8 Reasons Why Roguelikes Will Make You Beg For More

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Reasons Why Roguelikes Will Make You Beg For More

A great roguelike keeps you coming back for more, and we can't put these eight games down.

Read Full Article

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Rogue Legacy is my favorite on this list.
I've sunk more than I'd care to admit in this game.

Also:
Not surprised Baroque didn't make the list.
I fucking LOVE this game, but it seems like most folks have forgotten about it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
No, no they don't. I had enough of that crap in games when I was growing up. The perma-death mechanic belongs in the 90s, where it died.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I was hooked on FTL for a good while, but the odds are stacked so highly against you that succeeding even 10% of runs is excellent. Well for me at least, it's tough as hell. Maybe once you unlock the better ships and stuff it would get easier, but it's a hell of a grind at those success rates.

I also played Rogue Legacy a bit, I'm not sure why it gets as much praise as it does though. Game is fine 'n all, but the controls just weren't responsive enough for the kind of game it is.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
JohnnyDelRay said:
I also played Rogue Legacy a bit, I'm not sure why it gets as much praise as it does though. Game is fine 'n all, but the controls just weren't responsive enough for the kind of game it is.
Did you use a controller?

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Saelune said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
I did actually, a wired 360. But the mid air control, timing of the slashes, all seemed kinda off. And given the nature of the game (well it's a roguelike), was very frustrating getting this down.

Even more frustrating was around a similar time, I had tried a mobile game, Sword of Xolan I think it was, which responded MUCH better. And that was on a freaking touch screen phone. So yeah, that was annoying, since Rogue Legacy is much more interesting in nature.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
JohnnyDelRay said:
Saelune said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
I did actually, a wired 360. But the mid air control, timing of the slashes, all seemed kinda off. And given the nature of the game (well it's a roguelike), was very frustrating getting this down.

Even more frustrating was around a similar time, I had tried a mobile game, Sword of Xolan I think it was, which responded MUCH better. And that was on a freaking touch screen phone. So yeah, that was annoying, since Rogue Legacy is much more interesting in nature.
Dunno. Maybe it was a technical issue you had. Maybe it just feels off to you. I love it, and still go back to it when Im bored. I find it fairly precise.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Saelune said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
Saelune said:
JohnnyDelRay said:

Dunno. Maybe it was a technical issue you had. Maybe it just feels off to you. I love it, and still go back to it when Im bored. I find it fairly precise.
Yeah, I considered that. Game's good enough to warrant another crack, really. On the laptop while I'm away on holidays perhaps, just to see whether it was my desktop or just me.

SoliterDan

Jun 27, 2017
With the exception of NetHACK (and maybe Dungeons of Dredmor), those. Are. Not. Rogue. Likes
Goddammit

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Another example of what I thought to be a fun Rogue Like game is;

[HEADING=2]Let It Die[/HEADING]​

It has a bit of a Dark Souls-esque style of playing, you run around a dungeon, beating up enemies, taking their gear, equipping it, fighting with L2 and R2, you can switch between weapons using the D-Pad button, it has Stamina management. And it has a goofy touch to it all. A fun game to jump into for an hour or so every night.

The game does have a Micro Transaction system to it, but it isn't intrusive and doesn't obstruct gameplay; when you die you can pay a few cents to keep on playing, or accept the death of your character and reset as any Rogue Like.

The game is a Free To Play game on PS4, so everyone who has a PS4 can try it out.

The guys over at Extra Credits probably did a better job of talking about the game than I just did, so here is a segment of them on the game;
( If I can't figure out how to make the video start at a certain time, it starts at 47 seconds )

Lodum

Jul 30, 2012
Tanis said:
Also:
Not surprised Baroque didn't make the list.
I fucking LOVE this game, but it seems like most folks have forgotten about it.
Yeah, should put a lot of emphasis on the "not surprised" part. I had to look it up, and it's a Sega Saturn / PS1 game ported to the PS2 and Wii (nearly 10 years ago) and was most recently ported to iOS 5 years ago? It doesn't even look like it reviewed that well, either, so... yeah, I'm not exactly surprised they didn't mention it.

I mean, the whole gallery could be summed up as "here are 8 really popular rogue-likes", not exactly where I'd expect to find something so niche-y.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I gave Spelunkie several hours the other day and I can not say I had a particularly good time. I will never accuse it of being a bad game, but when you can spend several hours playing a game and come away from it feeling like you didn't do jack shit with that time that's not good. Until someone can guarantee that I can pick up the game again and not go away with that same feeling I don't think I'll be touching it again.