Smithsonian's Art of Video Games Selections Announced

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Smithsonian's Art of Video Games Selections Announced

Votes for the Smithsonian American Art Museum's Art of Video Games exhibit have been counted and like all such competitions, the results will almost certainly inspire days of arguing on the internet.

In February we brought your attention to the Art of Video Games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107762-Voting-Begins-for-Smithsonian-Videogame-Exhibit], an upcoming exhibition being put on by the American Art Museum. It was cool beans for two reasons: one, because it represented mainstream recognition of videogames as a significant artistic medium, and two, because we got to vote on the games that will appear in it. The categories and nominations were a little confusing in spots but represented a reasonable cross-section of the industry, past and present.

Now the polls are closed and the results are in, and that means a fresh new opportunity to argue about it on the internet! You can check out the full list in PDF format at americanart.si.edu [http://americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/archive/2012/games/winninggames.pdf], but I'll give you a bit of a sneak peek: Pitfall beat out Adventure and E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial in the "Adventure" category on the Atari VCS, Zaxxon beat Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom and Carnival in the ColecoVision "Target" category, and Sid Meier's Pirates! triumphed over Little Computer People and M.U.L.E. in "Combat/Strategy" on the Commodore 64. You remember those, right?

Some of the selections are obvious - the inclusion of Psychonauts [http://www.amazon.com/Bioshock-xbox-360/dp/B000MKA60W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304624926&sr=8-2] isn't? Democracy must not be denied, I suppose, but given that the exhibit is meant to showcase "striking visual effects, the creative use of new technologies and the most influential artists and designers," I can't help but think that a better choice could have been made.

Five other games which weren't part of the voting process will also be available for visitors to play while at the exhibition: the original arcade version of Pac-Man, Super Mario Brothers, The Secret of Monkey Island, Myst and World of Warcraft. The Art of Video Games exhibition at the Smithsonian American Art Museum opens on March 16, 2012 and will through through September 30. For more information, visit. www.artofvideogames.org [http://www.artofvideogames.org].

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Sony Playstation 2

Action winner - Shadow of the Colossus
Adventure winner - Okami

Total win right there.

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
I was kind of surprised that Minecraft beat SC2 in the combat/strategy genre. Not because Minecraft isn't a combat/strategy game, but I thought SC2 would have more pull. But I guess Minecraft will continue to win the internet.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
Minecraft, two Fallout titles, Portal, Mass Effect 2, BioShock...I approve.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes? YEEEES! Somebody looked past the hilarious difficulty and recognized Retro Studios' ridiculously good art direction!

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Saw the list earlier overall eh...

Too much Zelda and Mario, it would of been better if they were all just bundled together thus having room for more games to win. It seems only a few games I actually care about made it. And Minecraft got in. *contains rage*

Other than that its still pretty neat and I'll be sure to check it out next year.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Those are all good choices. I would have definitely picked lifeforce over 1943 but I can understand the choice.

Also awesome shout out to Einhander which was one of the best of the shmup genre and really did a good job with the limits of the ps1 graphics.

I'm sad they overlooked STALKER which IMO the greatest game of the 2000s but it is hard to define the genre as it has elements of shooters, rpgs and adventures.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
YES! Fallout, Final Fantasy VII, and Metal Gear Solid are all in it!
Wait... Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, KOTOR, and Jet Set Radio Future aren't in it?
*sobs for several minutes*
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
WorldCritic said:
YES! Fallout, Final Fantasy VII, and Metal Gear Solid are all in it!
Wait... Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, KOTOR, and Jet Set Radio Future aren't in it?
*sobs for several minutes*
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
why not BG BG2 IWD IWD2 while we're at it !...

nightshadered

Nov 18, 2009
I can't say that I would picked all of those choices, but even if I don't agree with some of them, I still appreciate that the Smithsonian is even taking the time to put on the exhibit in the first place. This should help people try to take the medium more seriously.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Armored Prayer said:
Saw the list earlier overall eh...

Too much Zelda and Mario, it would of been better if they were all just bundled together thus having room for more games to win. It seems only a few games I actually care about made it. And Minecraft got in. *contains rage*

Other than that its still pretty neat and I'll be sure to check it out next year.
Minecraft kind of makes sence on this, it shows that games can lack defined goals and let the player do what he wants.

I do find the lack of Psychonauts an absurd, its another way of aproaching video-games and insted of him we have Halo 2, yeah, Halo 2 was very important and all but the people that will go there will only see what they already saw in their houses, a multiplayer FPS (someone of the family probably plays COD or something).

Apr 28, 2008
No Psychonauts makes me a sad panda. So does Ocarina of Time beating Majora's Mask.

But still, nice list.