8 Terrible Video Game Translations

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
8 Terrible Video Game Translations

Something was lost in translation for these 8 video games.

Read Full Article

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
The win screen for Stop the Express is nonsense, but it's enthusiasm survives intact.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
No love for "Welcome to die!" from X-Men? that was always my fave... but seriously... that arrow tip would have helped...

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
09philj said:
The win screen for Stop the Express is nonsense, but it's enthusiasm survives intact.
Was totally on my way here to post that one. Scores a bonus point for only offering one Congraturation, of course.

(Of course, it's older than the NES and from a system that had no traction in America, so nobody else was going to care...)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
These always made me laugh, bad translations (or spelling and grammar) can sometimes just add to the charm of a game.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
For me, it was a ps2 game called mobile light force 2. I got the game just because the back of the box was hilarious....ly bad.

The gem: Each level has a tougher enemy foe.
Runner-up: Highest score defeats the enemy.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The ghostbusters one just feels so Japanese. I keep thinking that if "You have brought glory to the Emperor" had been inserted somewhere, it wouldn't have stood out.

The Metal Gear one is one of the things I remember from that game, probably because it's literally one of the first things you see.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
"A great game."

I live in Germany. Grew up with the SNES mostly, and we got rather quality translations.

So much so that they sometimes changed the script and added unnecessary, local pop-culture references in Secret of Mana for example.

But they were a-OK grammatically and spelling-wise.

You poor natively English speaking sods you.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
No mention of the line "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance" from Street Fighter 2? The line itself isn't funny, but what it spawned- years of rumors of a secret character, and hundreds upon hundreds of (faked) methods to unlock him- still rests in the annals of gaming history, especially EGM's stunningly convincing mock-up of the character and its nigh-impossible "trick" to fighting him. Arcade owners across the country must've been dancing in the streets!

And to think it all sprung from a simple mistranslation of "Dragon Punch"....

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The Ghostbusters one always bothered me, to be honest (never played it admittedly). As in, the "justice of our culture." Um...Japanese culture? Western culture? Are we comparing it against ghost culture? Do ghosts HAVE a culture? Was Zool's intent to bring about the apocalypse with a giant marshmellow man a cultural misunderstanding, or, perhaps even a statement about the West's fascination with junk food? But we have Slimer - is he indicative of ghost culture and overconsumption? Have they...

...God damn it, you've ruined Ghostbusters for me!