New Daggerdale Screens Have the Pungent Stench of Mildew

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Daggerdale Screens Have the Pungent Stench of Mildew

Eight new Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale [http://www.atari.com/daggerdale] screens promise good old-fashioned dungeon-crawling action in dangerously dark underground caverns packed with skeletons and goblins.

I like my D&D old school. Give me a dude with a sword, a dank cave and a big bag of Cheetos, and I'll be happy all day. So from that perspective, the new Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale screens look pretty sweet. They don't actually show off much in the way of dazzling architecture or whiz-bang visual effects, but classic monsters and wet dungeon walls are what I'm after and it looks like that's what we're in for.
[gallery=228]
Maybe I'm expecting too much but to my eye, the screens don't look all that terribly far evolved beyond the old Skyrim [http://www.amazon.com/Neverwinter-Nights-2-Platinum-Pc/dp/B004GL1UH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304451682&sr=8-1] here. Daggerdale will be a fairly straightforward dungeon schlep with a focus on action, not standing around admiring the decor.

The "episodic, module-based" action-adventure-RPG Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale is slated for launch in spring 2011, which I can't help but note is very quickly winding down, for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
The alliteration is strong with this one.
Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale

Those screen shots are comically dark. There's no way anyone can think that's a good design choice.

Apr 28, 2008
I'm gonna be honest, I thought you were talking about "Daggerfall", and I expected a remake of Daggerfall. Kind of disappointed now...

As for Daggerdale, well to be honest, I'm kind of getting burned out on the whole midevil-fantasy setting.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I love me some narrative-light dungeon-crawling loot-n-wank RPGs.

Count me in. If the price isn't too high.

Apr 28, 2008
HankMan said:
Irridium said:
I'm gonna be honest, I thought you were talking about "Daggerfall", and I expected a remake of Daggerfall. Kind of disappointed now...

As for Daggerdale, well to be honest, I'm kind of getting burned out on the whole midevil-fantasy setting.
So I guess it would be feudal to ask if you'll be getting Dragon Age 3?
Dude, that was painful.

Apr 28, 2008
HankMan said:
Irridium said:
HankMan said:
Irridium said:

Dude, that was painful.
Serfs you right!
*sigh*

Something tells me its going to be a long knight...

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Forgotten Realms RPG? Okay, you've got my attention.

Wouldn't expect it to look too good, since it's a PSN/XBLA title.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I'm waiting for them to crank out an online grid based free form system that just converts the tabletop straight to the big screen. All you really need is skype or in game voice, or chat.

spruce it up with visual effects and the monsters from the monster manual, they can sell the campaigns online as well as in book form. I mean how hard would it be to copy pasta the map and overlay sprites ontop of it.

Add in mod tools for dms to arrange tiles, skill checks and options for edition swaps and you're all set to play dnd without the hassle of rummaging through pages, getting the group together and setting up the minis or coins or what have you.

No Dm no problem just have a less complex rpg elements and have the pcs choose from more rigid questions to ask the ai, and skill checks.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Irridium said:
HankMan said:
Irridium said:
HankMan said:
Irridium said:

Dude, that was painful.
Serfs you right!
*sigh*

Something tells me its going to be a long knight...
Jesus guys, start dividing by zero already!

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Looking forward to the game. The major disappointment to me was no Paladins or Monks, but I can look past that.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
I like my D&D old school. Give me a dude with a sword, a dank cave and a big bag of Cheetos, and I'll be happy all day. So from that perspective, the new Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale screens look pretty sweet. They don't actually show off much in the way of dazzling architecture or whiz-bang visual effects, but classic monsters and wet dungeon walls are what I'm after and it looks like that's what we're in for.
As soon as I read the headline I knew it was a Dead Alewives reference! Thank you for reaffirming my belief that Summoner Geeks is still an appropriate reference for D&D fandom.

PS: Where's the Mountain Dew?

Misho-

May 20, 2010
I hope it captures that starting campaing with your low level friends while fighting skeletons, zombies, kobolds, thoqqua, lizardmen, goblins, orcs... You get the idea... Just not 4th Edition... Please... Make it old school. :p <<<<< Not gonna happen.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
As much as I like D&D games, and the forgotten realms setting. It's set in the 4th edition forgotten realms setting, if memory serves.....not my cup of tea, if you know what I mean.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I'll probably pick it up eventually if its cheap or on sale. Not on the top of my list but still on the list I suppose.

ValentineUK

Mar 15, 2011
Onyx Oblivion said:
I love me some narrative-light dungeon-crawling loot-n-wank RPGs.

Count me in. If the price isn't too high.
I couldn't agree with you more. This game looks awesome! Keeping my eye on this one for sure.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
This game is a literal eyesore to me. I hate straining my eyes to see in the dark in real life. I guess this isn't for everyone. Still, goddamn.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I love me some D&D.
But I do not enjoy the visual effects in many of the D&D games.
Like in the NWN games.
Enchant a weapon with 1d6 fire, and you will never again see your sword through the blazing inferno.
Also, Stoneskin and the like.