Sony Sought Security Staff Shortly After Shutdown

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sony Sought Security Staff Shortly After Shutdown

Sony was already looking for an "Application Security Analyst" the day after PSN shut down following an external break-in.

It's been almost two weeks now since Sony's PlayStation Network a massive information heist [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109448-PSN-Down-Worldwide-Is-Anonymous-to-Blame].

While the fallout from the PSN break-in is certain to continue for months if not years, and people point their fingers every which way in blame, people on the internet have unearthed an interesting coincidence: Sony posted a job offer for a Senior Application Security Analyst [http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?job_did=J3F4GV6PLHHGXQC9WWF] on CareerBuilder.com on April 21st - a day after taking PSN down in response to the attack.

According to the job posting, the Sr. Analyst position is responsible for:

[blockquote]Ensuring the system/network security architecture and relevant policy and procedures are adhered to for the business; monitor compliance to the organization's information security policies and standards among employees, customers, contractors, alliances, and other third parties; perform information security risk assessments and serve as the internal auditor in determining system vulnerabilities and recommending safeguards to mitigate risk and ensure optimal performance; provide security engineering and integration services to internal customers and participate in a wide range of security issues and discussions including architecture design, electronic data transmission, and network vulnerability assessment.[/blockquote]

In other words, the position is responsible for quite a bit when it comes to safeguarding Sony's computer databanks. Which is exactly what the company needs right now, with its plans to beef up PSN security [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109692-PSN-Phasing-Back-Into-Existence-With-Enhanced-Security].

Now, I just want to make it clear - we here at The Escapist are emphatically not drawing any conspiracy theories here. We aren't saying that Sony knew its security was substandard, and we aren't saying that it did this before notifying customers - as far as we know, this is just an interestingly timed coincidence and nothing more. Sony is a big company, and it could be recruiting for IT security in departments that have nothing to do with PSN. And heck, that is a lot of Human Resources copy that needed to be written and approved in a short amount of time.

It's an interesting coincidence and it certainly makes you think, but that could very well be all it is.

Edit: Forum user JDKJ notes that Sony was looking to fill the position as early as April 17th [http://nationaljobs.washingtonpost.com/a/all-jobs/list/q-Senior+Application+Security+Analyst/l-San+Diego%2C+CA], which was before the hack. Well, that changes everything. Clearly, this was an inside job/a Sony conspiracy/done by Elvis alien communists.

Probably not. It's still interesting, though.

(Thanks for the link, Biodisaster!)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Why is...the day...AFTER...suspicious?

The day before would be...but the day after?

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Actually, it appears that Sony was seeking to fill that position as early as April 17, two days before April 19 when it became aware of the breach. http://nationaljobs.washingtonpost.com/a/all-jobs/list/q-Senior+Application+Security+Analyst/l-San+Diego%2C+CA

It's not a coincidence!! It's a conspiracy!!

*searching frantically for the ol' tinfoil hat*

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I can't help but wonder what the pirates think of this. After all, the hackers only copied information (instead of stealing).

Lol.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Anyone besides me get a very Glen Beck feeling from the wording in this article?

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
kajinking said:
Anyone besides me get a very Glen Beck feeling from the wording in this article?
Coulda been worse. It coulda pulled an Adam Barnes (NowGamer) and been headlined: "Did Sony Know There Was A PSN Security Risk?"

Personally, I prefer my conspiracy theories to be thinly-disguised.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
kajinking said:
JDKJ said:
kajinking said:
Coulda been worse. It coulda pulled an Adam Barnes (NowGamer) and been headlined: "Did Sony Know There Was A PSN Security Risk?"

I'm certainly not trying to spread any conspiracy theories; just the opposite. Our job is to find interesting news, though, and it's an interesting coincidence - but probably just a coincidence.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
John Funk said:
kajinking said:
JDKJ said:
kajinking said:

I'm certainly not trying to spread any conspiracy theories; just the opposite. Our job is to find interesting news, though, and it's an interesting coincidence - but probably just a coincidence.
Relax, John. I'm just yanking your chain. If you make it too easy for me to do so, you'll take all the fun out of doing it.

Apr 28, 2008
So... your telling me from the moment the PS3 launched until the hack, Sony didn't have a proper PSN security team?

Really Sony? Really?

Or perhaps it was a replacement. Which would make sense.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Irridium said:
So... your telling me from the moment the PS3 launched until the hack, Sony didn't have a proper PSN security team?

Really Sony? Really?
I don't think that's what anyone's trying to tell you. But since you appear all too eager to be told just that, feel free to take that ball and run with it as fast and as far as you can.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Irridium said:

Really Sony? Really?
HankMan said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I'd be more pissed at the fact THEY DIDN'T ALREADY HAVE ONE
I would be, but I don't have a PSN account OR much respect for Sony anyway.
I think this meant they were searching for a REPLACEMENT.

And the current guy saw this job search...AND THEN HACKED PSN AS REVENGE

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Irridium said:

Really Sony? Really?
HankMan said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I'd be more pissed at the fact THEY DIDN'T ALREADY HAVE ONE
I would be, but I don't have a PSN account OR much respect for Sony anyway.
I think this meant they were searching for a REPLACEMENT.

And the current guy saw this job search...AND THEN HACKED PSN AS REVENGE
Conspiracies theories. The possibilities are endless. So many possibilities, so little time. It's a crying shame.

Longer life!! I need a longer life!!

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
kajinking said:
Not enough chalkboard/tears.

OT: Hey, someone is offering jobs these days at least.