8 Weird Video Game Urban Legends & Hoaxes

Kevin Thielenhaus

Jan 29, 2015
8 Weird Video Game Urban Legends & Hoaxes

Spread in trade magazines and on playgrounds, video game urban legends are a fun little corner of the gaming community. There's no end to the hoaxes, fakes, and spooky stories revolving around video game, but here I'm going to focus on 8 (mostly) pre-internet tall tails.

Read Full Article

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
Huh, been expecting the Cow Level that was rumoured to be in the first Diablo to make it here. Not only was the hoax so popular it got made into reality in the sequel, it's also a pretty obvious inspiration for the Chicken Level in Dungeon Siege.

On an unrelated note:
Kevin Thielenhaus said:
But that hasn't stopped rapid fans for calling on Sheng Long's phantom inclusion in future entries.
I agree, some fans just need to slow down :D

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Ugicywapih said:
Huh, been expecting the Cow Level that was rumoured to be in the first Diablo to make it here. Not only was the hoax so popular it got made into reality in the sequel, it's also a pretty obvious inspiration for the Chicken Level in Dungeon Siege.
And it was also a cheat code in StarCraft: there is no cow level.

But speaking of Blizzard stuff, I do fondly remember the gem thing they had in Battle.net in D2. It was a simple UI ornament of a gem and you could click it to toggle it being lit up. Nobody knew exactly what the purpose of it was, but there were wild rumours about it - supposedly having all players light up the gem could lead to something, or having certain patterns of gems, or even having to light it up a different amount of times. People asked Blizzard what the gem does and the answer was "It's working as intended". Which was brilliant.

Later on the true function of it was revealed: it did exactly nothing.