8 Views of Largest Space Battle Ever in Eve Online

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Views of Largest Space Battle Ever in Eve Online

Space, the final frontier ... for epic space battles. EVE Online has had its fair share of fancy schmancy battles but this one takes the cake. With over 2,200 participants and over $200,000 at stake this one is for all the space marbles.

Read Full Article

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
This seems to be yet another example of EVE being one of those games that I love hearing and reading about all the epicness that goes on in there, but would never actually play myself.

Still, $200K for internet spaceships. That's serious business, yo.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
EVE is some crazy crap. Absolutely crazy. Both the time invested in said game AND the ultimate grief factor when you or your corporation or whatever gets raided by hostiles, or infiltrated and pilfered by sneaky bastards... Cool concept which I'll stay far far away from.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
It makes me cringe wondering just how many thousands of hours were spent investing/upgrading/adventuring in those ships... only to lose them all in a single battle.

I would lose my collective dren if it happened to me.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
Alpha Maeko said:
It makes me cringe wondering just how many thousands of hours were spent investing/upgrading/adventuring in those ships... only to lose them all in a single battle.

I would lose my collective dren if it happened to me.
Actually the ships themselves are quite expendable. Yes it can be painful to lose expensive stuff but it's not wiping out months or years of effort. Most people have dozens of ships available to hop into. Often sprinkled all over the map. Losing ships is a fact of life in EVE.

Mik Sunrider

Dec 21, 2013
As I look at those screen shots, all I keep thinking is my computer would get up off the table, pick up the monitor and beat me senseless if I went anywhere near there. The lag! I would be podded and probably take three or four minutes for my computer to catch up and let me know I am waiting back at the tank. Seriously, how do you even keep up with a battle that big?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
DrStrangelove said:
over $200,000 at stake
I really wish people would stop repeating this kind of nonsense. The amount of real money at stake in any part of Eve is exactly none. Nothing in the game has any cash value whatsoever. The only thing that you can do with real money within the game is trade it for in-game money that someone else has already made in the game. If a ship is destroyed, not a single penny of real money is ever lost, because it was created and paid for using materials that were generated exclusively inside the game.

The only way real money can ever be affected in any way is if PLEX, the in-game item that represents real money and allows you to trade it, are destroyed. But you have to be incredibly retarded to allow even the possibility of that happening, since there's no reason to ever take it out of a station, and certainly it is never involved in any way with the big battles that actually generate all this nonsense about real money.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Kahani said:
DrStrangelove said:
over $200,000 at stake
I really wish people would stop repeating this kind of nonsense. The amount of real money at stake in any part of Eve is exactly none. Nothing in the game has any cash value whatsoever. The only thing that you can do with real money within the game is trade it for in-game money that someone else has already made in the game. If a ship is destroyed, not a single penny of real money is ever lost, because it was created and paid for using materials that were generated exclusively inside the game.

The only way real money can ever be affected in any way is if PLEX, the in-game item that represents real money and allows you to trade it, are destroyed. But you have to be incredibly retarded to allow even the possibility of that happening, since there's no reason to ever take it out of a station, and certainly it is never involved in any way with the big battles that actually generate all this nonsense about real money.
Since you can buy and sell plex it is a way of converting ingame cash to real world cash. I agree with you but all they are giving here is an equivalent. If something is worth 1 billion in game its worth about 30$ in the real world. Cuz if you buy 2 plexes you have a billion in game.

Still I agree with you that it is kinda silly. You could do that with most games I suppose.

Neyon

May 3, 2009
It looks impressive but I doubt it was much fun. Spending months training up and building ships only to lose it in a skill-less zerg? No thanks.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
iseko said:
Since you can buy and sell plex it is a way of converting ingame cash to real world cash.
That's exactly my point - it isn't a way of converting in-game cash to real cash, it's a way of transferring in-game cash from one person to another. If you couldn't buy and sell plex, exactly the same amount of isk would exist in game because plex doesn't actually create anything.

If something is worth 1 billion in game its worth about 30$ in the real world.
No it isn't.

Cuz if you buy 2 plexes you have a billion in game.
And if you don't buy two plexes, someone else still has that billion.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Kahani said:
iseko said:
Since you can buy and sell plex it is a way of converting ingame cash to real world cash.
That's exactly my point - it isn't a way of converting in-game cash to real cash, it's a way of transferring in-game cash from one person to another. If you couldn't buy and sell plex, exactly the same amount of isk would exist in game because plex doesn't actually create anything.

If something is worth 1 billion in game its worth about 30$ in the real world.
No it isn't.

Cuz if you buy 2 plexes you have a billion in game.
And if you don't buy two plexes, someone else still has that billion.
Ugh, I understand that and I agree. But don't you understand the equivalent reasoning? You can't convert ingame cash to real life cash (not legally anyway) so your point is that ingame items have no real life value. True enough in a way. But since you can buy subscription time by buying plexes from other players. And those plexes can only be bought with real cash. This opens up a window to put a real price on in game items (i.e. ships and fittings). You can't sell a ship for 30$ but you can sell it for 1 billion. With that you can buy two plexes. This saves you from subscribing for another two months and thus you COULD say that you made a profit of 30$. If you were planning on playing for another two months that is...

It is a convenient way of putting a real life price tag on some battle happening in game. None of it is real but it gives a certain perspective to ingame events. Its like company stock. If a company is worth 200mill it does not necessarily have that. And after a bad press release it could be worth half that in a second. Were not talking about real money were talking about equivalents to give people an idea of what scale we are talking about