8 Superhero Video Games that Don't Suck

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Superhero Video Games that Don't Suck

These eight games make you feel like a superhero.

Read Full Article

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
There was that PS1 Spider-Man game that was kind of fun.

Superman Death/Return (SNES) was a solid side scrolling beat-em-up.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - the game that was far better than the movie. It should be on every superhero games list.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
I find it very interesting you put Arkham Asylum and City on the list, but not Arkham Knight.

...which I greatly appreciate, I do not care for the third game in that trilogy (not counting Origins.)

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Regarding Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, my friends are in the FGC and maintain that, while it is a very fun game, as a competitive fighting game, it's really shit thanks to poor balancing and infinite combos.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Spider-Man 2 screenshot is from the PC version of the game which is completely different from the console versions and DOES suck.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Look, I get that nostalgia is high for the Spider-Man 2 because was the first open world Spider-Man game ever and it did a ton of things right, but since then just about every open world Spider-Man game except perhaps for it's direct successor Spider-Man 3 did everything Spider-Man 2 does and did it better. All the games had a decent enough story, but Ultimate Spider-Man had all the same mechanics, a new artstyle fitting the Ultimates universe, and a second evil protagonist to go through the game with. Web of Shadows had smoother movement and faster paced combat with techniques divided into red suit and black suit and a Hero/Villain system to give the game replayability. Amazing Spider-Man took the Batman Arkham games combat and stealth systems and adapted it to Spider-Man, creating an extremely fast smooth combat and stealth system very appropriate to Spider-Man with a load of interesting and thus finite side missions. Amazing Spider-Man 2 took a step back though, due to it's badly implemented Hero/Menace mechanic and less fluid web swinging with repetitive missions, but overall it still did it's combat better than Spider-Man 2 did and it had the conversation system to make the story better.

I don't know, I'm just so SICK of hearing Spider-Man 2 getting the top spot out of all Spider-Man games all the time despite being outdone in quite a few ways if not in it's entirety by just about every Spider-Man game that's been made since.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
immortalfrieza said:
Look, I get that nostalgia is high for the Spider-Man 2 because was the first open world Spider-Man game ever and it did a ton of things right, but since then just about every open world Spider-Man game except perhaps for it's direct successor Spider-Man 3 did everything Spider-Man 2 does and did it better. All the games had a decent enough story, but Ultimate Spider-Man had all the same mechanics, a new artstyle fitting the Ultimates universe, and a second evil protagonist to go through the game with. Web of Shadows had smoother movement and faster paced combat with techniques divided into red suit and black suit and a Hero/Villain system to give the game replayability. Amazing Spider-Man took the Batman Arkham games combat and stealth systems and adapted it to Spider-Man, creating an extremely fast smooth combat and stealth system very appropriate to Spider-Man with a load of interesting and thus finite side missions. Amazing Spider-Man 2 took a step back though, due to it's badly implemented Hero/Menace mechanic and less fluid web swinging with repetitive missions, but overall it still did it's combat better than Spider-Man 2 did and it had the conversation system to make the story better.
I wish Web of Shadows was still available anywhere for PC, and that Amazing Spider-Man wasn't a garbage port that crashes every 1-2 hours, because they are legitimately pretty good games. And I wish that Ultimate Spider-Man didn't have a 30 FPS lock, because it's probably my favorite of the entire selection. Ah, the joys of PC gaming...

I don't know, I'm just so SICK of hearing Spider-Man 2 getting the top spot out of all Spider-Man games all the time despite being outdone in quite a few ways if not in it's entirety by just about every Spider-Man game that's been made since.
It is kinda funny, because the only thing Spider-Man 2 still has going for it today is the web-swinging. I would say that's the one way it hasn't been outdone, but that doesn't quite matter because the swinging in the other games (at least Ultimate and possibly Web of Shadows) is still very fun.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
shrekfan246 said:
I wish Web of Shadows was still available anywhere for PC, and that Amazing Spider-Man wasn't a garbage port that crashes every 1-2 hours, because they are legitimately pretty good games. And I wish that Ultimate Spider-Man didn't have a 30 FPS lock, because it's probably my favorite of the entire selection. Ah, the joys of PC gaming...
Considering that I had no issues playing Amazing Spider-Man and still don't (in fact, I almost never have any issues playing even the most notoriously buggy games, am I just lucky or do I just have a decent computer?) "garbage port" isn't what comes to mind for me.

It is kinda funny, because the only thing Spider-Man 2 still has going for it today is the web-swinging. I would say that's the one way it hasn't been outdone, but that doesn't quite matter because the swinging in the other games (at least Ultimate and possibly Web of Shadows) is still very fun.
Actually I don't really care for the web-swinging of Spider-Man 2. I grew up watching Spider-Man shoot webs straight up into the sky all the time so having games that have no obvious anchor point for the webs (and most of them just have Spidey stop shooting webs when there isn't something above him anyway) isn't really an issue for me, and I prefer that over having to deal with the rather awkward and imprecise web-swinging that was in Spider-Man 2. I can't count the number of times in Spider-Man 2 where I tried to web swing and got this really short webline that forced me to slam right to the building, especially during a fast paced chase scene or racing.

With Amazing Spider-Man 1 I especially liked the web rush feature which combined with the combat and stealth mechanics just create such fast paced and smooth movement which makes it FEEL like you're Spider-Man in ways no game has pulled off before and I can't imagine how it could be topped, but I hope the PS4 one pulls it off.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Champions Online is actually pretty good and I would recommend it for anyone who liked City of Heroes. While the content gets old after reaching cap a couple of times, the free content is plentiful and should be enough to keep any fan of the genre happy for a month or two.