8 Post-Apocalyptic Games Worth Playing

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
8 Post-Apocalyptic Games Worth Playing

Enjoy the post-apocalyptic genre? Here are 8 games that will keep you entertained for hours.

Read Full Article

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Division was a good Post apocalyptic game? Dafuq? It was terrible! It had bullet spongy enemies, terrible story, godawful multiplayer, buggy as all hell, and the Tom Clancy title did nothing but hurt the game's credibility even more.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Timedraven 117 said:
and the Tom Clancy title did nothing but hurt the game's credibility even more.
The man's been dead for nearly four years, you would think they would stop slapping his name on every piece of shit Ubisoft puts out. But what do I know?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Ironman126 said:
Timedraven 117 said:
and the Tom Clancy title did nothing but hurt the game's credibility even more.
The man's been dead for nearly four years, you would think they would stop slapping his name on every piece of shit Ubisoft puts out. But what do I know?
His name is a brand, which is why they bought the rights to use it.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
No Wasteland 2? But you did include The Division. What an odd choice.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Kreett said:
Dying Light had a left for dead screenshot, what?
Yeah, I also find it a bit odd.

In addition

Metro 2033 & Last Light Redux

The Russians seem to have a knack for creating really good post-apocalyptic games.
Both are developed by 4A Games which is an Ukrainian developer.

Another great post-apoc series from those crazy Ruskies
The game is developed by another Ukrainian developer - GSC Game World.

I don't know if that's supposed to be some cheap political commentary or not.

Anyway, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is not post-apocalyptic - the entire world is intact, it's just the Zone around Chernobyl that is incredibly dangerous. Post-disaster, perhaps but it is not an apocalypse.

I've not played Dying Light and I've not looked into it but from the description in the article, it sounds like it's also not post-apocalyptic but just affects one area rather than the world.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Um so not to be that guy, but did you just toss together a list of the first 8 semi-post-apocalyptic games that came to mind? About half of these I wouldn't recommend at all...

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
STALKER was developed by GSC Game World - a studio from Kyiv, Ukraine.

So it is not from "russkies".

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Zontar said:
His name is a brand, which is why they bought the rights to use it.
I'm well aware of that, but normally when one applies a brand to something, it fits the brand. You might as well name something Tom Clancy's Rocksmith 2017 for the amount of sense it makes slapping his name on The Division. "Tom Clancy" doesn't add anything to the title and, in a lot of ways, I imagine that The Division came as a shock to long-time fans of games like Rainbow 6.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
DoPo said:
Kreett said:
The Russians seem to have a knack for creating really good post-apocalyptic games.
Both are developed by 4A Games which is an Ukrainian developer.

Another great post-apoc series from those crazy Ruskies
The game is developed by another Ukrainian developer - GSC Game World.

I don't know if that's supposed to be some cheap political commentary or not.
Just a very common mistake, I'd assume.
Now to be fair, both teams have a fair number of Russians on them as well as Ukrainians. But yeah, both are Ukraine-based studios, so those games are Ukrainain.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
RealRT said:
Just a very common mistake, I'd assume.
It might be in casual context but I would hold an official article to higher standards. This isn't something you mention offhand while chatting to your buddies, it's a written piece of work that is presented to the world. Moreover, verifying the information takes literally seconds.

Matey

Jun 25, 2008
Picking entire series for some entries and then picking only Fallout 4 and praising Bethesda and ignoring the only good Fallout games (1, 2 & Tactics). I am sad.

Oh, I would put The Age of Decadence on the list for sure.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
A list where I've finished all the games! (except the Division) Wow! Makes me realize how many post-apocalyptic type games I play. And zombie games, I guess. Though Fallout is the most true post-apocalyptic in the sense of a word, the world nuking itself into rubble, and whatever is left of the human race trying to pick through a living. Zombie/fungus outbreak works as well, and adds a different threat and grimness to the whole situations.

But yeah, I would have mentioned the previous games too, imma let chu finish but Fallout Tactics was the greatest Fallout of all time (jk jk, it was fucking good tho)

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Matey said:
Picking entire series for some entries and then picking only Fallout 4 and praising Bethesda and ignoring the only good Fallout games (1, 2 & Tactics). I am sad.

I'd say 1,2 and Vegas, for Vegas was actually the real Fallout 3, heavily based on lost Van Buren project, while FT was significantly deviating from Fallout canon.

Also, there were such fine titles as Wasteland 2, The Fall, Underrail, I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream, and lost gems, like Superhero League of Hoboken. But no, we get sum pop shite.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Rastrelly said:
Matey said:

I'd say 1,2 and Vegas, for Vegas was actually the real Fallout 3, heavily based on lost Van Buren project, while FT was significantly deviating from Fallout canon.

Also, there were such fine titles as Wasteland 2, The Fall, Underrail, I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream, and lost gems, like Superhero League of Hoboken. But no, we get sum pop shite.
These articles are basically clickbait. As you can see, they are spread out over several pages, each number getting their own page. This is to maximize the adds that can be displayed.
And as the forums also have adds, I wouldn't put it past creators of clickbait to actually make faulty statements or just intentionally bad choices in those lists so that people complain on the forums. It's just more add money.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
JenSeven said:
Rastrelly said:
Matey said:

These articles are basically clickbait. As you can see, they are spread out over several pages, each number getting their own page. This is to maximize the adds that can be displayed.
And as the forums also have adds, I wouldn't put it past creators of clickbait to actually make faulty statements or just intentionally bad choices in those lists so that people complain on the forums. It's just more add money.
Yes, but as a journalist outlet shouldn't Escapist have some ethical norms behind their materials?

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Rastrelly said:
JenSeven said:
Rastrelly said:
Matey said:

Yes, but as a journalist outlet shouldn't Escapist have some ethical norms behind their materials?
Well, if it's not due to a lack of journalistic integrity, then there are only a few other reasons remaining on why these lists exist and are such a shambles.
I will not put down those reasons here, as they are definitely not flattering to the makers of these lists and could potentially earn me a warning.