Duke Nukem Forever PC Specs Revealed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Duke Nukem Forever PC Specs Revealed

The Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Pc/dp/B002I0JAJ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304456751&sr=8-2] PC specs have been released and it turns out that even if your system sucks, you'll probably be able to play it.

Button-mashers have it easy when it comes to buying videogames. All they have to worry about is which logo is on the box. Those of us with more refined gaming palates have weightier matters to contend with, however, foremost among them being "minimum system requirements," the arcane formula which tells us whether or not a particular game will run on our rig.

It's important stuff, so without further ado I present the Duke Nukem Forever PC system requirements:

Minimum Specifications:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.0 Ghz
Memory: 1 Gb
Hard Drive: 10 Gb free
Video Memory: 256 MB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 7600 / ATI Radeon HD 2600
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Recommended Specifications:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.6 Ghz
Memory: 2 Gb
Hard Drive: 10 Gb free
Video Memory: 512 MB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS / ATI Radeon HD 3850
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

You will also require an internet connection for a one-time authentication through Steam, which of course requires the Steam software to be installed, as well as the latest version of DirectX.

The minimum spec is actually pretty light. Dual-core CPUs are mainstream these days and if you're still packing one gig of RAM, you've got bigger things to worry about than whether or not you can run DNF. Same thing for the GeForce 7600; if you actually have one of those installed in your gaming PC, take the 60 bucks you were going to spend on the game and put it toward a new video card instead.

Of course, even that minimum spec is eons ahead of what the game would've required if it had actually come out more or less on time: the Quake 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Quake-2-Pc/dp/B000028U28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304457131&sr=8-1] engine it was originally going to use required a Pentium 90 with 16 megabytes of RAM, a CD-ROM drive and a 100-percent Sound Blaster-compatible sound card. We're a bit past that now, but better late than never, right? Duke Nukem Forever is very late indeed but will be out on June 14 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Source: Gearboxity [http://www.gearboxity.com/content/view/637/33/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
So...it's Steam or bust?

I sure hope Steam never becomes a total monopoly...

Anyway, I dunno what any of that means. Except for Memory, Hard Drive, Video Memory, and OS.

*blissfully ignorant console gamer*

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Recommended Specifications:
nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS

I fucking love this card. Sure, at it's average temperature it's on fire, but for years now it's been listed as minimum recommended.

Apr 28, 2008
Sweet, I match the recommended specs.

Not I just got to wait for the demo to see if its fun.

But I must say how I hate it when people are forced to use a program to run a game when they don't want anything to do with that program. Even when I use that program and like it, forcing others to use it is just wrong.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Everything looks good, but damn, 10gb?

Wonder what's taking up that space right there.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, it's been made for a decade or so, so no wonder that it isn't the Crysis 1 of this age. But graphics don't matter that much. At least i hope so...
Still, hopefully it won't be a let-down./fingers crossed

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
It's actually fascinating if you compare the specs now and the ones from back then. I don't even remember what components my PC had. It really shows how long it took for the game to get released.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Easton Dark said:
Everything looks good, but damn, 10gb?

Wonder what's taking up that space right there.
Pretty standard these days. Tomb Raider:Legend was that.
(Woah, Legend was? What was Underworld?)

Yeah but, geez, Mass Effect 2 was 12gb and that had, you know... Dialogue. Lots and lots of it.

What is Duke Nukem filling this up with? An inordinate amount of different stripper panties for the game to randomize? (Admittedly not a bad idea).

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
AnythingOutstanding said:
This is what we get for making it a console port instead of a PC exclusive like it should have been.

*cry*
'greed. Pretty high minimum requirement considering the graphics aren't exactly amazing.

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
Oddly low specs. Makes me wonder why it needs ´the latest DirectX version` rather than just 9.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
So...it's Steam or bust?

I sure hope Steam never becomes a total monopoly...
I wouldn't be surprised if that's just for the Steam version of the game, which I oddly still haven't seen available for pre-order on Steam. Many games having Steam versions which, of course, require a Steam authentication, but you can still buy a retail copy without.
AnythingOutstanding said:
This is what we get for making it a console port instead of a PC exclusive like it should have been.

*cry*
Because non-asinine system requirements that actually put people off PC gaming in the first game equals it being a lesser game, right? Good heavens I thought we were past that.
Vonnis said:
Oddly low specs. Makes me wonder why it needs ´the latest DirectX version` rather than just 9.
Judging by it's engine, a heavily modified Unreal Engine 2.5, I'd say that that just means that it's a very efficient and scaleable games, as games with an Unreal Engine often are.