8 Video Games That Deserve a Second Chance

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
8 Video Games That Deserve a Second Chance

Let's face it, sometimes stuff happens and everything that can go wrong for a video game launch does. But, that doesn't mean they still suck! Here are eight games that got a lot better with a little TLC.

Read Full Article

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
If they removed the Always Online requirement from Diablo 3, I'd play it.

But Arkham Knight is back on my Steam Wishlist.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
D3 had a very, very rough start and I don't blame anyone for not coming back to the game because of it. That being said it's a LOT better now than it was back then and it's definitely worth a 2nd chance.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Like 008Zuly said, remove the Always Online DRM from Diablo III and I might consider it.
As for console ports, please make sure that the games actually support a KB/M style of play before you can expect any attention from me.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Master Of Orion (2016):
When it first came out?
Buggy, lacked features, and the AI was either completely omnipotent or completely incompetent.

Now?
A HELL of a lot less buggy, tons of features added in, and the AI is fairly solid.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
FF14? I think that game has beyond redeemed itself considering its coming up on WoW's player numbers and is the only other sub-based MMO to do so.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
008Zulu said:
When it comes to excuses not to play a game, this has got to be the cheapest one. It doesn't hurt you in the slightest to play the game on a system that's 99.9% likely on the internet.

If you're standing by the principal of the thing, then that bandwagon has long since sailed.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Makabriel said:
008Zulu said:
When it comes to excuses not to play a game, this has got to be the cheapest one. It doesn't hurt you in the slightest to play the game on a system that's 99.9% likely on the internet.

If you're standing by the principal of the thing, then that bandwagon has long since sailed.
It does hurt gamers. Both in the long and short term.
Can you watch Citizen Kane today? Could you if it required a switchboard connection beforehand?

Not to mention bloat, hostage situations, clerical/human/computer/geological/whatevs errors?
It puts all the power in the corporations hand and none in yours.

That it also seems to foster an apathetic outlook and a form of Stockholm syndrome only speaks of its inherent bad qualities.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Arkham Knight is in a playable state now and is genuinely a good game. A shame WB had to botch the release so badly. Key sites have it for dirt cheap if you're into that sort of thing.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I remember hearing about the glitches in AC Unity and Arkham Knight, so I waited until there were patches and updates for them on the PS4 before I started playing. Although I didn't remember glitches in the PS4 version, but I didn't want to chance it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Makabriel said:
When it comes to excuses not to play a game, this has got to be the cheapest one.
I currently live in an area that is for the time being restricted to 3G wireless access. And it is not the most stable system to boot.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
008Zulu said:

But Arkham Knight is back on my Steam Wishlist.
The PS3/PS4 version allows offline couch coop play.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Funnily enough, I was thinking about making a thread about this exact topic: how we treat games with a messy release that now are significantly improved. Usually only fans of the series keep an eye on the game improvements long after release. Most reviewers and LPs have moved on to the new games, and even publishers won't bother too much on creating hype for the new fixed version. So, how often do they go under the radar?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Fischgopf said:
CaitSeith said:

Too bad you pulled that number out of your ass and are ignoring that not all connections are made equally.

See, I have a shitty connection, reaching this site can be a choir at times. How the fuck am I supposed to play the fucking game? Simple, I can't. And it's entirely reasonible for me and others to complain about something that doesn't need to be present and stops us from being able to play the game.

What's unreasonible is someone with no investment in the title trying to give other people shit over legit gripes.
Err... I think you wanted to talk with @Makabriel

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Fischgopf said:
Yeah, I'm kinda at a loss myself, I didn't quote you.

But, while we're here. I think it's probably a lot of games that don't get another chance. Which is a good thing, Devs and Pubs seemingly need to learn the hard way not to release borked software, they deserve the failure, even if games that might have had potential never get to live up to said potential. At the end of the day, this kind of massive failure will certainly sooner lead to better releases then flocking to the games once they've been patched will.
I agree with you; but I'm playing devil's advocate because sadly publishers like Nintendo, EA and Capcom are already managing their game releases as if they were Early Access.

However, if the patched version ends up being great, consumers then are missing it. A great game that goes under my radar is always a shame.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Halo: The MCC really went down the hill with those huge server problems. Then they fixed them and it was alright again. And then Halo 5 came out and then it all went right into the fucking sewer instead. I legit want an apology from Microsoft for that bullshit atrocity.

And while I'm dreaming, I'd like a Ferrari.