8-year old starves herself to death

Paper-Moon

Feb 5, 2009
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/feb/10/sophie-waller-inquest

....Didn't anyone explain to her that her teeth would grow back? I got all of my baby-teeth pulled and I WAS pretty traumatized (even when I'm only at the orthodontists I tend to hold my breathe till I nearly pass out because I constantly expect them to jam a needle into my mouth), but not to the point I'd want to experience the even more excruciating pain of starvation.

What do you guys think? was it the dentist's fault, or the parents (it mentioned in another article that for whatever reason, the parents didn't find it necessary to force-feed her when she began to look like she lived in Ethiopia...), or does the blame completely rest with her?

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Didn't read your article as I read the same story yesterday, in it they claimed that the parents tried to take her into hospital as they couldn't force her to eat, doctors refused to admit her. Seems that blame lies with the hospital, though why they would have made that decision I don't know, maybe there was a reason. Sounds like the poor little girl's mind just broke from a traumatic experience, if she'd had time to get over it she'd have been fine.

omicronpercei

Feb 4, 2009
This, my friends is Darwinism at it's best. All right you little shit, if you wanna feel sorry for yourself and eat yogurt..go ahead...and nature will do the rest.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
omicronpercei said:
This, my friends is Darwinism at it's best. All right you little shit, if you wanna feel sorry for yourself and eat yogurt..go ahead...and nature will do the rest.
That's, well, not cool, man. Little kids are annoying, but they don't, in actuality, deserve to die.

And as a Darwinist myself, am I the only only person getting irritated by this internet usage of "Darwinism"? It's an old one, really.

Troll until proven otherwise.

omicronpercei

Feb 4, 2009
RebelRising said:
omicronpercei said:
That's, well, not cool, man. Little kids are annoying, but they don't, in actuality, deserve to die.

And as a Darwinist myself, am I the only only person getting irritated by this internet usage of "Darwinism"? It's an old one, really.

Troll until proven otherwise.
OK, well seeing as your a fan of Darwin, I think you should think about the basic principle of his theories before we start wagging fingers. I, at no point, said she deserved to die. However, the main principle of "The strong survive and the weak become extinct" is proven here. It's extremely unfortunate that this little girl couldn't get over this traumatic event. I have more of an issue with her parents. If they were any kind of descent they'd have shoved her little ass into the car to see a dentist. This whole "My child can make their own decisions" philosophy on child rearing is a load of shit. When I was a kid, If I'd have pulled that shit, I'd have gotten the shit slapped out of me...and it would've worked.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Paper-Moon said:
the parents didn't find it necessary to force-feed her when she began to look like she lived in Ethiopia...
What, she turned black?

Or is the term you're looking for, "malnourished"?

ThePoodonkis

Apr 22, 2008
omicronpercei said:
Dude...

I was scared of dentists at that age. One cut my cheek while she was watching TV when she was supposed to be cleaning my teeth. There's also the time when a doctor missed my vein 4 times when trying to get a blood sample. I don't trust the dental or doctor's offices to this day.
At a young age, getting hurt by someone who should be trying to help you can be pretty traumatizing.
My condolences to the family of this poor child.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
omicronpercei said:
And it'd also be "Darwinism" if her parents came after you with a tire iron for mouthing off like that. Suppose the rest of us should just pop popcorn and make side bets on how far your blood would spatter while nature does the rest?

(Besides, it being a couple of days away from Darwin's birthday, I hate seeing his name being abused even more than usual.)

So give it a rest, mange-chimp, and show some pack solidarity before the alpha male comes over and makes you.

-- Steve

Cxizent

Jan 14, 2009
RebelRising said:
I think it's pretty much in the terms and conditions of the internet that any "ist" will get massive headaches through (mis)appropriations of the "ism".

And unfortunately, in some circumstances you can only give help when they want it, not when they need it. I'm not saying that the little girl understood what was happening, or that the blame rests with her.

All eight teeth? Was that really entirely necissary? I wouldn't know, don't have an M.D.

GreenDevilJF

Dec 9, 2008
So what?, noone even tried to do anything?

Blame the people who didn't give enough of a shit about there kid to stop that.

Haddi

Feb 9, 2009
Jamash said:
Paper-Moon said:
the parents didn't find it necessary to force-feed her when she began to look like she lived in Ethiopia...
What, she turned black?

Yesh, little known fact. Starving cause spontaneous blaxploitation.

On a side note, I PARTIALLY blame the dentist for removing all her damn teeth, when only the removal of one was consented. Removal of teeth is a traumatic event for anyone. Hell, most people I know find the idea of losing a few teeth more disturbing then losing a finger.

On the other hand, she took it to heart to easily, and starved herself to death.

omicronpercei

Feb 4, 2009
Anton P. Nym said:
omicronpercei said:
And it'd also be "Darwinism" if her parents came after you with a tire iron for mouthing off like that. Suppose the rest of us should just pop popcorn and make side bets on how far your blood would spatter while nature does the rest?

(Besides, it being a couple of days away from Darwin's birthday, I hate seeing his name being abused even more than usual.)

So give it a rest, mange-chimp, and show some pack solidarity before the alpha male comes over and makes you.

-- Steve
Pack solidarity....mmmmm. That sounds an awful lot like conformity to me. I have news for everyone here...are we all listening? Good. First: Yes, it would be Darwinism. Second: Depending are the force used by said attacker but probably somewhere in the area of 6-8 feet. Third: I use the phrase Darwinism as little as possible, mostly due to the nature of peoples inherent stupidity effecting the process. Fourth: Her parents have no right to attack me, in fact, I should beat them for letting an 8 year old starve herself.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
Steve,

This is the escapist forum. Don't be suprised at periodic abuse of darwin. Most of the people here are seemingly social darwinists, and would love nothing more than to set up concentration camps to which all the 'stupid' people will be sent. Including this girl, her parents, and the dentist. Now whether those camps would include the PS3, XBOX360, or Wii owners will be up for endless debate in countless threads.

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
I would have taken her to a different dentist perhaps - one they could tell her wouldn't nick her tongue... or you know had a talk with her and tell her how vital dental surgery is... or any one of a million things a parent could have done in that situation not to let their child starve to death.

Haddi

Feb 9, 2009
thiosk said:
Anton P. Nym said:
Steve,

This is the escapist forum. Don't be suprised at periodic abuse of darwin. Most of the people here are seemingly social darwinists, and would love nothing more than to set up concentration camps to which all the 'stupid' people will be sent. Including this girl, her parents, and the dentist. Now whether those camps would include the PS3, XBOX360, or Wii owners will be up for endless debate in countless threads.
No no, the console owners are considered the smart ones fit to breed.

ALL HAIL THE GLORIOUS GAMING MASTER RACE.

Paper-Moon

Feb 5, 2009
Jamash said:
Paper-Moon said:
What, she turned black?

Er yeah, I was going for one of those "looks-like-she-lived-in-a-third-world-country" similes or whatever. Sorry if I offended anyone (Ethiopia just came to mind because I remember hearing about them experiencing alot of devastating droughts there).

Anyway, there seems to be alot of conflicting information about this story, some articles say that she had actually stopped eating BEFORE all her teeth were pulled.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
I've said before in real life, and I'll say it here too, little kids are too stupid and stubborn for their own dang good.

But seriously, the parents let this go on for way too long, they should have stopped it after day 1 and done what everyone else does; sued the dentist for malpractice. Oh wait, they'll probably do that anyways now.