8 Stanley Kubrick Films You Must See

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Stanley Kubrick Films You Must See

The classic film Dr. Strangelove: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb was released on this day in 1964. To celebrate its arrival into this world we give you a gallery of some of the best films by its director, Stanley Kubrick. Viddy well my droogs.

Read Full Article

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
When I saw, "Stanley Kubrick Films You Must See," my response was pretty much, "All of them". That's basically what this list is though, right? Pre-The Killing stuff and Spartacus are missing.

Oh, Lolita is missing. That one's great too if you ignore the existance of the novel, which is probably worth doing with any Kubrick film.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Honestly, not terribly thrilled with 2001. Saw it in a film class, where I watched it alongside Rashomon and French films with really pretentious editing, and even in that context I thought it was overblown. Any film that has literally fifteen minutes of just flashing colors (that don't form any kind of coherent picture) and a noise that's like tv static pitch corrected into a much lower register is wasting your time.

I don't think I've seen any other Kubrick films, though. Seen clips and his cinematography looks excellent, but I've never had a chance to actually see whole movies.

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
Clovus said:
When I saw, "Stanley Kubrick Films You Must See," my response was pretty much, "All of them". That's basically what this list is though, right? Pre-The Killing stuff and Spartacus are missing.

Oh, Lolita is missing. That one's great too if you ignore the existance of the novel, which is probably worth doing with any Kubrick film.
Of his feature films we left out Fear and Desire, Killer's Kiss, Spartacus, Lolita and Dr. Strangelove: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

With the film for Lolita he actually got Nabokov to write the script but ended up only using about 20% of it.

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
Sgt. Sykes said:
BTW Kubrick didn't develop the lens for Barry Lyndon, they were designed and made by Zeiss to Kubrick's specifications for NASA (just looked it up). Kubrick however had some very rare and precious cameras modified to use those lenses.
Nice sleuthing. Color me corrected.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Eyes Wide Shut is probably still one of my absolute favourite movies alongside Bad Lands and Apocalypse Now. But i like most Kubrick films, EWS, Paths Of Glory, Spartacus, Strangelove and Full Metal Jacket are orobably my favourites. I didn't particularily care for The Killing though, i've seen better heist/noir movies.

(This Game Of War commercial has got to stop, it keeps opening the App Store, it's bloody annoying!).

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
BTW Kubrick didn't develop the lens for Barry Lyndon, they were designed and made by Zeiss to Kubrick's specifications for NASA (just looked it up). Kubrick however had some very rare and precious cameras modified to use those lenses.
This guy knows the score. Barry Lyndon is just an inspiring film to watch if you are interested in cinematography. People say it's boring. Not for me, every shot was something to behold. Full story behind him getting his hand on those lenses is very funny. apparently they are used more for special effect work and he bought 2 of them from the studio. Later on a guy who knew their real value said that they were priceless, one of a kind lenses and theta they were crazy to sell them. Their loss was our gain.

I recently went on a Kubrick binge. every one of his films is worth watching. If you like them or not, you cannot dispute the craft

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
Funny thing about this list, there are only like 14 features films that Kubrick did. 8 "must sees" might as well be "go watch all his films".

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Paths of Glory is the most underrated of Kubrick's films in my opinion. Seriously, go see it, it's even less of a traditional war film than Full Metal Jacket.

Also, is it just me or is the link to the comments section missing from the bottom of the list?