8 Superheroes Who Deserve Their Own Video Game

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Superheroes Who Deserve Their Own Video Game

Superheroes are more popular than ever, and that means it's time to get some more superhero videogames made. Let's start with these eight deserving candidates.

Read Full Article

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Blade had a video game, it was hilariously bad.

The tick had one too on the genesis, it was way better than the blade game.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
For the record, the Flash and Wonder Woman are both playable in Injustice - Gods Among Us as well.

Jan 12, 2012
I'd like to see a Flash game, but I'm not sure how feasible that would be. SR4 was fun for a bit, but felt entirely without challenge. Replace the ability to get shot by a thousand bullets with dodging those shots before they land and it's pretty much the same.

On the other hand, a Nightcrawler game would be totally doable. Quick short-range jumps that you can combo with attacks to sweep through a base in just a few seconds? Yes please. The only thing is that I imagine it would have to be Ninja Gaiden-levels of lethal for attacks to matter, because you can just BAMF away from someone before they landed a second blow.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'm going to keep maintaining that Wonder Woman has to be one of the worst characters in the DC Universe. It is a travesty that she is the foremost female there.

But yeah, all I want is a game where I get to deflect bullets with my bracelets, throw a boomerang tiara, or whip my lasso of obedience (the original name). [/sarcasm] You call them awesome accessories, I call them laughable. If done in a cartoonish manner then maybe it'd be fun in the same way Lego-Marvel games are. But plaid straight as though she's badass? Nope.

The only reason for a wonderwoman game would just be to shoehorn in a female character. Why not pick a female character that is actually interesting and worth playing instead of the JLA's secretary?

Z of the Na said:
For the record, the Flash and Wonder Woman are both playable in Injustice - Gods Among Us as well.
That's probably why the author mentioned that fact.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Lightknight said:
Z of the Na said:
When did that happen because it wasn't in their own blurbs?

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Z of the Na said:
Yeah, they are, but I still want full-size games for both of them. Call me crazy - my wife does.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
No mention of Cap. Marvel(Carol Denvers edition) She'd be pretty boss to play in a game.

The list above is alright. Daredevil is just to similar to Batman for my taste. I've always found Wonder Woman rather bland. I do agree with Nightcrawler and Dr.Strange. Those could be pretty awesome.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Superman Returns did super speed better than Saints Row IV, but it can still be done better. We would need to be able to control our speed more (like when driving cars in games) as well as slow down time to do more precise things like turning corners or saving/fighting others.

J-Dig

Oct 25, 2011
A first-person Ant-Man game could be great with scenarios tackled via a choice of resizing at any point and each size featuring its own advantages and hazards.

It would have to be done properly to avoid being naff though.

Doopliss64

Jul 20, 2011
Play Arkham Asylum/City with Detective Mode on continuously and limit yourself to just your fists and you essentially have a Daredevil game. Didn't one of the alternate characters in City even use batons?

Actually, building an entire Daredevil game as a kind of stripped-down Arkham might be really cool, in a "challenge run" sort of way.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
OK, so I kinda feel like a lot of these, mechanics wise, already exist and you could just reskin them to achieve it

Green Arrow- Far Cry 3 with just the bow (its even on an island)

Blade- Castlevania/Legacy of Kain/Vampire the Masquerade... also seriously? Vampire Hunting in games? hasn't been explored?Oh wait, Bloodrayne, that might actually be closest.

Nightcrawler- Dishonored, right down to the shadow stealth and teleporting.

Dr. Strange- Actually do agree, I can't think of a good example short of the ones where you have to make the symbols yourself on the DS. But he has Superman's problem that he's too powerful

Flash- Saints Row IV, like you said. And weirdly someone has tried to make that but well, see for yourself how far it got [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSw3YUnsCz4]

Tick- Did have one, but I also agree that it could be fun to do a Superman Returns style thing where the character can't be hurt but things around him can be.

Wonder Woman- God of War. Also unlikely to be that fun since she has Superman syndrome.

Daredevil- Batman Arkham games with the whole game in Detective mode.

--

Personal additions, Firestorm could be fun. Zone of the Enders style control scheme with a Sokobond style mini-game for his transmutation powers. Or Green Lantern done right with Scribblenauts style powers.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Vivi22 said:
Lightknight said:
Z of the Na said:
When did that happen because it wasn't in their own blurbs?
The author just keeps repeating various fighting titles as a means to say that this isn't what they're talking about.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I just long for the day when we get a proper good Spider-Man game. The closest they came was with the Spider-Man 2 Movie tie-in game. It got the swing mechanics down so perfectly. Sadly, that's all it did well. But it did them so well, folks still talk about it every time Activision/Beenox shits out another poorly thought out Spider-Man game.

Spider-Man has been my favorite since I was 5 years old. I love the character. And I so wish Marvel would find a Rocksteady level developer to truly make a Spider-Man game worthy of the heroes legacy and power set.

It would have to have the swinging mechanics of the 2004 Spider-Man 2 game, it would have to have Arkham style combat, the ability to stealth like Arkham, and an open world like GTA or Saints Row. And it would need some way to do Spider-Sense properly. Any of a dozen games have had "sense vision" mechanics, but that's really not what Spider-sense is. It wouldn't need a Batman Detective Vision style mechanic, more like an early warning slo-mo mode with a screen filter, but not something you could turn on and off at will

But most importantly, the Spider-Man license needs to be taken away from Beenox. They have that annoying habit of letting the game have all the fun while you sit and watch. They do Spider-man on training wheels. Which is fine for the under 10s, but for the players who want a challenge, well you're boned.

This is one of my two "dream games". This and a proper Jason Voorhees game where I get to stalk naughty teens in a game set in a camp site and I'd be the happiest gamer on Earth. (yes, I know they've announced something like this)

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
ZZoMBiE13 said:
I just long for the day when we get a proper good Spider-Man game. The closest they came was with the Spider-Man 2 Movie tie-in game. It got the swing mechanics down so perfectly. Sadly, that's all it did well. But it did them so well, folks still talk about it every time Activision/Beenox shits out another poorly thought out Spider-Man game.
That game was sooo good. It was the first time I really felt the thrill of being a hero and timing those swings perfectly.

How sad. All they really need to do is remake the game with better graphics and a slightly different storyline. I mean, that's it.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Lightknight said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
That game was sooo good. It was the first time I really felt the thrill of being a hero and timing those swings perfectly.

How sad. All they really need to do is remake the game with better graphics and a slightly different storyline. I mean, that's it.
If they did that, I would buy it and probably have as much fun with it as I did 11 years ago. But honestly, it'd be a missed opportunity. Because as fun as the swinging was, everything else was a busted mess. They'd really need to add in some better combat and such. But even just copy pasting Arkham style would work.

When the first Captain America movie came along they did basically that. Took Arkham style combat and made a Cap movie tie-in game that was surprisingly fun. More fun than it had any real right to be if I'm honest. Using Cap's shield on HYDRA agents was extremely satisfying. It had this delightful "BONNNNNNNNNG" sound when it would crack one of them in the dome. Very fun and high on my recommend list of hidden gems. :)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I'm down with a Daredevil game. Set it in New York, pack it with side missions, like Investigations and playing with his enhanced senses, add an upgrade system to unlock new abilities, have a radar pulse button, and you're good to go.
I remember the Tick's game on SEGA Genesis back in the '90's. Simpler times, they felt like.