8 Videogames That Would Make Great TV Shows

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Videogames That Would Make Great TV Shows

We've seen videogame movies, but we'd really like to see these games get their own television series.

Read Full Article

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. No
6. No
7. No
8. No

Look, just because those games look like TV shows just mean it'd make a good TV show. I mean L.A. Noire?! Rainbow Six?
We already have those, they're called Law and Order and every Cop drama and CIA/FBI drama since 911.
Just because it could be made into a show doesn't mean it should. Like it'd be easy to make an L.A. Noire show. Just make Law and Order in black/white.

Here are some better options:
MechWarrior. Giant robots and genetic engineering. Maybe center it on a Mercenary company? But then again that's just Firefly with giant robots...which I'm actually cool with it. Carry on, idea!

Mass Effect. Zoe Saldana as Tali'Zora. 'nuff said.

Shadow of the Colossus. As a 13 or 14 episode HBO miniseries? Yes please!

Warhammer 40k. Well, we'd have to go more specific. Like...DeathWatch. Call it The Vigil and have it be about a Kill-team's first few years together.

South Park: Stick of Truth. Honestly don't know how Comedy Central hasn't already made this one into a TV-show. [small]*Wink*[/small]

And finally...lets go with Stubbs the Zombie. A self-aware 50s future Zombie TV-show as a counter-weight to The Walking Dead's mawkish dramatic drama. Would be a nice pallet cleanser.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Deus Ex would make a really good movie. I agree, the SFX would be a constraint on the costs of making it a decent series, though it could be interesting with a lot of spiralling plots and twists.

Fallout would be an awesome series, a bit like the Walking Dead comic maybe, with the surviving factions eking out a life and possibly competing or teaming up with each other, with bands of raiders thrown in. I'd definitely watch it. Could take a few cues from Mad Max I think, like the game already does (and vice versa probably).

I'd love to see an XCOM movie, it'd be something like a military drama crossed with X-Files or something I dunno. The awesome thing about XCOM games pacing is that you're never really totally on top of things, each small victory feels even smaller when the next huge thing happens or arrives. And that endless desperation is what keeps the game tension up. I can't remember that cutscene in the game where they're all celebrating and the chief scientist chick is just shaking her head and walks off...cliche but awesome.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Rainbow Six as a TV series? You know what, I've still got that hole in my heart where Burn Notice used to be until they stopped making new episodes for it. A down-to-earth, gritty, realistic espionage thriller is definitely something I'd like to see. The political intrigue, the stories of the men and women of the Rainbow teams...

Yeah. I'd watch it.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
MarsAtlas said:
Silentpony said:
Mass Effect. Zoe Saldana as Tali'Zora. 'nuff said.
I'm appalled that this didn't make the list. The game even has a filter for film grain to make it feel like good ol' Star Trek: The Original Series.
Right?! I think we should ask for [User]FFronw[/User]'s Specter card and his Citadel Varren-Curry-in-a-Hurry membership bonus card.
He has proven unworthy of such culinary bonuses.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Silentpony said:
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. No
6. No
7. No
8. No

Look, just because those games look like TV shows just mean it'd make a good TV show. I mean L.A. Noire?! Rainbow Six?
We already have those, they're called Law and Order and every Cop drama and CIA/FBI drama since 911.
Just because it could be made into a show doesn't mean it should. Like it'd be easy to make an L.A. Noire show. Just make Law and Order in black/white.
Yeah, any particular reason why the other six are supposedly inferior to Mass Effect with whatshername as the fishbowl face?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
My issue with a WarCraft tv series is the same issue I've got with a WarCraft movie: the principle is sound, a nice big fantasy epic and those seem to be in style right now...but considering it's a firmly established franchise, that means that it'll play out in one of two ways:

1: The movie/series ends up picking sides, alienating/pissing off at the very least half of the fanbase. Side with the Horde? Alliance fans get pissed. Side with the Alliance? Horde fans get pissed.

2: The conflict will basically play out into a stalemate...which is just boring.

The only way to avoid this would be to essentially do what WCIII did and have a series of movies - or have each new season of a show - revolve entirely around one faction. While it could be done, that would require a lot of effort on the production part and patience on the audience part.

dohnut king

Sep 22, 2014
Any reasonably long game of Crusader Kings II. The maneuverings and shenanigans in Game of Thrones or I Claudius has nothing on what happens ion an average game of Crusader Kings II.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
There was a game that came out in the late 90's called "Nocturne", about a secret Government organization in the 1920's-1930's that dealt with the supernatural and paranormal (think X-Com meets The X-Files meets The Untouchables). It wasn't a particularly good game, but the atmosphere, setting, and characters were all fantastic. I think that would be an awesome game to translate to a decent budget HBO show.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
You know, I saw the list and none of them filled me with great wonder about seeing them as a TV show, but it reminded me of a 3ds game called Project X-Zone.

Now, THERE'S a game that could be a great one season hit TV show. Or, at least, a YouTube animated series.