8 Video Game Movies You Can Safely Avoid

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
I will disagree with you on Street Fighter. The thing with that is that it's two movies. When it focuses on the heroes, it's a bad action movie. When it focuses on the villains, it's a hilarious action-comedy. Between Zangief's simple-minded idiocy, Dee Jay's surrounded-by-idiots attitude, and of course M. Bison chewing his way through massive amounts of scenery, it's hysterical, and often seems intentionally so. So, basically what I'm saying is fast-forward through any scenes when a villain isn't on screen.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I think that the Far Cry film was Uwe Boll's worst, but it seems most people either never heard of it or refuse to acknowledge its very existence (both are understandable).

I actually liked the Street Fighter movie - most of the characters were recognizable, it was campy and fun (like the game) and Raul Julia's performance was extremely entertaining.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Doom972 said:
I think that the Far Cry film was Uwe Boll's worst, but it seems most people either never heard of it or refuse to acknowledge its very existence (both are understandable).

I actually liked the Street Fighter movie - most of the characters were recognizable, it was campy and fun (like the game) and Raul Julia's performance was extremely entertaining.
Far Cry was bad, no doubt. Hell, every single thing Boll touches is a heap of steaming dung. But Alone in the Dark is almost universally recognized as not just one of the worst video game films, but one of the worst films of all time, period.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
I liked Street Fighter as well. It's one of those in a bit of a weird position where it's hard to say it's actually a good film, but it's not actually bad enough to fall into "so bad it's good" territory. Like Flash Gordon, it's silly, camp fun where it's clear no-one involved is taking it particularly seriously, but at the same time they're not just phoning it in and have instead decided what the hell, why not just enjoy themselves. And of course, as adaptations go, you can't do much better than taking a game where people dressed in silly costumes punch each other and making a film where people in silly costumes punch each other. It's not going to go down in history as one of the best films of all time, but it wasn't an adaptation of Shakespeare in the first place.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
It would have been easier to list Video Game movies you should NOT avoid.. but then, getting to 8 would have been a challenge :)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
So, is there anything actually bad about the Super Mario Brothers movie or do people just scrap it because the cast doesn't fit into their vision perfectly?

It didn't bother me in the slightest when I was a kid, and I only see it as a unique movie now, because I really don't care if the movie is actually fun and quirky. Well it added to imagination in a different way that was pretty extreme.

Unlike Street Fighter which actually was really corny at times and wasn't as interesting as it could've been, though I could watch this over most new films no problem.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Does anyone else feel like this list could have just been Super Mario Bros + "Insert Uwe Boll's filmography here" and go home?

AvoidAnerD

Feb 21, 2015
I remember the Super Mario Bros movie. I used to enjoy it, but looking back at it, yeah I feel dumb for enjoying this thing that's in name only.

mrdeclandeadly

Feb 24, 2015
Could have added another dozen films to the list, if we've learned anything over the years. It's that game adaptations just don't work. Generally still watch them though, even if it is just to take the piss out of them.

Ok, I liked the first Silent Hill and maybe the first Resi. Can't think of anymore.

Also, there's a Bloodrayne movie?, I can't believe I didn't know that.