New Voltron Force Assembles Horrid Rap Song

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
New Voltron Force Assembles Horrid Rap Song

[nicktoons=800453]​

Let's Voltron! And play basketball! And read comics about robots! And ... Dance with an old lady in the street? Wait, what?

Remember how excited everybody was when <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107792-THQ-Assembles-Rights-to-Voltron-Games>it was revealed that the Voltron brand was being revitalized? Well, that enthusiasm may very well be dampered after you listen to this new marketing diddy for the upcoming animated series, Voltron Force.

The song is titled "Let's Voltron!" and is performed by SwizzBeats. Presumably, the marketing theme behind this song is to turn "Voltron" into a type of action verb (similar to Mountain Dew's "Do the Dew" campaign), but this certainly fels like a pretty big miss.

Of course, the music video doesn't really help things, thanks to the unanswered questions it leaves behind: Why are kids shouting about Voltron while they play basketball? What's with the old lady dancing? What kid can dance like that in front of his locker without fear of getting beaten up by school bullies? What exactly is the show going to be about?

That last question is answered, at least, thanks to the summary of the new series' plot, as detailed in a recent press release:

Several years after the final battle between the Voltron Force and Prince Lotor, a new evil threatens the galaxy, and the universe is once again in need of its true defender...

The original Voltron Force pilots, Keith, Allura, Lance, Hunk and Pidge, are joined by three new cadets. With the once-in-a-millennium opportunity to train alongside their heroes, these junior pilots will help unlock incredible new powers, discover secret origins, and fight to earn their role in the legendary Voltron Force!

Nick Toons seems to be forgetting what makes Voltron cool: Likable people piloting big robots and using them to beat up other robots (and, you know, sometimes giant space monsters, too). The plot summary is seems like a step in the right direction, but this promotional song definitely gives one reason to be worried.

Source: <a href=http://io9.com/#!5798398/rebooted-voltron-force-gets-horrific-rap-theme-song-lets-voltron>io9

FangShadow

Feb 18, 2009
I've seen this commercial many times over. Never have I wanted to kick someone in the nuts so much as I do the producers of this commercial and swizz beats right now....

Granted, I've been waiting for a new voltron series for a while now...but I hope they dont use this as the theme or the representation of series direction.

(EDIT: to clarify, I'm american and this commercial been on for a couple of months. I don't know how soon you fellows across the pond or in Australia are getting it. But if you can avoid it, it's better for you.)

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Can't watch the video, not available at my location :p

Can't really say I have watched Voltron before either.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
vansau said:
Remember how excited everybody was when <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107792-THQ-Assembles-Rights-to-Voltron-Games>it was revealed that the Voltron brand was being revitalized?
No.

Why would anyone want that to come back?

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
It's Voltron.

Of course it's gonna suck.

That like being surprised that deserts are hot and dry.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Thomas Guy said:
I didn't know Voltron was now a verb.
Only since the Bush administration.

What was wrong with just updating the original theme. That shit was epic... it had to have been for me to still be able to remember it....nearly 30 years later.
Crap I'm old.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I've been watching this commercial for a while, cause they always seem to play it when DBZ Kai is on, and thats just an extra helping of piss me off. But yeah, I dont have high hopes for this (not that I have high hopes for anything on Nicktoons thats "original"). Really if Avatar wasnt on that channel (and invader Zim) I would have no real reason to watch it.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
This sounds like another generic 'kids join up with older heroes and prove that no matter how old you are, teamwork can save the day'.
Then at least all the little kiddies can pretend that they will one day fill the shoes of those cadets.
So typical. It's your generic kids show with the Voltron logo slapped on the box...because, y'know, all the kids were in with Voltron...y'know, I've never even seen a picture from the series? I merely knew the name existed, and that's about it.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Another group of executives that think they can revitalize an awesome 80s cartoon, only because it was awesome in the 80s. *sigh*

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Voltron was never awesome. Unless you complete that statement with "ly bad".

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I don't understand...

What kind of sadistic pleasure do people yield from region-locking videos?

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
I don't understand...

What kind of sadistic pleasure do people yield from region-locking videos?
Trust me; in this case they're doing you a kindness.