck me, we've had a lot of those recently).

Escapist this is for you.

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
When Pokemon Go came out, I actually said "I predict that someone is going get run over pretty soon because they see a pokemon in the middle of the street." I was joking of course, and I actually did reference that one might qualify for the Darwin awards.

Uncle Comrade

Feb 28, 2008
K12 said:
The inclusion of no. 6 seems like a really cruel thing to include. She (and her premature caesarean born baby) were injured due to somebody else's stupidity not her own, so not only would it not technically qualify under the Darwin awards criteria, it doesn't even follow them in spirit.

Basically don't just stick "Darwin Award" on to random stories were something bad happens. Darwin Award stories are supposed to be funny and there's a sense that the victims "deserve" what happened to them, basically bad-taste done right.

There's not an ounce of dark humour or justifiable schadenfreude in a story about an innocent pregnant women getting run down through no fault of her own and then needing emergency surgery to stop her unborn baby from dying. If her death in that situation could have qualified for a Darwin award then so could the victims of the shootings in Nice, Paris, Orlando and Munich (fuck me, we've had a lot of those recently).
To add to this, I think what annoys me the most is the fact that she was playing Pokemon Go is only tangentially related to the story. With all the other stories it can be argued that the incident was directly caused by people playing the game, but in this case what happened is her sister yelled at the van driver, who responded by quickly backing up, causing him to hit the pregnant girl, who happened to be playing Pokemon Go at the time. If she'd been, let's say, eating a sandwich instead, people wouldn't be saying "sandwich eater rushed to hospital after hit and run". The Pokemon GO aspect just seems very shoehorned in.

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
n0e said:

It takes a special kind of someone to be a nominee for a Darwin Award. Here's 8 examples of how to get nominated!

Read Full Article
Ah, you Americans are just adorable; don't ever stop.

I haven't laughed this hard in days.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Caramel Frappe said:
The story that got to me was the pregnant lady. That's seriously a rough deal to be in .. every other story made me chuckle, sort of.
That said, the app warns you to check your surroundings and yet people will ignore it simply because they're in denial of consequences.
Both stories of the hit-and-run drivers pissed me off so much; especially the one about the pregnant woman. They both deserve 25 to life for the stunt they pulled. Had any of those pedestrians actually died, the drivers would be even more screwed.

Adamantium93 said:
One technicality: people are not eligible for Darwin Awards until they are adults as teenage minds often don't act rationally even for individuals who will eventually grow up to be intelligent, reasonable beings. So a couple of those stories would not count, even if they did result in death or sterilization.
When I was a teen, I knew others who while stupid, would never ever cross in to a busy four lane street. Some notion of common sense has to happen no matter the age. With some exceptions here and there, if you are 15 or older and you know you're not supposed to go in to four lanes of traffic with speeding cars, but do it anyways over a fucking mobile app; yeah, you get the Darwin Awards in my book.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I know at least two of these have shown up on What The Fuck Is Wrong With You, so this comes as no surprise to me.